Wisdom teeth extraced while wearing braces?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

~CanadianChick~

Wisdom teeth extraced while wearing braces?!

#1 Post by ~CanadianChick~ »

So initially I asked 2 times if I needed to get them pulled before and both times by the ortho he said no. Well now at the 6 month mark I go in for an adjustment and he says that I need to get them out ASAP. So i have an appointment for the 24th to get all 4 out. 2 are half out on the bottom and the top 2 havent come out at all.

Has anyone got theirs taken out while wearing braces? Is it more painful with the arch pressuring on the area around it??

This will be my first time under anesthetic and first time getting any kind of surgery..Any tips would be helpful!!!
~Braces Added Valentines Day 2006~

toon-town-brace-face

#2 Post by toon-town-brace-face »

I think it's pretty common to have that done while wearing braces... at least that's what I was told seeing that I'll have my braces for 1 year when I get my wisdom teeth yanked! My ortho said a bracket may pop off in the process but he really didn't think it would be a big deal (and there will be plenty of chiseling as my wisdoms are pretty nasty).

Hope this helps!

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

It's not the most common thing because most ortho's prefer to get brace cases completed before 3rd molars erupt (usually around 18, sometimes later). But it does happen and not a big deal. I suggest IV sedation, had it done on myself and it made all the difference. When you are on the other side taking them out it is better too :wink: But even if you choose to only have local you will not feel any pain.

Recovery is different from person to person. I have seen people out of commision for a week and seen people out eating a burger the night of the procedure. Just plan to take it easy and you'll be fine.

Good Luck,
Rory

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I had a lower wisdom tooth pulled 5 months into treatment. It was fully erupted. I had it out at 12.30 pm and was back in the office at 2 pm. No painkillers were required. But it was only one tooth.

There was no problem from the tooth next to it (attached to the wire).

nimo

#5 Post by nimo »

I had five teeth (three wisdoms, two pre-molars) pulled a few weeks after getting braces on. I had almost no pain, had no problems, and I laid around and read books for a week. No big deal. I had tons and tons of crowding, so my teeth started moving right away after those extra teeth were taken out (it was practically noticeable overnight), but even with the extra movement I didn't have much pain.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Azalin

#6 Post by Azalin »

I had all my wisdom teeth pulled at the one year point. They were all below the gumline, and there was no pain. The only problem was the massive swelling.

Joanna20

#7 Post by Joanna20 »

Hello, I have had an upper wisdom tooth pulled last month, it wasn't impacted, but nearly! It was fine, now the teeth are moving backwards slowly. I also asked my ortho if I would need to have it out be4 braces and she said "no, u can do it later". Sure, it screwed my left side but whatever! Ortho's often make mistakes like these when they are busy!
Take care,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

jenfire

#8 Post by jenfire »

Hi ~CanadianChick~. I had a wisdom tooth (lower left side) removed a couple weeks after getting my lower braces. I knew the wisdom teeth had to come out but the ortho said that I could have them removed before, during, or after ortho treatment...so of course I put it off. Then, the one wisdom tooth started aching (it had a large cavity); it was exposed. I ended up having to go to an emergency dentistry place b/c it was July3rd and my regular place was closed for the 4th of July holiday weekend. It wasn't too bad being removed--just some swelling for a bit. The pain meds they gave me were kinda bad though--knocked me out for the day.

I don't think the braces created any additional complications. I will have to have my other 3 wisdom teeth out at some point. I think I only had to pay $50 when I had the lower left removed (insurance picked up the rest).

~jenfire
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

SDFD TSchott

#9 Post by SDFD TSchott »

here is the only advice I will give for wisdom teeth, after the extraction don't do anything for 24 hrs brushing teeth, spitting and gargaling water. After that first 24 hrs then you want to start a warm saltwater rinse don't gargal like you would just swoosh it around by moving your head, that will help for a quick healing process.

SDFD TSchott

~CanadianChick~

#10 Post by ~CanadianChick~ »

Thanks guys for all the great responses.
I've read a lot about dry sockets and what I can do to avoid it so hopefully I'll be lucky in that department!! I dont smoke so thats a bonus!

Man its costing me 1100 to get all four out...Good thing I get 80% reimbursment! Man when this whole braces experience is over I've spent well over 8G's on my Grill! hahahha love it!
~Braces Added Valentines Day 2006~