neubie

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tin Indian

neubie

#1 Post by Tin Indian »

Hey Guys, Just wanted you all to know what a positive impact you all have had as to whether to get braces or not to get braces. I myself have antagonized for years whether to settle for okay teeth or having a smile of a lifetime. I mean a 50 something guy like myself just doesn't jump out of bed one day and decide that he wants to be another metal mouth. So last week I had my first two consults with a couple orthos in town who cater to adult cowards like me. They both said I have minor crowding on both arches with a 3mm overjet (what ever that is) .One suggested braces for the bottoms for sure and some veneers for the tops while they other wanted braces for both top and bottoms What blew me away was is they said I didn't need anytype of banding on the rear teeth and could get molds made and braces in just one appointment. They both quoted between $3750. and $4000 for the bottoms and between $4500. and $5000. for both arches. I have yet to decide but like I said before , if it wasn't for watching all the posts over the last year or two I would have not gone this far. So THANK YOU ALL. Tin Indian- over and out.

rexthedestroyer

#2 Post by rexthedestroyer »

Congrats for taking the first step bro. I say go for it. Your 50 right? You got about another 50 good ones left in you. Might as well have a great smile during this time.

MrKadash

#3 Post by MrKadash »

It's nice to know there are some older gentlemen out there taking the brace plunge. At 36 myself, I felt somewhat skittish about my second go around. I am anxiously awaiting the 29th of August for my ceramics (upper and lower) and 12-16 months of treatment time. Best of luck to you guys....

RainyDay2

#4 Post by RainyDay2 »

Tin Indian, Go for it. As rex said...your teeth will be braced and de-braced in not time. Nothing to lose and so much to gain!

Tin Indian

neubie

#5 Post by Tin Indian »

:D Hey Everybody, Thanks for all the kind words and positive comments on my very first post. Sure made me welcome into the fold. :shock: My suspected bracing date is on September 1st. That way I can use the weekend to ready myself into going to work after the long holiday. I plan to go with SpiritMB composite clear up top and Damon3s on the Bottom.Insurance kicks in up to $1500. for adults thanks to the hubbys dental plan at work. Now I have a couple of question myself to anyone who would like to reply. 1) Does anyone know the difference between a male and female smile. I heard the female smile is just a little bit softer and subtle . and 2) Has anyone had their braces put on after seeing what their sposes or s/o had done or vice and verses. and finally 3) Has anyone had the what have I done question on their minds after treatment.I'll try keep up with postings and post some picture myself when I get mine. So thanks again everybody. :!: Tin Idian- over and out.

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

I can only answer #3.

YES!!! I still, after 16 months, have that feeling. Not very often any more, but it still sneaks up on me.

I know I'm doing the right thing, as you are, and it'll be done and I will never second guess what I did.

It's ALL GOOD!!! Well, maybe except for picking the food out from around the brackets... :yikes:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm