what one question.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

florencegal

what one question.....

#1 Post by florencegal »

....do you recommend I ask my orthodontist?

I went for my first ortho appointment a couple of weeks ago (absolutely terrifying - I'd avoided even talking about my teeth for years let alone grimacing and showing them off close-up and personal to a total stranger! I cried right at my poor orthodontist - I really hope I'm not the first to have done this!) and am going back in two weeks to discuss my xrays and what options are available to me etc. I know from lots of past experience that I have a really stupid tendency to get flustered and emotional in these situations and never ask the right questions and get all the information. So I was hoping you guys can help me out in getting totally super extra prepared!....:

If there was one question that you really wish you'd asked before you signed up to get your braces OR one question that you're really really glad you did ask, what would that be?

I'm writing down every single question I need to make sure I ask on a piece of paper and will go in pen and paper at the ready to make note of everything - my ortho is really going to wonder what's going on! x

Iccle_Peanut

#2 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

Hi Florencegal, welldone for getting past the first hurdle. When i went for my consultaton and he took my picture i had to actually smile....a full teeth smile..never seen in public before. So i can understand where your coming from.

Defo take the pen and paper......i went for the first consultation, the second and i've got to go back because i forgot to ask things or i thought of things to ask.

I only thought of questions after i came on here, i didn't ask or get told about the process, just told what i needed.

If i could have asked another question it would of been 'do i need a brace on the bottom?' :roll:

Good luck

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I can think of one question:

What is your treatment going to be like? (Described in detail)

This includes 1) Will you have extractions 2) will you have surgery 3) will you have headgear 4) will you have elastics 5) How long will treatment be. 6) what will retention be like -- what type of retainers/how long

There are alot of people who end up "surprised" or freaked out during their treatment because they didn't ask this stuff up front.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Well done, florencegal. A few I can think of:

1. What is the policy on brackets that pop off?

2. If the need should arise, what is the policy on transfering to another orthodontist?

3. If the orthodontist is out of town, is there another orthodontist on emergency call?

Just tying to think of off the wall questions...

4. Are you comfortable with me asking questions about what you are doing and why you are doing it? If not, why not?

I wish you well on your braces journey, Attagirl
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

florencegal

thanks!

#5 Post by florencegal »

Thanks so much everyone for the really helpful replies so far - especially your suggestion no.3 Attagirl. As far as I saw in my first visit and can tell from the website, my orthodontist is a one-woman show and no matter how lovely and understanding that one woman was when I burst into tears within 2 minutes of sitting down in the chair, she isn't going to be much use if she's on a beach in Spain when I have a broken bracket or wire poking in my cheek is she?! :wink: I'll definitely have to ask about headgear too, do many people have to get that? What exactly does it do? I will have to ask to about what happens if I move away during treatment too - I'm not currently loving my job and doubt I'll stick it out another two years, this is a small town so finding another job will pretty certainly mean moving away.

And so my list of questions grows and I'm getting writer's cramp - not to mention boggle eyes, I've been scouring every post on these forums since I got home from work 5 hours ago! :shock: Time to stop for today I think... xxx

mominbraces

#6 Post by mominbraces »

I second the importance of Attagirls question #4, whether
your prospective ortho minds answering your questions.
You'd be suprised how many orthos resent questions by
their patients, interpret it as a lack of confidence in their
ability, etc.

I suggest that you ask not just about headgears, but
the possibility of having to wear ANY kind of
orthodontic appliances like nances, holding arches,
palate expanders, etc. My ortho told me extractions
were a possibility, but did not bother to say that in that
event, I would have to wear a nance (which I am
finding very awkward).

fitchick

#7 Post by fitchick »

Hi Florencegal,

Well Done You on taking the decision to get braces in the first place, it isn't an easy one to make. And I shouldn't worry about getting emotional, I'm sure you're not the first and won't be the last. Ortho's are very understanding.

I always take my notebook full of questions to each appt. My initial questions included;

1) What type of braces could I have? Invisalign, Lingual or the full-on metal etc.
2) How long will the treatment take?
3) What is the level of pain expected?
4) Would my treatment include extractions? I'm a woos!
5) And most importantly of all, What can I expect from the final result?
My ortho is brilliant, and he even wrote the answers in my notebook for me, so I didn't get home and think 'Now, what did he say about.....'?

