Getting Damon3 Braces 11/9/06, Need advice & exp stories

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bell

#1 Post by Bell »

Hi all, im 24yrs old and in a professional job, due to have damon3 braces put on in 1 month, excited and nervous at the same time. :lol:

I have considered getting braces for years now and kept putting it off, hoping my teeth would miracously straighten themselves out :idea:
I have crowding to the front top and bottom parts of my teeth.
I had my wisdom teeth out all three that was required in April 2006 this year, that was an experience in itself, i turned into a chimp monk :shock:

Anyhow i was just wanting to get some feedback from others as to their experience with the damon3 system and any advice.
My othodonist had this website as a link for adults with braces, i have found the site to be extremely helpful with regards to getting information and reading peoples experiences. Everyone is soooo kind

My job is very much face to face and im a little nervous as to how noticable they will be and what kinda response i will get from people i work with etc.
I keep reminded myself this is just the beginning of a great smile, i tend to close to my mouth when having my picture taken cos im self conscious about my teeth :oops:

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi Bell

I just wanted to say welcome although I haven't got my braces yet I hope to get them in September, they will be damons but I don't think they are the damon 3 system as mine will be metal. But thought it might help you to know that I will be going through similar when the time comes. I agree that this site is great. I don't know if I would have had to courage to continue had it not been for this site. :D

Regards

Joney

Bell

#3 Post by Bell »

Hi and welcome Joney,
Yes i feel the same, i was looking on the internet through my orthodontist website and i found the link to archwired, i have been on the site almost everyday reading all the stories. They are all fantastic and extremely helpful.
The Damon3 system is half clear half metal.... my ortho recommended i didn't get the full clear ones as ive been told they don't work that fast.

Im getting really exciting about getting them :banana: though, i know it may not look to nice at the begining wearing braces, however its the begining of a great smile.

My dentist, everytime i visit him he's like 'if you would get braces and spread out those teeth at the front a little you would have a fab smile' so i kinda got the courage and visited an orthodontist and went through the process of getting moulds, xrays etc and now im getting braces in 1 month!!

Keep me updated with your braces and the progress .... Good Luck

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hello!

I have had damon3's for about a year now and like them very much. Make sure you get a great doctor though too. My daughter is in regular brackets and I fear her treatment will take longer, both because of the brackets and because of her ortho.

Anyway. What else can I say about damons? I have never had any problems with them. One bracket came loose after almost a year while I was on vacation. I didn't even notice it was loose until I was flossing one day. I thought losing a bracket would be a huge event but it wasn't.

Your braces will be noticeable whether you wear damons, ceramics or full metal braces. The fact that you face the public should be fine. Think back to when you last saw an adult with braces. What did you think? Probably that you wished you could do it! So there are going to be people who don't notice and then those that do will probably only notice because they wish they had them or they know someone close who does and they totally understand.

Good luck with getting your braces!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

bluehydrangea

#5 Post by bluehydrangea »

Hi Bell...congratulations on your decision! I have had my braces on since 6/28/06. I have Damon 3s on top and Damon 2 (all metal) on the bottom. I must say, it has been a lot easier than I anticipated. I will admit that there are days that they annoy me, but that's typically because I want to eat something I'm not supposed to (like a carmel sundae or some fritos!). My ortho says..."if it comes in a plastic bag...and ends in the letter ""o""...don't eat it!!!" I have worked in corporate America my entire career and it's amazing to me how many people just have not noticed my braces at all! You will be fine and you'll look fantastic when they come off! :lol:

LoobyLou

#6 Post by LoobyLou »

Hi Bell and welcome!

I have Damon 3s top and bottom and have no problem. I don't think they're any worse or better particularly than any other type of braces and I am in braces for the 2nd time round after having standard braces as a teenager.

Working in customer services I have to work face to face as part of my role and I don't feel it makes a blind bit of difference. No-one bats an eyelid and I just carry on as if they weren't there. In fact, at the moment I am sporting the attractive band-across-the-front look and no-one seems bothered by that either.

Well, there was one person who spoke to the band rather than me which I thought was amusing, but generally speaking, you're in braces too long to worry about them and if you don't, no-one else with bother about them either.

Good luck with your braces journey!!
LoobyLou xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

Bell

#7 Post by Bell »

LoobyLou, thanks for your feedback, much appreciated, im very excited about getting my braces in less than a month. Looking forward to it.
Im logging onto this site everyday :lol: just to browse through other peoples experiences, everyone has been so helpful :D

Xero

#8 Post by Xero »

You said you're getting braces in one month. 11/09/06 isn't exactly a month.
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

Betty Bat

#9 Post by Betty Bat »

Xero,
It's the difference between European (dd/mm/yy) and US (mm/dd/yy) date formats. I believe that Bell said s/he is getting braces on September 11 - 11/09/06 European and 09/11/06 US. So that's about a month away.

Welcome, Bell! I have Damon 2's on my lowers and sapphire (clear) on my uppers. I've had a little trouble with the Damon doors sticking because I'm a big plaque producer. But otherwise OK.

Bell

#10 Post by Bell »

Thanks Betty Bat, yes there is a difference between identifying months in comparison to other countries :lol: I couldn't of replied better myself :P

i can't wait to get my braces!!! :banana:

Im addicted to this site, ive found such helpful info its fantastic, every one is really kind and helpful.

Xero

#11 Post by Xero »

Wow, that's interesting. I thought there was only a time difference. I guess there's a date difference too!
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

Bell

#12 Post by Bell »

Hi all and thank you for your advice and stories.... im not as nervous about getting my braces. infact im excited!!

If anyone has any pics of what their damon3's look like on them pls share if you can :lol:

I will keep you all updated with my progress :D
~Damon 3 Braces top and bottom~
~Braced on 11th September 2006~

Destor

#13 Post by Destor »

Hey there Bell,

Well I've had Damon 3s for about mmm, 8 months now (wow, it doesnt seem like that long), and have had very few problems with them. The brackets themselves are suprisingly comfortable, have barely even needed to use wax or anything, and when I did it was due to broken wires.

When it comes to people noticing them, well people will notice them regardless of what type of brackets they are, if they look close enough. I was suprised to find out though that some people I talked to occasionally, weren't even aware that I had braces until mentioning them, but pretty sure that's just people not paying attention to teeth in general :)

regardless, I'm sure they'll look fine, hope your treatment goes well!
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

Bell

#14 Post by Bell »

Hi all ~
I had my impressions on Thursday 31 Aug 06 (last week) and that went fine, was in and out within approx 6 mins.

Not long now :jump: to B-day
Pretty excited now, looking forward to getting them put on. Just not looking forward to the discomfort of getting used to them in the first week. +\+
i have also scheduled to take a week off work so i can also relax ~ more of an excuse to take a long deserved week off ~ :-Z

I have stocked up on lip balm, wax and im going to buy some sea salt today so i can rinse my mouth a few times a day when i get braces put on. :pinkbraces:

Do you think its a good idea to take 1 nurofun/advil before going in and getting braces put on? ive heard by speaking to a few people on this forum that its helpful....

I hope to place some pics when i get my braces on for you all to see, until then thank you all for your support and advice. Speak to you all soon
~Damon 3 Braces top and bottom~
~Braced on 11th September 2006~

lionfish

#15 Post by lionfish »

Bell wrote:
Do you think its a good idea to take 1 nurofun/advil before going in and getting braces put on? ive heard by speaking to a few people on this forum that its helpful....
Bell, it's a matter of preference. I chose not to do this and see how I went. As it turned out, I did not need painkillers.

A week off work....half your luck. Enjoy the fine weather we're having now.