Got Braces thursday!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tamsteve

Got Braces thursday!

#1 Post by tamsteve »

Hello, everyone i am new to this board. I have really enjoyed the articles on this website....it helped me prepair for what was to come! I got my braces thursday and it hasn't been to bad. He only put the top on for now. the bottom will be in 6 weeks. i have alot of tenderness on my teeth. More so on the front teeth for some reason. I couldn't floss cause these teeth were so sensitive but, i have now flossed. My waterpik helps out alot too.but, i did buy a threader so it is easier to get the floss in!! I also have canker sores...but, they aren't to bad. I haven't used the wax yet cause i heard the sooner your mouth toughnes up to braces the better. Plus, my canker sores aren't to bad. I ate SOFT food all weekend!! I would keep a diary with photos but, i have no clue how to submit a story in here. I felt weird at first with the idea of braces at my age.....39, but, I am glad i did it. It's funny cause we are going to my hubby's 20th high school reunion saturday and i have braces!! I can imagine my bottom teeth will probually hurt more though. They are really crowded bad. Well, i will update later..... :o

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi tamsteve,

Congratulations on getting your braces and hope your mouth feels better soon.

In response to your post about not using wax,

"haven't used the wax yet cause i heard the sooner your mouth toughnes up to braces the better"

don't do this to yourself. I know because I had the same thoughts. When I got my expander on my upper arch, my tongue was so sore from the constant rubbing and probably from the foreign appliance being in my mouth. After about a week of a sore tongue, I decided to use the warm saltwater rinse a few times a day and what a relief it was. I felt better that same day and lots better after a couple days. I also used wax on the areas on the expander making my tongue sore. Per KK, she said her ortho suggests using this rinse throughout ortho treatment. I used this rinse often if my tongue/mouth is sore and a few days a week otherwise but I'm sure daily would be better. In fact, I think the warm saltwater rinse helps in making your mouth toughen up. There's no need to suffer like this when going through ortho treatment. Also, when I got my upper braces, I had no problems at all.

Good luck :D .

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

sharonm

#3 Post by sharonm »

Congrats on getting your braces on.I hope you do keep a diary of it as I would enjoy reading it and I'm sure others would too.

Kimber

#4 Post by Kimber »

Welcome to the club! I have to second the others, too, on using wax if you're getting sores. I sure did -- and it really helped. I was way happier, the sores healed faster (with the help of salt water rinses) and after the first week or so my mouth did toughen up so I didn't need to use wax any more.

Have fun at the reunion! Everyone will think your husband married a much younger woman! :-)
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

Bell

#5 Post by Bell »

tamsteve, congrats on getting your braces, can't wait to see some of your pics :lol:

Im getting damon3 braces soon, looking forward to it, i myself have recently joined this board, everyone has been very helpful.
There is so much info that is helpful to read through as well.

Already i know to make sure im stocked up on sea salt, lip balm (for before braces go on), wax (if needed) and cupboard full of soft food.
hopefully i won't get any of those canker sores :?
I suppose everyone is different in getting braces some people have no soreness at all and some do. hopefully i don't have that much, i expect some.

Welcome to the board, hope to hear from you with your progress, best wishes with your journey.

-Bell-
~Damon 3 Braces top and bottom~
~Braced on 11th September 2006~