Ugly Betty

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

susieq182

#16 Post by susieq182 »

I guess we should give it a chance. Maybe it is a tale about how this girl teaches all the high fashion people what really counts.

I also agree with JoeMama They set the poor girl up to look rediculas. Like why does she have to have those ill fitting wrong for her face shape and coloration glasses? and a Hair cut that doesnt work for her face shape. I wear glasses and contacts a well fitted pair of glasses blend into your face not over power it. Also i swear the braces they have on that poor girl are extra big.

To watch or not to watch that is the question but i still vote unless it is better then CSI or they move CSI I wont be pulling myself out of my CBS viewing rut
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

jcdamon3

#17 Post by jcdamon3 »

Jewel is a popular singer. I bet you'd recognize her songs if you heard one...here's a picture of her.
Yes I know who Jewel is. I didn't know people referred to her as Jool or that she had braces. I guess I am more into Classic and Alternative rock now.
I also agree with JoeMama They set the poor girl up to look rediculas. Like why does she have to have those ill fitting wrong for her face shape and coloration glasses? and a Hair cut that doesnt work for her face shape. I wear glasses and contacts a well fitted pair of glasses blend into your face not over power it. Also i swear the braces they have on that poor girl are extra big.
Well if she looked great then they wouldn't have a story right?
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

ShinySmile

#18 Post by ShinySmile »

I think the stereotype is a big part of the show...they stereotype the other people too, if you noticed-- the receptionist in the fashion magazine office is a skinny, snobby-ish lady wearing a bun...how typical! :P

I like this quote from Selma Hayek...

Hayek sees the title as a sarcastic take on a classic fish-out-of-water series. "It's about how Betty is not ugly, but she is working in an ugly environment full of beautiful people," she says. "She has a sense of humor about who she is and a self-confidence that a lot of times pretty girls don't have."-- USA Today

I think the braces part is funny... she is supposed to be an awkward, lovable character and I think that's exactly what they portrayed.

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

Gennel

#19 Post by Gennel »

I have seen that spanish soap opera for like 5 minutes. It's called " Betty La Fea" Which just means " Ugly Betty" The spanish soap opera's Betty character has really bulky braces and talks with a really bad slur like she has tons of saliva in her mouth,really exaggerated! I thought it was dumb.
This Ugly Betty reminds me alot of " The Devil Wears Prada" except I liked THe Devil Wears Prada! The braces didnt bother me.I guess anyone would stick out like a sore thumb working for Vogue wearing braces. Will this be a tv show or movie? I dont think it will last as a tv show.

Gennel

Kimber

#20 Post by Kimber »

It's too bad they can never use just a normal-looking actress for these things. They always take the beautiful girls and do all that stupid stuff to try to make them look ugly -- the wrong hair cut, the glasses and now the braces! I suppose normal-looking women never get hired as actresses. I wonder if her braces are real or fake?
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

Missingorigin

#21 Post by Missingorigin »

I am really anticipating this show.
the colubians made a soap opera. it was awesome. it even had a second part.

and recenly mexico made its own version.

its really funny.

it is not all about her braces.

its about this girl who is ugly. and she goes and works in this office. and she falls in love with her boss. she is really smart. then her boss falls in love with her too, even though she is ugly. then there is some confusions and she leaves to another country, then they do a makeover and she is hottt.
lol, just told kinda of all the story.
i think it might be only one season. not cuz its gonna suck but because the story doesnt go on forever.

you guys should watch it. if i watch it, this would be my fourth time watching this. well, i watched the columbian version twice, and the mexican version i am currently watching.

Bridget

#22 Post by Bridget »

We have the same tv series here!!!

And I really cannot stand it!

What I heard after I got braced was "that looks much better than I thought!!! I really feared that would look like Lisa Plenske from that series"

:braces_angry:

http://www.sat1.de/vib/telenovela/charaktere/

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

hippyhippo

#23 Post by hippyhippo »

To be honest, I didn't even make the connection that they were using the stereotype that braces = ugly person. The braces themselves may not be overly attractive, but I don't think I've seen them make anyone look "ugly" before. I mean, there are an awful lot of hot people in braces. Every time I'm at my ortho's office I see a steady stream of good-looking adults coming and going -- better looking than average I would definitely say. It's enough to make a girl self-conscious! :)

momof2grlz

#24 Post by momof2grlz »

I had the same reaction to a current K-Mart back-to-school commercial. A little girl with glasses and the absolute biggest mouthful of braces possible is looking at herself in her locker mirror. A boy walks up and says he likes her pants. I realize this might be a positive for brace wearers because he noticed her pants and not her braces. But, as the mother of a soon-to-be-braced pre-teen, could they have made her braces look any uglier! Luckily, my daughter sees my braces and knows her braces won't look that hideous.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

KittyW

#25 Post by KittyW »

Well to be perfectly honest, I did NOT feel like a glam queen while i had my braces on.

The truth of the matter is that the look (braces) was far more attractive than my snaggled crooked teeth and now that the braces are off, I can say that the 17 months of feeling less than attractive are my "so there!" to anyone who judged me while I had them on! My "ugly" phase had a HUGE payoff! :D
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

jennielee81

#26 Post by jennielee81 »

:tingrin:

Thank you KittyW, you said what I was thinking!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

saycheese

#27 Post by saycheese »

I love that K-mart ad. I think it's so cute. I think it's a very positive message. When I say this girl (and Ugly Betty), it immediately reminded me of why I didn't want to get braces as a teen.

Also, notice that the guy who ikes her jeans is also kind of geeky. I wondered if that considered having a captain of the football type guy notice her jeans. Now, that would have been hot.
ceramic uppers
metal bottoms

Estimated Treatment Time - 36 months

RainyDay2

#28 Post by RainyDay2 »

I have to admit that when I saw the initial clips I thought how stupid. Then I realized that it made me smile. Must not be all that bad if it made me smirk. I'll check it out. Afterall, it's just entertainment. If nothing else and it's awful I'll just swtich the channel. Life's too short and precious to take any show seriously and take offense. Just my thoughts :lol: :D I have been watching the Mexican version here and there and it's kind of funny and sweet, a little stupid, but there's something about it.

Squeakers

#29 Post by Squeakers »

I'm willing to bet that towards some point in that show, she has them removed, and she'll show her nice smile and she'll also have a total makeover. Then everyone she works with or whatever will be amazed at how much she changed or something, and be jealous.

It would be cute if she views the Archwired forums! Hehe :)

juf_84

#30 Post by juf_84 »

Hi!

The braces/glasses = geek thing doesn't really bother me- I've worn glasses since I was 12 and now I have braces- and that's just me at the moment. Sometimes I joke that I am in my "geek gear" though.

I'm not sure if/when we'll get the show over here but it would be interesting to watch the first episode.

momof2grlz, my favourite "braces" ad (actually the only one I have seen) is an ad for a health fund (for insurance). It shows a young teenage girl standing shyly by the wall at a school dance, and a young boy flashes her a huge smile- bling and all! When she sees this she flashes him an equally huge and blinged-up smile. The tagline is "B Happy". I love it!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!