Your treatment plan will no doubt detail your exact treatment, but it is a great idea to plan ahead as you are and go prepared with questions.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

All great questions from the other posts - I had the same questions on my list. In fact, it is best to bring your list of questions and write down the answers, quite often, you may hear their answer during your consultation but with all the info you will get you may forget.

Another question I asked that I did not see list was what are the pros and cons of proceeding with ortho treatment and if surgery is suggested also ask what the result would be if you decided not to have surgery.

Good luck and don't think you're the only person with teeth that are not in its right places that's why all of us on this board are wearing braces/did wear braces.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Kimber

#9 Post by Kimber »

I'd add a question about the ortho's experience treating adults -- like how many adult patients she's had. Sometimes adults can respond differently to treatments -- and they definitely ask more questions!

I also freaked and didn't ask enough questions, but one of the best things was that they showed me exactly what they were going to put in my mouth on one of those little models so I knew what I was getting.

Now that I've gone to a couple of appointments, I've also started to look around the office more. One thing I've noticed is LOTS of photos posted on bulletin boards showing people's after-braces smiles -- proof of the ortho's success. So you may want to ask to see photos of people who've come in with the same types of issues that you have and see what she's done in treating them. It might make you feel better about choosing her, knowing she's had great outcomes with others.

Good luck!
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

ssfw

#10 Post by ssfw »

Also be sure to go for multiple consultations (Iwent to 4) and choose the orthodontist and his/her staff that you feel most comfortable with and the treatment plan introduced to you.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Iccle_Peanut

#11 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

This post has really helped me alot too. I'm going back to my orthodontist in a week and am going to copy some of these questions down (hopefully you don't mind)

Can anyone tell me whats the biggest difference between having just a brace on the top and having on both? I'm having my bottoms done also now so i'm clueless....do i have to have them elastics on (hope you don't think 'im hijacking post)

Thanks

joney

#12 Post by joney »

Hi Florencegal

Your question is quite timely for me as I have recently been preparing my own list which I thought I would share with you. I know you only asked for one question but below are my questions that I have thought of so far. I will definitely be adding the braket question to my list.

Good luck with the consultation.

My list below

Orthodontist questions

1. Smoking – how will it effect treatment?

2. Extraction top only? – will extraction be pre bracing or with brace on?

3. Wisdom teeth bottom – will they stay?

4. 13/12 on top 16/14 on bottom how will they line up if teeth are uneven in number?

5. How will straightening be done ? Will my teeth be tipped out?

6. Will bite remain ok at back?

7. Crowns and fillings – will they need replacing, could they come loose?

8. Gums – bone growth – gum disease, will treatment make me more prone to gum disease?

9. Possibility of tooth loss?

10. Elastics / Spacers needed or anything else?

11. Bands will be place around which teeth?

12. Jawline, lip changes expected – especially on bottom.

13. Will expected treatment time be18 months?

14. White marks on teeth – I have seen these before, what causes them?

15. Staining due to tea drinking / smoking likely?

16. Hygienist visits, can I continue with my regular hygienist visits?

17. Is it possible to straighten top teeth only ?If so how will my bite change?

18. Expected outcome if teeth not straightened

19. Cost of treatment

20. Method of payment - DD

florencegal

#13 Post by florencegal »

Iccle peanut: of course I don't think you're hijacking the post - welcome to the discussion! It's great too to see that among all the members here at various different stages of treatment there are other people like me posting on these boards that are still at the anxious and slightly bewildered deciding stage.

All these questions that need to be asked - makes you realise quite how many things there are to think about! I agree with your suggestion no.12 joney (thanks for such a complete list - really helpful) - I have no real understanding at all of how this treatment will impact on my facial profile and I need to make sure I ask and get it explained thoroughly. Getting my teeth sorted is the last step in what's been a very long process of coming to terms with my looks and I'm at the stage now where I'm at peace with how I look apart from my teeth - so I'd rather it didn't all change now!

Meryaten - thanks for pointing out that I need to understand how lasting my results will be. Will have a lot to do with my choice of retainer after treatment, do you think? Or more about how consistent you are at wearing it? One thing's for sure, after going through this treatment I'm gonna do whatever it takes and more to keep the results of my good work! I was talking about this with my flatmate the other day and she regrets now not wearing her retainer after having braces as a child. I guess by going through the process as a adult you don't take it for granted and appreciate your achievement more - the motivation will be stronger to play by the retainer rules.