Which sonicare toothbrush is the best?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

I don't know about the best, but I like the Elite 7800. It does the job.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Kittysopretty

#3 Post by Kittysopretty »

thank you!!

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

I have used both and I like the newer model better than the older (original) one. The newer one's brush is smaller and thinner and easier to maneuver inside your mouth. Just my 2cents.

Both function the same.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

I've got the Elite 9000 (the latest one) because it was on offer on ebay! I haven't tried the earlier models but I'm happy with this one.

Kimber

#6 Post by Kimber »

I've got a Braun rather than a Sonicare -- it seems to work just fine. I'm curious if there's anything special with the Sonicares over the other electric brushes??
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

Epyx

#7 Post by Epyx »

Glad someone posted this, because I'm trying to decide between a Sonicare Elite 9500 and an Oral-B Triumph.

I keep getting the impression that a sonic brush is the way to go with braces.

Epyx

rsprouse

#8 Post by rsprouse »

Battery operated toothbrushes are a good option for many people as they make cleaning thoroughly more predictable and simple. A manual toothbrush is sufficient for some if you know how to use it. Typically the modified Bass technique is taught, hold the brush head at a 45 degree angle with gentle pressure and brush in circles up towards the gumline. Work your way through all quadrants both buccally and lingually. If you are not doing a thorough job then a battery operated toothbrush is a good option. You can do a good job with any power brush, but clinical trials indicate that the Sonicare is one of the best on the market. I am not a fan of the spin brush and typically recommend a Sonicare. Which model you get is not important, they all have the same basic core functionality (2 minute timers with 30 second interval reminders, Sonic vibration, Low speed power). But the more money you spend the more bells and whistles you get. It is a great investment in your oral health. Amazon and Cosco are typically the most reasonable price unless you know somebody in the 'biz that can get you a professional sample.

Good Luck,
Rory

ShinySmile

#9 Post by ShinySmile »

Epyx wrote:Glad someone posted this, because I'm trying to decide between a Sonicare Elite 9500 and an Oral-B Triumph.

I keep getting the impression that a sonic brush is the way to go with braces.

Epyx
I have an Oral B Triumph...there are special "Orthodontic Brushes" made especially for braces, but I haven't tried them yet because my teeth are too tender!

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

Betty Bat

#10 Post by Betty Bat »

I don't know which is the "best" and I suspect that would be a personal decision. Sonicare was recommended by my regular dentist after one of my cleanings. I have a Sonicare 7300 and I think it's great. I looked at the website to see the features of each model and decided that the Sonicare had enough for me. Then I bought it on Ebay at a good price.

I agree with Lynn that the smaller brush heads seem better (Elite-type, rather than Advance-type).

ShinySmile

#11 Post by ShinySmile »

Yay, I just used the Oral B ortho brushhead, and it works so well! My teeth feel really clean, although even the "soft" setting on the oral B triumph feels really sensitive on my teeth!

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

Epyx

#12 Post by Epyx »

Special thanks to Rory for his advice.

I had a play with a Sonicare Elite 7300 and an Oral-B Triumph on the weekend. The Sonicare feels incredible in the hand ... the motor vibrates so amazingly fast! The Triumph is also nice but operates at much lower revs.

We've got an older Oral-B in the house, so I think I'll follow Karen's example and whack an Ortho head on it for a bit of a play first. Later on, I'll probably buy a Sonicare Elite :)