How long do you wait for an adjustment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

principessa

#16 Post by principessa »

I've had my braces on for just under 4 weeks and I'm going to my first adjustment on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got the painkillers in just in case cos most of my friends who have had braces have told me my teeth will be a little sore for a few days afterwards. I must admit - I don't care - no pain, no gain!!!!! :lol: I want my teeth to mooooove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssfw

#17 Post by ssfw »

My first adjustment appt. after getting my upper braces was suppose to be 7 weeks but since I was getting my teeth cleaned 2 weeks later, they said I could make my appt. to get the archwire removed and get my adjustment done when I go back in to get the archwire placed back in. I asked them if the 2 week delay would delay my ortho treatment and I was told that the archwire keeps working. I didn't mind going in at 7 weeks and again 2 weeks later because my orthodontists' office is less than 10 minutes away.

My 2nd adjustment, which is my next appt., is 7 weeks from my last appt. I got my archwire replaced with a new archwire at my last appt. At my next appt. I will be getting my expander removed and getting my lower braces placed and not sure about what will be done with my upper braces - I'm thinking this is always known after my orthodontist looks at how my teeth are moving and how my bite is.

I do like having my ortho. appts. more often but I know the standard for adjustment appts. are usually about every 7-8 weeks but I'm sure as KK indicated it all depends on what they are trying to achieve. I think due to the great technology in the archwires and brackets, appts. are not needed as frequently as it was years ago which makes it very helpful and a time-saver for patients.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

katmc_tx

#18 Post by katmc_tx »

I've had my adjustments every 8 weeks since getting braced. If my estimated time is correct I only have four and a half months left so I'm hoping my time in between adjustments will be less. If not I'm guessing i'm going to be in braces longer than 12 months. :roll:
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Lisa65

#19 Post by Lisa65 »

mine seem to have been scheduled about every 6 weeks

braced4asmile

#20 Post by braced4asmile »

I haven't had an adjustment yet. First adjustment is 10 weeks after braces were put on. Can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm looking forward to it. Just means I'm that much closer to my goal!!

Anxious to be debanded 4/23/08!

jaxxie118

#21 Post by jaxxie118 »

My adjustments are every 6 weeks.
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months

Kell

#22 Post by Kell »

My adjustments average about every 4 weeks.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Anticipator

#23 Post by Anticipator »

So far mine have all been six week intervals with the exception of my wait for my current appointment which due to holidays, orthodontic conferences, and deleted appointments :evil: I will have waited 12 weeks before my next appointment comes later in the month.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

nimo

#24 Post by nimo »

I go in every 8 weeks without fail, but the next one is at nine weeks because I had to put it off a week for my class.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

stargirl

#25 Post by stargirl »

In the beginning I went every 4 weeks, but since getting elastics, the appointments seem to be about every 5 weeks. I like going in once per month, even if it is only to get new ligs.

KJM

#26 Post by KJM »

Mine are every 6 weeks usually. My next one however is at 4 weeks- I think b/c of a rotated tooth we have been fighting with.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

36nBraced

#27 Post by 36nBraced »

my first adjustment will be on 10/03/06, 16 weeks after my uppers and 8 weeks after my lowers.

seems like a long time for the top but my ortho ensured me that the top wouldn't be ready until then. i trust him.
Length of treatment: 18 - 24 months
06/13/06: Ceramic Uppers
06/29/06: Gum Grafts on 2 teeth
08/10/06: Metal Lowers

10/03/06: First Adjustment, 16 weeks after getting top braced; 8 weeks after lower...whoa !!!

ivo7

#28 Post by ivo7 »

I visit my ortho every month.
I think the ligs get soft and the effect of all the stuff is reduced.
That's why one month is good for me.
After every adjustment I feel a little pain which means the ligs are going again. +\+

Henna_the_braceface

#29 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

36nBraced wrote:my first adjustment will be on 10/03/06, 16 weeks after my uppers and 8 weeks after my lowers.

seems like a long time for the top but my ortho ensured me that the top wouldn't be ready until then. i trust him.
mine on the 3rd of october too! :)

ScottB

#30 Post by ScottB »

Kind of like most everyone else, they orginally told me every 4 to 6 weeks then as I was talking it over with one of the assistants during my initial brackets and wires she said I could probably get away with 3-4 weeks...that said I jumped on the 3 weeks. So for the first 7 or 8 adjustments it was every 3 weeks...to the day (really want these off). Lots of good teeth straightening during that time. Then my ortho put the breaks on and said working on the bite is slower so he moved me out to 8 week. But it looks like I'll only be in them about a year vs. a 1 1/2 years. So maybe I did speed things up a bit. Probably different for everyone.