Headaches and Braces....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blonde_Metal04

Headaches and Braces....

#1 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Hello everyone..
I am due to get braced on Wed. and I am just wondering about whether or not the pressure braces puts on the teeth and jaws cause headaches. I suffer from severe migraines, and am pretty sensitive to things that can cause headaches, such as bright light, running, getting up too fast etc...
So, if anyone has any experiences, or advice, it would be greatly appreciated to hear them :)
Thanks!
Spacers: 08/09/2006

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Good luck with getting your braces next week.

I have had spacers, an expander and upper braces and have never had to take any pain relief. In fact, I usually feel some pressure on my teeth during my appts. but that's about it. After I leave the office, I have never been in any pain or discomfort and hope this continues. I have had my expander for almost 7 months and my upper braces for almost 3 months.

I hope your ortho treatment goes well.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

No significant increase in headaches with braces here.
And I do get my share of headaches.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

akabraces

#4 Post by akabraces »

I get migraines too, but haven't had one since being braced!!! BUT I also haven't really had any pain with the braces, so maybe pain is something that could set you off, not sure...Hopefully you should be okay...

jmpmntwnty3

#5 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

When I got my braces, I did have some pain .. but it wasn't my head. It was just my teeth. You should be fine 8)
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

The braces per se have not given me headaches. I had some tension after starting elastics (which coincided with wire changes), but after 24 hours that disappeared.

You should be fine.

Blonde_Metal04

#7 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Hello everyone!

Thank you SO much for sharing, and wishing me well on Wednesday. The prospect of possibly getting more migraines with orthodontic treatment was really starting to scare me, but you guys have put my fears at ease! Thanks a lot... I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes! :)

Zondrae

Post subject: Headaches and Braces....

#8 Post by Zondrae »

Hi there, I get a lot of bad headaches too. I've got spacers in right now & my braces go on in 2 days! I actually think our headaches will get better once we get our teeth sorted out. Thats my theory anyway :)

Good luck!

Gennel

#9 Post by Gennel »

I havent really had any headaches with the braces except for one day. I had so much done to my upper teeth in one day that I had sinus pain and that turned into a headache. This is very unlikely to happen to you .
I know how terrible migraines can be . My daughter suffers from them and we recently confirmed it was do to her TMJ. Since being braced for 3 months I don't remember her having headaches which is great!

You will do great on your brace day :)

Gennel

jetxness

#10 Post by jetxness »

i get severe migraines (but now am on preventative meds that seem to be doing wonders...it only took trying 5 types :shock: ).

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is stress being a migraine trigger. i could see something maybe happening if someone found dealing with their braces or ortho stressful?

susieq182

#11 Post by susieq182 »

Migraines depend on alot of factors I have had them since from what I am told about the age of 4. They come and go. I am not sure if braces have helped releive my symptoms, but I have not had a single Migraine since I got braces. I also got on a new treatment about the same time I got braces which is why I am not sure if braces had anything to do with the relief I am enjoying. Just make sure you cover all your bases and dont set yourself up to get a migraine and that will lower the chance of them. Remember to keep hydrated, stay away from chocolate, red wine, aged cheeses, red meat, florescent lighting (i know hard to do), keep well rested, and try not to stress. Also if you think you might have migraines related to hormones ask your doc about options to help control hormonal swings. Good luck with your braces and hope you keep your headaches under control.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

katmc_tx

#12 Post by katmc_tx »

Hi and welcome. I have had braces for about 7 months now and I did have some headaches in the beginning. When I first got my braces it did not take long for my bite to change and I could not close my mouth all the way. I think it was in part to plastic bumpers that where placed on my two front bottom brackets to make sure my two top front teeth didnt hit. My jaw started to really ache because I couldnt close my mouth and then my head would ache as well. But about a month or so later my bite changed again and I was able to close my mouth all the way and no more headaches. At least not because of the braces. Good luck with getting braced and your treatment.
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

RainyDay

#13 Post by RainyDay »

I just started gettin over one massive headache. I just got braced today. I popped an advil and am starting to fell better!!! I'm sure this pain will go away in a few days. I thought I was going to get away with no pain as so many of fellow bracers here have. I didn't have much discomfort with the spacers. But these braces are really kicking my butt today!!! :lol:

Blonde_Metal04

#14 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Hello Everyone, and thanks for all of the replies!

I have been suffering from Migraines for about 3 years now, and have tried many treatments.... Getting braces is actually a treatment for me, because they will be fixing my bite, which will hopefully take the strain off of my jaw. I have TMJ so it should really help. I am hoping to not get any migraines while in braces-- of course this is far fetched-- but if it improves them like my Doctor and Ortho say it will, it is all worth it.

I remembered reading on here that someone was getting many headaches with braces, so that is why I wanted to figure out if this was normal or just rare in her case..
Thanks so much!

blondie111

#15 Post by blondie111 »

Hey there!

I too suffer from headaches, but I don't get any more than usual since I got my braces on. But I am supposed to be getting elastics here soon, so that story might change. I hear the elastics can be very uncomfortable, so I hope I don't get any more from those!

Good luck with your treatment!

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!