40 yrs and getting braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

donnamac

#16 Post by donnamac »

Hi Lionfish....Have you had your birthday yet? If so, you're catching up with me... :lol:

lionfish

#17 Post by lionfish »

Yes, donnamac, it's been and gone, so I should be a year closer to your age. Ha ha!

I got elastics and wire changes for my birthday, well it was the day after but close enough.

Funny thing, I recently told my older sister in an email (she's in the States, I'm in Oz) that I'd gotten braces. Reaction? Nil. Not quite sure what to make of that.

donnamac

#18 Post by donnamac »

Lionfish, Congratulations on your elastics and new wires! What a great birthday present... :lol:
MY sister's reaction to my getting braces was, "Really?". That was it, but I guess compared to nothing, it was something.... :?

lionfish

#19 Post by lionfish »

Donnamac, you're a scream!

Can I borrow your sister for a while? "Really?" is much nicer than stony silence. Ha ha!!

joney

#20 Post by joney »

Hi I'm 41 going on 42 in November. I had wisdom teeth extracted from my top a few years back. It really wasn't that bad. Will probably need extractions when I get my brace fitted in about a month. There is lots of advice on this site about this situation. I hope it goes well for you.

donnamac

#21 Post by donnamac »

Lionfish, You may borrow my sister anyyyyyytime. I think she could come out with 'really?' again if she tried real hard... :lol: Think about it...the stony silence could have been a blessing... :wink:

krennen

#22 Post by krennen »

It has been most encouraging to me to know that as an over 40 person I am not alone. Its pretty bad when your kids are all through with braces and you are just starting. But I always thought the kids teeth came first. It has been frustrating at first having 4 teeth pulled and getting the braces but I have adjusted at least until the next adjustment!! Monday I am getting brackets finally on the very back molars. That should be interesting.

tamsteve

#23 Post by tamsteve »

KK wrote:I was 47 when I got braces and it's been a fantastic journey so far kymmietoo! :thumbsup:

I'd already had my wisdom teeth removed and they weren't a problem. Just make sure you follow your dentist instructions and after 24 hours when you can rinse, do plenty of salt water rinses to help with the healing!

Honestly having teeth pulled is not something to fear ... just realise this is necessary for you to move on to achieve youir goal of better of better teeth and bite!

Take care! :banana:
I'm 39 and i got my braces Thursday! I'm so glad i am getting my teeth fixed too!!!