Mouth Sores

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dramagyrl

Mouth Sores

#1 Post by Dramagyrl »

Almost six weeks into treatment and I still have a mouth full of cuts and sores from my braces.
I've tried everything suggested on the site- I've quadrupled the salt-water rinses, I've tried wax and I've used a mouth-coating oral pain relieving gel. There is a rinse called Amosan which helped me heal after my extractions, but it's not helping either. The cuts seem to keep jumping up in different areas of my mouth, changing almost daily.
Sadly, the wax I purchased from the store since my ortho-supplied pack ran out is not nearly as good as the ortho stuff. This wax crumbles and flakes, no matter how much or little I use.
I ordered some of the dentakit products to try, so I'll see what happens there, but in the meantime, I'm running out of ideas.
Just wondering if there are other suggestions and how long it took other people for their mouths to finally build up a tolerance?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Dramagyrl, when my linguals were producing blisters on my tongue, I bought a product called Kenalog which I found helped. I would check with a pharmacist first, but this may help you too.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Meryaten wrote:And that is why I think you lingual wearers are brave!!!
Well, some of us are brave enough to front up for surgery. Ha ha!!

ladygal

overwax

#4 Post by ladygal »

Have you tried overwaxing at night? Just cover them all up I find that most problems tend to pop up overnight depending on how I sleep and my lips/cheeks get pushed into my braces making sores the next morning.

I don't know if you've got a Wal-Mart but they've got great mint-flavored wax, it works great.

Just an idea, I don't know if it would work. I'm sorry though about the cuts, that must be awful :(

Rinsing with diluted hydrogen peroxide also has helped my sores go away after they've been there for a while.

Hope it all gets better soon!!!!!!!!

tin_grin

#5 Post by tin_grin »

I've become a big fan of tea tree oil since becoming braced. I rinse at least every night after brushing: about 1 drop per ounce of water. It's an antiseptic and promotes healing. My mouth got VERY sore a few days ago from increased bracket chafing (I wasn't able to chew for a month-- now I can a little) and have been doing the tea tree rinses. It's also good for cleaning stained ligs: 1 - 2 drops per gob of toothpaste. For a really good cleaning mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 4 drops of tea tree and a few drops of water to make a paste. I love it also because it's NATURAL!

Good luck! Hope you're feeling better.

Braces on: 7/19/2006
Tx time: 18-24 months

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

I had this problem also and all of the "normal" remedies didn't do a lot to help. This is what I've done....

I use "Canker Sore" toothpast.

I get odd looks from people when I tell them this, but IT WORKS!

I use Rembrandt as it's the easiest to buy at CVS or RiteAid, but I've used Kiss My Face.

Here's a link: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... T-0-SEARCH ("normal taste")

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... T-0-SEARCH (strange taste)

I buy it here and at the regular drugstore.

It won't heal the sores you have, but it will PREVENT them. Some people are very sensitive to the foaming agent in toothpaste and it causes the protective layer of our mouths to be washed away. These toothpastes protect that layer....After a few days of using it you (hopefully) will notice that your not getting NEW sores.

Good luck to you!!! REALLY!!!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

RabbleRouser

#7 Post by RabbleRouser »

I agree with jennie, I started using the rembrandt canker sore toothpaste and biotene mouthwash (very gentle).....no more sores!

principessa

#8 Post by principessa »

Oooh Dramagyrl I sympathise completely with you! I've had my braces on now (top and bottom) for 6 weeks also and my mouth is in bits! I've got 2 big cuts either side of my mouth from the lower molar bands which have got lumps on them and lots of ulcers from the bottom brackets rubbing. It is agony!

Like you I've tried saltwater, Hydrogen P, Bongella mouth gel, anaesthetic gel and NOTHING seems to work! :cry:

A friend of mine suggested a mouthwash called Corsodol especially designed to help heal mouth sores so I am going to try that. Trouble is I'm a bit scared to use it cos it says you need to aviod tea, coffee and red wine while using it as it can stain teeth!!!! So now I'm scared that my sores will go but in it's place I'll have brown teeth! I'm already worried that my teeth are discoloured (they seem very yellowy lately) so I don't want to make it worse!!!

Jesslzz

#9 Post by Jesslzz »

Hi there!

Of course, these are all great suggestions and is a good idea to follow them!!!...I've tried almost everything Meryaten and KK recommended with amazing results (particularly salt water)
Just my two cents: I'm one of those lucky fast healers, my mouth sores don't last very much when they appear, but I found out that the quality of the water you drink is really important. I usually drink a lot of good mineral water when I have mouth sores and after some rough adjustments. The water makes me heal even faster! I don't get the same results on tap water. Over here in Argentina we call "mineral water" to the bottled water...usually contains a lot of minerals which I suspect have something to do with my fast healing process... :D Good luck!

Full metalmouth!