Early August Embracers!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kiwi_girluk

Early August Embracers!!

#1 Post by kiwi_girluk »

Yesterday was d-day for me and I endured 30 minutes of having my top teeth braced with Ceramics. Like many of you the first thing I noticed was the zig-zaggedness of the braces and wires and it really made me think something must be up with my teeth!

Growing up in New Zealand I wasn't happy with my teeth and my ortho always said it would be a cosmetic reason to get them fixed and always said I didn't need them. Likewise the rest of my family, but as I am currently working in the UK with my partner I thought I would surprise everyone back home and get treatment work here and see if anyone notices when I return home!! I am 26 working in a corporate environment, so the light estimate of 18 months for the full treatment I don't think is too bad.

I have had that ANNOYING Quadhelix in for three weeks to expand my top jaw. To be honest, I had got used to the appliance trapping food and it was getting easier by the day. I was able to eat normally up until yesterday when I had my top teeth braced! Back to milkshakes and processed foods! I am freaked that they will stain and though I felt no pain during or immediately after being braced, five hours later and now 24 hours later my teeth are throbbing!! Will the ache ever end?!?! I know I know, if they are aching it means that it's working, but still!! ARGH!!

Five weeks and I have an appointment for adjusting and I have also learnt this can be one of the toughest times through-out the 'journey' so hopefully the ache will have subsided just enough to allow for more pain on that day!

Anyway, just a brief intro and thank you to everyone who has posted fantastic hints and tips, I have been following them and will be sure to add anything I learn along the way!

Other august newbies to braces, let me know how you are doing, I am with ya!!

xx :lol:

Zondrae

Early August Embracers!!

#2 Post by Zondrae »

I'll join you - I had my spacers put in on Tuesday & go for full braces next week (15th). So far, so good. The spacers aren't too painful so far & I'm getting used to the feeling of "something" wedged between my teeth. I'm keen to get braced, but also a bit scared of the pain that comes next. :?

Smiley77

#3 Post by Smiley77 »

*hand up*

I have had spacers since Monday and will get my braces on this coming Monday.

Very exciting!
7 extractions 19 July 2006

8 spacers put in 7th August

I can't wait for that perfect smile

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

I guess this means me. I officially began my journey with a removable palate expander yesterday afternoon.

I'll post some details in another post, but to spite the discomfort it feels good to be an official member of the club.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

JettaDriver

#5 Post by JettaDriver »

Another newbie to braces here. I had my top braces put on this past Tuesday, the 8th. I get my bottom spacers in in two weeks and then my bottom braces in three weeks. My only complaint, having food get stuck on the arch in my roof all the time. I've been using a waterpik and that helps out so much.

Here are two pics, which I'm a bit embarrassed to share. I would've never dreamed to voluntarily share my snaggletooth. My problem is the right side of my mouth. I had two teeth extraced, a top molar and a bottom tooth (both on right side)to hopefully get my right canine (I think that's what it's called) can come down and my teeth can finally line up correctly.

Congrats to us all!

Brenda, 22 mos in braces, hoping for many future years of not hiding my smile (any longer).
Image[/img]

Julie08

I'm an August newbie, too!

#6 Post by Julie08 »

Congrats on your new braces, Kiwi Girluk!

I got braced on my uppers the day after you did. I get the bottoms braced in a few months. Ive had good luck so far with no pain from spacers or braces. (a little anxious about surgery in about a year, though). I've been taking the advice given on this board and that may be what has made this smooth for me so far. I hope it is going as well for you now also!

the_bufster84

#7 Post by the_bufster84 »

Congrats to everyone who started their braces journey recently. I got braced on friday! My teeth are still tender but they're getting better each day x

Upper Ceramics

wiredkitty

Aug 10 braceday

#8 Post by wiredkitty »

I got full braces on August 10 and had spacers for the week before. The spacers were really painful as I couldnt' bite down properly so I was on the soft food diet for that. Now I can actually bite down ok after 5 days in braces - not much pain just uncomfortable where my lips touch my braces. Its slowly starting to feel more natural - I think I went into shock when they first came on because they felt so big!

I have ceramics on my top front six teeth and metal on the rest. Although the ceramics look better (from a distance), they are bigger so probably not as comfortable.

I'm interested to hear that some people have full ceramics and KK said her top ceramics are curved and smooth. I'm so jealous! I wonder why my ortho doesn't have those type - I wonder if they are an option in NZ at all?

rocknrollteeth

Re: Early August Embracers!!

