Lip Squeeze Exercises

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Lip Squeeze Exercises

#1 Post by Chris »

I came across this in an ortho's website. Scroll down to the bottom.

http://www.drmehan.com/Patient%20Instructions.htm

Anybody been asked to do these "exercises"? :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

belmikry

#2 Post by belmikry »

weird... nope- not me... although i'm still trying to figure out how "nobody will notice" you placing a paper clip in between your lips :P
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

Bianca

#3 Post by Bianca »

Mostly I think that sounds like a bunch of hooey... but then I think about my treatment.

My ortho is totally surprised at how much progress my teeth have made, and I'm pretty sure it's because I took up swimming at the same time I got braces. Think of it - swimming requires your mouth to be closed in such a manner that is very similar to those exercises.

So maybe it's not a bunch of hooey.

:)

It's a two year process.......

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

If you wish additional cleansing of the teeth, utilize a Water Pik irrigating device with 1 shot of Listerine in the solution. Adding 1 squirt of antimicrobial soap (Dial, Softsoap, etc.) to the solution will help cleanse the teeth.
Huh??? Anyone else here wash their mouth out with soap?

sjsarre

#5 Post by sjsarre »

Mmn.. I tried some of the lip squeeze exercises, it definately puts pressure on my teeth, however I don't think my teeth need to meet at the front as they will do anyway once they are pulled back and inline.

In fact I think I pull those faces without thinking about it anyway!!!

:lol:

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

If you wish additional cleansing of the teeth, utilize a Water Pik irrigating device with 1 shot of Listerine in the solution. Adding 1 squirt of antimicrobial soap (Dial, Softsoap, etc.) to the solution will help cleanse the teeth.
Huh??? Anyone else here wash their mouth out with soap?
I don't think so! Image

At least not on PURPOSE! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

My, you are brave! :P
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

LOL! Didn't it all froth up under the pressure of the Waterpik though? I can just imagine ending up with this huge mouthful of bubbles. :roll:

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

Soap rinses? No way!

Bianca, I'm not too sure about the swimming factor. My mouth is almost permanently open to get air in and out.

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

I came across this link again by chance when surfing the other day, so I thought I'd give the soap in the waterpik idea a go. I put a drop of liquid antibacterial soap and a shot of Listerine Tartar Control in the reservoir and went for it. I couldn't taste the soap and my teeth felt smooth and kinda squeaky clean afterwards. They didn't have that film that toothpaste sometimes seems to leave behind.

Not sure I'll take up cleaning with soap on a regular basis, but it was worth a try.

Steadfast

#11 Post by Steadfast »

They look difficult. So far I can't get my back teeth to meet by biting closed. *lol* Instruction 1 = impossible