Ugly Betty

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Ugly Betty

#1 Post by genxsis »

Anyone else seen the ABC ad for a new show coming up in the fall TV lineup called "Ugly Betty" about an otherwise attractive woman who is apparently supposed to be ugly because she has braces?

Anyone else not too thrilled about being stereotyped?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

susieq182

#2 Post by susieq182 »

http://abc.go.com/primetime/schedule/2006-07/betty.html
Although I am not sure what I think of the show or how braces really fits into its plot line. I dont think they are trying to single people in braces but more frumpy rumpled people who prefer to hang success on hard work and fortitude instead of looks.

I doubt it will make it through the first season unless it is very funny. It doesnt seem to have a very good story behind it IMHO. The short outline they have posted on ABC's site doesnt spark my interest. looks like a show i would watch if i wasnt feeling well and couldnt find the remote, but i would have to be feeling sick enough to not get up and change the chanel. Wait NM i looked at the time slot no way i will be watching it its on durning CSI.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

Nikkiekoala

#3 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have seen the commercials. I understand the concept of a 'not so fashionable, frumpy rumbled gal' trying to get ahead but does she have to have braces to further that point? I kinda had a reaction when I saw the ad too. Does having braces equal not being fashionable and being frumpy? Not in my world.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

nimo

#4 Post by nimo »

Is she wearing glasses too? I hate how the media sticks glasses on someone to make them nerdy/ugly/unpleasant to look at.

I'd rather wear glasses than go blind, and I'd rather have braces than look the way I did before.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Dramagyrl

#5 Post by Dramagyrl »

I kind of had the same reaction too. Not a huge deal to me, because I'm sure it won't last at all. I think the only reason it got an executive head-nod was because a celebrity was involved in the creation. I think Selma Hayek or someone like that.
The glasses thing never bothered me, nor has it really for any other "stereotype" in a show. Maybe it's because I have a light prescription or make them more into my own fashion accessory, but yeah, glasses never bothered me.
Maybe it's because I'm so new to the whole braces thing and a bit more sensitive that I did flinch a little the first time I saw the ad.

pippy

#6 Post by pippy »

Got the glasses...got the braces..........anyone I know who sees that show and makes any sort of connection is gonna be sorry lol :twisted:
Geez this is tough enough on the old ego without someone making a show actually called Ugly!!!!

Evelyn

#7 Post by Evelyn »

Wow....I had the same reaction. How many adults do you see on TV who have braces....practically none. Now why does the one who does have to be labeled as 'Ugly' Betty?
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

JoeMama

#8 Post by JoeMama »

I think she's kind of cute!! :D If she lost the silly clothes they have her in, like that Guatamala poncho...
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

I read that the show is based on an Hispanic novella (soap opera) with a similar premise and name. I don't know if the Hispanic version has the woman wearing braces.

Maybe in one episode they can show Betty browsing the web and looking at ArchWired, LOL.

I don't know if the stereotype of "braces+glasses = unattractive" will ever go away. It's like bald guy jokes -- an easy mark, an easy laugh.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

genxsis

#10 Post by genxsis »

I can just imagine some people at work making connections between the show character and us. "Hey, ugly Evelyn" "Ugly Karen", etc. That would be enough to not only make me not watch the show, but to urge the network to cancel it!

They wouldn't come up with such a connection with people who have a leg brace, use crutches, use a wheelchair, etc. It's hard to understand how some things are acceptable and others are not.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

Geez, why don't we give the show a chance? Maybe it is heart warming and really about teaching people not to judge?

I just watched (parts of) "Shallow Hal" yesterday. That was pretty good. But yeah, the girl on the show was fat. I mean really fat. I don't think the intention was to put down fat people. It was more about this guy who had to get over his "shallowness".
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

genxsis

#12 Post by genxsis »

You got a point there! I'll give it a chance. Like they say, "Never judge a TV show by its previews".

lilonething

#13 Post by lilonething »

It's a catch 22 stereotype. People say braces = geeky and frumpy. Yet how many times have you heard someone say "why doesn't she just get her teeth fixed?". My own father, who is not normally like that, said it about Jool. And I think her teeth are fine. (But apparently she gets bad press about it.)

jcdamon3

#14 Post by jcdamon3 »

Who is Jool?

I think the stereotype is really being broken. I think when I was a kid braces were geeky. Now I think so many of the kids have them that it is not really geeky anymore at all.

I know a kid in her adolescence that was being teased alot more about her crooked teeth than about braces.

I am beginning to think that in some countries having braces could even be a status symbol.

And I know I certainly don't feel geeky wearing braces. Maybe I don't feel better about with them on, but I don't feel geeky or frumpy, although when I got the braces I started dressing WAY better. People really noticed!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

jennielee81

#15 Post by jennielee81 »

Who is Jool?
Jewel is a popular singer. I bet you'd recognize her songs if you heard one...here's a picture of her.

"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm