Retainer Questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SkyWolf

Retainer Questions

#1 Post by SkyWolf »

I'm getting closer to the end of my treatment and have already been informed of what retainers he wants to give me. (NOTE I do not wnat a bonded retainer) Now I have a few questions reguarding the matter.

1) Is there any difference between the cost of a bonded retainer and a Hawley?

2) Will I have to use floss threaders with a bonded retainer? (If yes I'd rather not have to deal with one. I hate floss threaders!)

3) I was told I'd only have a bonded retainer for 6 years. What happens when he removes it? Are my teeth going to shift back?

4) Has anyone ever switched ortho mid treatment because the ortho would not change there mind about your preference of retainers?

SkyWolf

#2 Post by SkyWolf »

Thanks Karen! I have tried just about everything I can think of to make the flossing easier. Including trying the stiff ended floss. The only way I have managed so far is with a very long floss threader and I'm lucky to floss my bottom teeth once every 6 weeks let alone once a day. See not having a second retainer is the other reason I don't want that kind of retainer. I waited 10 years to straighten and fix this problem and in another ten years I don't want to be back in the same predicament again. I'll let you know about the switching ortho things after i see how friday goes.

simshell

#3 Post by simshell »

I just got my bonded retainer in yesterday. You only have to thread it through one tooth and then you can work your way around the others without having to thread them through each tooth. It's really not hard at all. It sure beats working them around braces. I still have yet to get my upper retainer. My one tooth is already spacing out...fun for me.

Hope this helps!