newbie/upper braces questions.. help

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

charminthingy

newbie/upper braces questions.. help

#1 Post by charminthingy »

hi,
well i was planning to get braces.. i was wondering if it's possible just to get upper ones (only one of my teeth is protruding very much esp this summer... and is quite obvious) and would that mean it's gonna cost half the price than of the normal?

i'm financially stricted, so i was wondering, what are some dental insurances, and what's the average quote.. a year?

by the way, don't ceramic braces work just as well as the normal ones?
thanks.

LoobyLou

#2 Post by LoobyLou »

Charminthingy, I nearly just got top braces to close up a few gaps as that was all I wanted doing but it turned out that if I had have done that my teeth wouldn't have fitted together properly and they probably would have moved back again so I opted for full treatment.

Consider your options but make sure, if you go for the half option, that it won't work out more expensive in the long run...

LoobyLou xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

fitchick

#3 Post by fitchick »

Hi Charminthingy,

Firstly welcome, you will find all your answers on here.

I wondered whether my ortho would let me get away with just having my uppers done as my lowers weren't as bad as my uppers. As it happens, that wasn't an option if I wanted them done properly. Now the lowers are moving I am so glad that I am having them done too.

I suggest going to have a chat with an ortho and see what work they recommend. Then see whether the quote is acceptable to you. Most offer payment schemes and you may find that they have an option that suits you. If you are financially restricted then I'd discuss that with them too and see what they can suggest. It may be worth you taking advice from a few ortho's to find the one that best suits your requirements.

I hope ceramics work as well as the normal ones because I'm having ceramics on my uppers and they need lots of work!

Good Luck to you and I hope that you find the right solution. Hopefully we will all be reading your story soon.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi charminthingy,

When I went in for my consultation, my orthodontist said they may be able to correct my crossbite and overjet without the lower braces but if they couldn't get the bite corrected from my crossbite, then I would also need to get the lower braces. He gave me the two prices, one for the upper only and one for full braces - for uppers only, it was 25% less then if I was to get full braces. I didn't have to decide then, I just had to wait to see how my teeth were moving. The fees depends on your orthodontist.

I currently just have upper braces and at my last appt., he told me that with full braces, the results would be better then if I just had the upper braces only. I had already decided that if this was the case then I would inform my orthodontist that I would proceed with full braces. I will be getting my lower braces at my next appt.

If ortho treatment is going to be difficult due to financial reasons, you may want to ask your ortho if they have a payment plan or just take the time to save some extra money and proceed with ortho treatment at a later time. In my personal opinion, if you are going to have to wear braces, you might as well be sure all of your teeth are aligned the way they should be. Quite often, patients don't realize what other ortho problems they have, people tend to notice what bothers him/her the most. Also, be sure to go to multiple consultations - I went to 4 until I found the person I felt most comforatble with and agreed to their plan for orthodontic treatment.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08