Chemotherapy and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

saibass

Chemotherapy and braces

#1 Post by saibass »

Has anyone had any experience dealing with chemotherapy treatments and braces? I start chemo on Thursday after being diagnosed with breast cancer in July. I'll be sucking on ice chips during the treatment so that the drugs are less likely to go to my mouth. I've read that it can cause mouth sores and our reliable salt water rinse is the biggest ease in comfort for that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them!

Saibass

Nikkiekoala

#2 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I don't have any suggestions but I wanted to send my best wishes and prayers for complete healing.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

My prayers for you that you wil have an easy time of your chemo treatments. I found a website you might want to visit. I know there are many different types of chemo and each person's experience is different. The best advice I found on this site was to go visit a dentist before if you have time.

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/O ... Mouth.cvsp

Please let us all know how things go!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

saibass, I also wanted to send you my best wishes and hope that your chemotherapy goes well.

You may want to call your orthodontist and ask if s/he has any suggestions.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Again, I can't speal of chemo and braces, but am sending lots of positive thoughts your way for a full recovery.

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

All good wishes to you for a complete recovery.

You might want to read the article that Lynn posted on the main ArchWired page: "Are you taking an Osteoporosis Drug, or receiving cancer treatment?" That was a very specific interaction, but it's the only thing I remember reading.

Pirate Wench

#7 Post by Pirate Wench »

All the Best Wishes for a speedy healing process. I know chemo can be hard on a person in many ways so take care and get plenty of rest!

I hope you find out all the info you need about chemo and braces.....unfortunately, I don't have any answers.

rsprouse

Re: Chemotherapy and braces

#8 Post by rsprouse »

Has anyone had any experience dealing with chemotherapy treatments and braces? I start chemo on Thursday after being diagnosed with breast cancer in July. I'll be sucking on ice chips during the treatment so that the drugs are less likely to go to my mouth. I've read that it can cause mouth sores and our reliable salt water rinse is the biggest ease in comfort for that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them!

Saibass
Try and get in to see your Dentist to get a baseline before you start chemo. If you call the office tell them what is going on and I am sure they will find a way to fit you in.

Mouth sores, dry mouth, and inflammation are common side effects. They often cause rampant decay (lotsa cavities) so it is important to keep an eye on your mouth. Do not use any alcohol based rinses as they will dry your mouth more. Suck on ice chips if you feel dry and make sure to stay hydrated by drinking lots of fluids. Sugar free gum or candy is good, if you can chew anything with Xylitol that will offer a little extra protection. Rinse with a small mixture of baking soda, salt, and water if you have any ulcerations. And make sure you use a fluoride toothpaste and floss really well. Most dentist's will write you a script for a rinse, I would recommend PreviDent. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. If you have any specific questions on what to expect feel free to PM or Email me.

Best,
Rory

Kell

#9 Post by Kell »

Best of luck with all your treatments. I hope that everything goes as well as it possibly can and that you have a speedy recovery.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

lilonething

#10 Post by lilonething »

My aunt didnt have braces when she was going through chemo, but she did have mouth ulsers and the usual inflammation. Like others have said, baking soda rinses and salt water were most effective. I think the rinse that Rory was mentioning would be a good idea because the truth is, when you feel so rough from the treatment, the last thing you worry about is flossing and sometimes even brushing is too painful because of sores. Everyone is different and I hope that you will have lots of strength and energy throughout treatment. How many chemo sessions do you need? Would it be worth taking the braces off and wearing a bonded retainer for a while and resuming treatment afterwards? The only reason I suggest this is that we have enough sores with braces and no chemo. It might feel like a bit much all together.

Wishing you strength and healthiness ! Best wishes for your recovery!

fitchick

#11 Post by fitchick »

Hi Saibass,

I am sending my best wishes and support to you. I recommend salt water rinses to keep the mouth ulcers at bay. Can your ortho recommend anything else?

Stay positive and strong and I wish you a healthy recovery.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saibass

RE: Chemotherapy and Braces

#12 Post by saibass »

Thanks for all of your positive energy, support and tips. When I was first diagnosed this summer, I had a cleaning, so that has already been taken care of. I have my 6th adjustment this coming Monday, 4 days after my first treatment, so he will be able to give me further advice and see if anything has started to erupt within my mouth. I will have 6 treatments over 18 weeks, followed by 6 weeks of radiation. The oncologist has already informed me that the braces will not interfere with the treatments. So probably I'll have a new head of hair and a dazzling smile, all about the same time next summer! And pink is now MY favorite color for ligatures!

saibass

Joanna20

#13 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi! You must be going through quite a difficult time I imagine. Hopefully it will all be fine in a while.
I've never read any article that mention chemo and braces, but I'm sure u'll find something if u google it, or in some orthodontic websites.

Best of luck with getting better (both cancer and teeth wise)! If u ever need to vent, this is a great place. U can PM me if u want to!
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February