#9 Post by rocknrollteeth »

kiwi_girluk wrote:
> Yesterday was d-day for me and I endured 30 minutes of having my top teeth
> braced with Ceramics. Like many of you the first thing I noticed was the
> zig-zaggedness of the braces and wires and it really made me think
> something must be up with my teeth!
>
> Growing up in New Zealand I wasn't happy with my teeth and my ortho always
> said it would be a cosmetic reason to get them fixed and always said I
> didn't need them. Likewise the rest of my family, but as I am currently
> working in the UK with my partner I thought I would surprise everyone back
> home and get treatment work here and see if anyone notices when I return
> home!! I am 26 working in a corporate environment, so the light estimate
> of 18 months for the full treatment I don't think is too bad.
>
> I have had that ANNOYING Quadhelix in for three weeks to expand my top jaw.
> To be honest, I had got used to the appliance trapping food and it was
> getting easier by the day. I was able to eat normally up until yesterday
> when I had my top teeth braced! Back to milkshakes and processed foods! I
> am freaked that they will stain and though I felt no pain during or
> immediately after being braced, five hours later and now 24 hours later my
> teeth are throbbing!! Will the ache ever end?!?! I know I know, if they
> are aching it means that it's working, but still!! ARGH!!
>
> Five weeks and I have an appointment for adjusting and I have also learnt
> this can be one of the toughest times through-out the 'journey' so
> hopefully the ache will have subsided just enough to allow for more pain on
> that day!
>
> Anyway, just a brief intro and thank you to everyone who has posted
> fantastic hints and tips, I have been following them and will be sure to
> add anything I learn along the way!
>
> Other august newbies to braces, let me know how you are doing, I am with
> ya!!
>
> xx :lol:

Hi Kiwigirl,

What practice gave you your treatment, please? I joined the forum especially to ask you this, because I am in the UK and would like a similar treatment to yours if possible, but I am having real trouble finding anyone in the UK who offers non-surgical palate expansion to adults.

I am in London. I would like non-surgical palate expansion to give my teeth a little more room, so that they can straighten. I expect I would also need braces to straighten them.

The reason why I am trying to find a practice who had the ability to consider doing this for me is because, if at all possible, I don't want enamel filed off the sides of my teeth to make room (IPR/slenderising/shaving). I am now 43, having refused braces when I was a teen because back then they pulled out teeth to make room - IPR didn't even seem to be a thing in the UK back then, maybe because it was before Invisalign was invented and I am guessing they made IPR more common. My sister didn't refuse braces back then, so she had 4 teeth pulled out, and she has complained about the dentists having messed up her bite ever since, so I feel like I made the right choice back then. So now I feel like maybe non-surgical palate expansion might be about to become the next revolutionary thing, so I might be able to avoid IPR if I can find someone who provides non-surgical palate expansion. The reason why I want to avoid IPR is because I plan on using my teeth for another 50+ years, and they are very healthy (the only damage they have is due to accidents), so I would hate to get IPR and then in 20 or so years it turns out it weakens teeth in the long-term and things start to go wrong with them that cause me pain and spending that I wouldn't have needed if I hadn't got IPR and braces. A dentist told me I would need IPR for Invisalign, and the orthodontist I then asked told me I would need IPR for braces too.

rocknrollteeth

#10 Post by rocknrollteeth »

P.s. as I am a new member I can't send or receive private messages. That's why I've had to ask in this thread. Apologies for that - needs must!

rocknrollteeth

#11 Post by rocknrollteeth »

P.P.S. I know her posts are from 2006 so she may not ever see this, so if anyone else knows where she got her treatment, or knows of a London UK practice who would provide it, please do reply here to let me know!

djspeece

#12 Post by djspeece »

rocknrollteeth wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:25 am P.P.S. I know her posts are from 2006 so she may not ever see this, so if anyone else knows where she got her treatment, or knows of a London UK practice who would provide it, please do reply here to let me know!
Two suggestions: First, I'd recommend you start a new thread. The board has not been that busy lately, and those that do come would most likely ignore a post that is so old. Second. try the search function for this particular forum, which works fairly well. It's the small text box about a quarter-ways down on the left. After entering your search terms, you'll have to hit the magnifying glass to trigger the search.

For example, I searched on "London" (without the quotation marks) and came up with these results. As you know you'll need to make enough replies on other threads in order to PM anyone. It's a start, I suppose: search.php?keywords=London&fid%5B0%5D=13 .

Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

rocknrollteeth

#13 Post by rocknrollteeth »

Thanks for the tips, Dan! I'm checking through your London search now.

Kiwi_girluk: please still reply if you ever see this!