tea, fizzy drinks?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emrar

tea, fizzy drinks?

#1 Post by emrar »

HI GUYS,

I left a message on here before about my badly stained teeth, I had them cleaned today and there is a 50% improvment. I still socially smoke but my doctor said it is probably all the tea i drink! any ideas on what hot drinks dont stain? I have had no info from my ortho. also sad news i thought braces would be a year but he says 2 maybe 3 years! my gosh thats a long time...whats the norm?

hope all you cats are well

emma x

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Emma, I think you can mostly stop things staining your teeth by taking better care when brushing. I smoke 20 a day :oops: and my teeth show very little staining, in fact my ortho said how clean they were when I had my braces fitted. I also drink a fair bit of tea and coffee.

Anything you eat or drink will leave residue on your teeth but can be brushed off without making a stain as long as it's not left on there too long. If you don't have an electric toothbrush, I would strongly recommend you get one. I did use to get some staining on my teeth from smoking and drinking tea but since getting the SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM Sonicare my teeth have never been cleaner. I also use a whitening toothpaste (Colgate Icy Blast) which is good for getting surface stains off as it is slightly abrasive.

Here's another tip, go to Superdrug or Boots and buy yourself a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide 6% Solution from the pharmacy counter. After you brush and floss your teeth, once or twice a week pour one capful of HP into a glass and add 2 capfuls of warm water. Swig this into your mouth and swish it round for a minute or so. It doesn't taste that good but its not too bad either. It will froth up inside your mouth as you swish it round. After a minute spit it out (don't swallow it!!) and rinse your mouth with water. Then do your fluoride mouthwash to take the taste away. The frothing action of the HP will help remove surface staining.
(HP is the same stuff as is used in dental bleaching kits, only the stuff sold in bottles at Superdrug is much weaker)

That way your teeth should stay clean and white!

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Add red wine to the list. I also drink a fair bit of tea and foods that contain colouring.

I also use the baking soda toothpaste periodically and it does help to remove staining. But nothing cleans my teeth like my dentist does.

If I get out of these little numbers in under 2 years, I'll be one happy bunny.

pippy

#4 Post by pippy »

I started off being soo good and avoiding all the stainy stuff but man that was boring....after 4 weeks it was a case of 'wheres the red wine'!! Ligs are a bit stained but not too bad. Tried the hydrogen peroxide rinse idea and it seemed to work. Have just got a bottle of Listerine Pre Brush Whitening (which has Hydrogen Peroxide) and it does seem to make a difference. My teeth have always been yellowy and prone to staining but since I got the braces they are actually a tiny bit whiter from all the extra attention :lol:

wiredkitty

#5 Post by wiredkitty »

I was going to ask someone about red wine as I've been too scared to try it yet. I'm going to a party this weekend so its good to know I can drink it and what the cleaning options are. I've started having a glass of water with every meal which I can swill around my mouth in between bites so I'll try and do this in between glasses of wine too.

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Wiredkitty, go to your party and drink long and deep of the red grape. You guys do such fabulous pinot noir, have a drop for me.

wiredkitty

#7 Post by wiredkitty »

thats funny cause I LOVE a good Australian Shiraz! we are never satisfyed with what've we got huh.