procedures done before braces questions...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

charminthingy

procedures done before braces questions...

#1 Post by charminthingy »

I was wondering what procedures u had to get done before getting the whole braces.. i.e.. extractions, xrays.. what else? and other additional costs.
how much did they cost ya?

oh and does anybody have protruding teeth (incisors).. i do, just one of them on the upper part. if u every did, how long did it take to get the straigthened? thanks

Iccle_Peanut

#2 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

Hi there, i'm new to this but this is what went on during my consultation. I had a chat with the orthodontist, he asked me what i wanted fixing, he told me what i needed fixing. I had impressions, which had to be done twice cos my jaw started shaking badly whilst he held the stuff in my mouth....You have xrays too. Then you go back and they'll show you your impressions and talk you through the treatment plan and costs.

I feel alot of my questions are still unanswered though, so jot some down on paper if you feel the need. I forgot what i wanted to ask so am a bit baffled.

I had a tooth extracted and i'm getting another extracted to make room. I'll have to wear a fixed appliance on my upper teeth for 12 months.

Oh the two first app's cost 95 pound......

Good luck with it

juf_84

#3 Post by juf_84 »

Hi charminthingy,

I'm not sure where you are based but I'm in Australia and will let you know what I went through and how much it cost me:

I didn't have to have any extractions, so I can't help you there. My X-rays were free (thankyou medicare!) as I am a low income earner (actually I'm a no income earner at the moment but I am a student so I have an excuse!) and have a concession card for things like that. The consult with the ortho was $85 and the cleaning and flouride application done by a dentist before B-Day was $119.

Hope this gives you some idea!

Jennifer
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

jenfire

#4 Post by jenfire »

I had pictures, X-rays and mouldings done at the initial consult. Of course, I had a general dental exam, fillings and a cleaning done by the dentist as well.
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

hippyhippo

#5 Post by hippyhippo »

Let's see, I'm having a hygenic cleaning tomorrow which isn't going to be covered by my insurance b/c it's been less than 9 months since the last one. It will be interesting to see how much that costs. But I wanted to be sure my teeth were squeaky clean before the braces went on.

Other than that, I only had to pay for my records (x-rays, molds, etc), which was $525 CDN. Still waiting to see if any of that is covered by insurance. They're being extremely slow in processing my claim :P

tamsteve

Re: procedures done before braces questions...

#6 Post by tamsteve »

charminthingy wrote:I was wondering what procedures u had to get done before getting the whole braces.. i.e.. extractions, xrays.. what else? and other additional costs.
how much did they cost ya?

oh and does anybody have protruding teeth (incisors).. i do, just one of them on the upper part. if u every did, how long did it take to get the straigthened? thanks
My dentist is actually the one who recomended me to get braces which was hard for me to decide cause of my age. but, i went to the ortho and the consulatation was basically looking at my teeth and telling me what to expect and how long to wear them. then i made the app. for my records which was the mold of my teeth, xrays and pictures. That was 250.00 for that. They put spacers in my molars too. then i made the appt. for my braces which was like 3wks later. my cost of everything will be 3780.00. my insurance covered 500.00. I got my braces thursday. not quite a week yet. they just put the top in and i get the bottom in 6 wks....hope this helped :P

Henna_the_braceface

#7 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

Right this is what happened to me: (Im under 16 so its free for me im on the NHS! :D

1. Got called for the first time... after 3 years on the waiting list! got moulds, x-rays etc done. photos taken etc - October 2005

2. next appointment- treatment plan discussed... pictures shown of teeth- November 2005- Dental cleaning done a few weeks after

3. December 2005- Lower premolars (bicuspids) removed
week after- upper premolars (bicuspids) removed

3. January 2006- Spacers
week after- molar bands
week after- braces

and then all the adjustments after :)

pippy

#8 Post by pippy »

Xrays etc to check out new wisdom teeth $100
Orth consult with moulds and photos etc $140
Extractions $2500 (but hey that was 4 premolars and 4 wisdom teeth - my mought was a tad crowded :lol:

Trip to dentist for a good clean post extraction and pre braces $80

Then the good old ortho bill of $1300 to apply the contraptions and $400 odd every quarter for the foreseeable future.

My poor credit card hurts :lol:

Julie08

Initial Cost

#9 Post by Julie08 »

X-rays, molds, consultation - $195 ($67 paid by insurance). No extractions.

Braces (ceramic uppers, metal lowers) - $4600 total - $500 down payment when upper braces were placed, then the rest paid $100 per month by me and $100 per month by my insurance.

I'm in the mid-South U.S.

jetxness

#10 Post by jetxness »

toronto, canada experience:

my consult was free. the molds were done the same day and included in the price of the braces so i am not sure of their exact cost.

i didn't have any xrays taken at my ortho as i had been refered to him by my own dentist and already existing xrays / all of my records were shared. so my ortho poked around in my mouth himself for a bit and then we discussed the plan and types of braces etc. someone was getting braced at the time so i also went and had a look at that too.

photos of my teeth were taken right before my braces got put on (two weeks later).

as for concrete costs:

960 $ canadian = the braces, other appliances, the molds and my eventual retainers

3200 $ canadian / year = flat rate for whatever number of appointments i will need (adjustments at whatever timing my ortho decides + emergency appts etc)

my ortho offers to take 200$ off the appliance/braces fee if you pay a certain percentage of treatment costs for the year in a lump sum.

as was mentioned earlier, in canada like australia you can make medical expense income tax claims. there also are additonal supplements for medical expenses including ortho for lower income people (although i would say the amount they set as lower income in this case is middle class --- that may just be my experiences speaking).

sharonm

#11 Post by sharonm »

Well I first went to the dentist to get a cleaning and asked for a referral to an orthodontist I wanted to go see.I made an appointment for the ortho but I had to get a x-ray referral from the orthodontist which I just picked up from the office.That same day after the dentist I got the x-rays taken of my teeth which were free thanks to medicare.That doesn't take long and I didn't need an appointment.I went to the ortho,got photos taken of my teeth and talked about all the options available.Later that day I rang them up and confirmed which treatment I wanted to have.The following week I had molds made of my teeth and next Wednesday I am getting the braces fitted.

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

A$240 for initial consult, moulds, X rays and pics. At this time, options for treatment and different types of braces were discussed. My ortho does invisalign, lingual and regular braces.

A further consult occurred a month later at which point I signed up, coughing up the entire fee for a 5% discount.

The top braces went on about 7 weeks after I signed up (Christmas/New Year holidays intervened). Bottom braces went on 8 weeks after top braces.