Few questions???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Few questions???

#1 Post by newmetal »

Does all brace fittings include elastics? Do you get them straight away when you get braced?

What kind of things should i expect when i first get braced, feelings etc.....What did you all go through???

How long untill your speech was back to near as normal as it could be...?

Many Thanks

totalwise

#2 Post by totalwise »

Ive had elastics fitted on my 3rd adjustment. The elastics were put in to help close the gap that's present from the extraction.

The elastics have made a minimal difference to be honest, and I cannot even notice the movement. Maybe it's just my perception. But I will speak to the ortho the next time I seem him and ask for a much tighter means.

I'll be brutally honest with you, when I first got braced, the second I walked of the orthos chair and started talking, I regretted it so much. I thought to myself, what the hell have I done? I started talking really funny, it was difficult to pronounce words and it made me feel like I was 13 again.

However I started talking normal again (I hope) after about a week or so, the more practice you get the better your speaking becomes. However a few people who I've spoken to way before my treatment have commented on how my voice has changed. But not in a negative way, a lot of girls told me how sexy my voice sounds so it's not all bad.

I'm not a 'proud' brace wearer like a lot of people on here seem to be, but I do understand that I need to go through this in order to correct my smile, my old smile took awat all of my confidence in social situations. So it was a remedy that needed to be taken.

I simply cant wait to get the braces off, I hate it when the ligatures start tinging, I hate it when I'm have dinner with someone and I have to be really self conscious about food getting stuck inbetween the brackets, I hate the fact that I get plaque forming around my brackets, I hate the fact that my braces have caused my appetite to go slightly and that I have started losing weight.

However despite all of this, if I could go back in time before the treatment and decide if I want to go ahead with this treatment or not, I would still without doubt go for this treatment.

Everyones view on this is different, however I strongly believe that a good smile is absolutely vital in this day in age. Having a bad smile as almost like not washing or not shaving or burping/farting in public. A smile says a million things about you, it is an indication of how well you look after youself, how highly you think of yourself, your general health, your levels of hygiene etc etc.

jetxness

#3 Post by jetxness »

i got my braces put on july 12th 2006. so i am pretty new myself. no elastics or mention of them yet.

personally i think my speech has been pretty fine from the start with braces on ...now if i have the 'whatever that thing is in the top of my mouth' plate/appliance in i do notice a big difference. however, after about a month or so things are much better than when i first got it in...i hope the progress continues in time for going back to university in the fall.

i haven't been using wax because i find it annoying to take out...but on a bad day it is nice to have.

treatment is pretty individual depending on what the ortho is trying to fix, his/her training/technique and other factors like your age, condition of your gums/teeth etc.

lionfish

Re: Few questions???

#4 Post by lionfish »

newmetal wrote:Does all brace fittings include elastics? Do you get them straight away when you get braced?

What kind of things should i expect when i first get braced, feelings etc.....What did you all go through???

How long untill your speech was back to near as normal as it could be...?

Many Thanks
Hi Newmetal,

I was pretty scared in the weeks leading up to having my braces attached, but once on I found the adjustment period quite short (couple of weeks). I also found that there was no pain, only pressure and that the pressure diminished after the first few days. I had no need for painkillers.

Because I've got linguals on my top teeth, I had some initial problems with speech, but with practice this got better to the point that my speech is now about 99% of what it was before (or so it sounds to me and we are our harshest critics, so it must be pretty good).

I got elastics 6 months into treatment. I have a lateral open bite and elastics are what will help close that down. They are in a box configuration around all my premolars and the only hassle is that they keep wanting to break loose when I'm eating!

Kimber

#5 Post by Kimber »

Welcome to the club! I can of course only speak for my experience since everyone is different. I've had braces for a couple of months now, so far just on the top and two bands on the bottom. He banded all the molars at once, but I'm waiting till the end of this month to get the brackets and archwire for the bottoms so I wouldn't bite them off.

The first thing they did was put spacers on either side of the molars that were getting banded. Those puppies went to work right away, pushing things around so there would be enough space around those teeth for them to put the bands on. They were annoying because it just feels like something between your teeth that you want to pick out. Within a couple of days, my teeth were so sore I couldn't chew anything with my back teeth. That's actually been the worst of my pain -- just when I try to bite. Keep lots of SOFT food on hand -- there are a ton of great posts with advice on food on this site. We all become very food obsessed those first few weeks, I think :-)

A week later they put the brackets and archwire on the top. I went from not being able to chew on the molars to not being able to bite into anything with my front teeth for several weeks. I only really hurt once -- the day after I got banded and it was an ache that went right up into my nose! Most of the time it was a tingling sensation around all the teeth that was quite pleasant really. I missed it when it went away!

My worst problem has been the nasty hooks that stick out of the backs of my molars on the top. They shredded my tongue pretty badly the first week, but with wax and salt-water rinses, they've toughened up. They've also caused me the most problems in speaking, too. And I've found that as my teeth have shifted (and it's amazing how much they've moved in so short a time!) that my speech changes. Most of the time it's fine though. Drinking lots of water so your mouth doesn't dry out and wearing lots of chapstick or lipgloss really helps so your lips don't get stuck on the brackets.

Good luck -- and if you do experience discomfort those first few weeks, know that it does pass and it's remarkable how quickly you get used to having these things in your mouth!
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!