Surprise upper debanding!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kell

Surprise upper debanding!

#1 Post by Kell »

Yesterday I went for a routine adjustment and ended up getting my top braces off! Yippee :banana:

I love being 1/2 brace free. Having them on wasn't the worst thing in the world for me but it sure is nice to be able to brush them without all the extra stuff. I think brushing naked teeth is my favorite part. That and not having to worry about food getting stuck when I am out in public.

I'm very happy with how they turned out. I can't wait to get them whitened now. I got a permanent retainer and I'm really happy with it as well. I didn't know that a permanent retainer was an option for my top teeth and I was worrying about what type of removable retainer to get. I think for me the permanent retainer will make me the happiest. If in the future I decide it's not the way to go then I'll get a different retainer.

Now for the pictures :)

ImageImage
The picture on the left is from the first day I had my braces on and the one on the right was taken yesterday.

ImageImage

I only had to wear them for 7 months because there wasn't much wrong with the top at all. The front teeth were rotated here and there but nothing major. They could come off in such a short time because the permanent retainer will hold them in place. Yes, I do know how lucky I am :)

Here's a picture of my permanent retainer.

There is a little more information and more pictures on my web page as well. Thanks for letting me share my happiness :dance:
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi kell,

Congratulations on getting your upper braces removed and better yet you were not expecting it - sometimes I think this is best. I always feel bad when I read somebody's debanding date has been extended (over and over). Yes, I agree the braces are not that bad, the part that's difficult is having food get caught in the brackets.

Since you have a permanent retainer, do you still have to wear the regular retainer 24 hours/day for awhile? How much longer do you have to wear your lower braces?

Good luck with the remainder of your ortho treatment.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

joney

#3 Post by joney »

Well done Kell. You must be delighted with the results.

Joney :D

Kell

#4 Post by Kell »

Since you have a permanent retainer, do you still have to wear the regular retainer 24 hours/day for awhile? How much longer do you have to wear your lower braces?
I only have the permanent retainer and no other retainer. The only teeth that were changed really were those front teeth and they are being held with the permanent retainer. I assume that is why I don't need another retainer. I am going to pay close attention to them and if I start to see any changes at all I will discuss it with my orthodontist. I want straight teeth more than I want to not have a different retainer, if that makes any sense.

The estimated time for my lower braces is 1 year. That would take me into the beginning of next year. Still not a very long time.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Michal

#5 Post by Michal »

That's so cool Kell! Even cooler that you and I were braced the same day and my ortho told me that my tops were almost done too. My bottoms still have some time to go, but I soon hope to join you in the half-debanded world!

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

Kell

#6 Post by Kell »

Even cooler that you and I were braced the same day and my ortho told me that my tops were almost done too.
That is exciting Michal! I hope you can get your tops off really soon. I am loving it. I keep running my tongue over my teeth and looking at them in the mirror :)

It's true that it's not as big a deal to anyone else. Barely anyone is even noticing. Even my best friend who knew I had them off took a while to notice and remember I had them off when I saw her in person yesterday.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

Kell, "half-naked" aint bad! Lookin good! Enjoy the "eats" without picking food from those upper braces! I can't wait!!!! Image
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

tamsteve

yay

#8 Post by tamsteve »

Congrats Kell... :-)o That is awesome that you've only had to wear the tops for 7 mths!! I just got my top braces ON a week ago and i will get the bottoms in 6 wks, my bottoms are worse then my top so, maybe mine will come off sooner...it's funny to read your post saying you keep going to the mirror looking at your naked teeth...i keep looking at my new braced teeth!! :lol: