extractions and time to debracing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anotherbraceface

extractions and time to debracing

#1 Post by anotherbraceface »

I'm having my first ever extractions done tomorrow morning and can I just say, I'm S.C.A.R.E.D.. I've never even had wisdom teeth removed, and now they're going to be removing three premolars (healthy and adorable! what a waste!) to relieve crowding in my mouth.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions about how to handle it all (or can point me to a post that does). How long do the extractions take? How did you eat? What can I expect after the extractions are done? How much pain? How long until the holes healed?

I'm especially concerned because I'm having enough difficulty eating with just the braces, but I'm afraid of what will happen with huge gaps between my teeth, gaps that I expect will take at least six months to fill in. I guess Boost will be my best friend for the next little while. :o)

I'm also feeling a little uneasy about the fact that they're they're removing the first premolar on the upper left hand side, a tooth which shows when I smile. I hate the idea that i'm going to have a huge gap for months, when I smile.

I've taken solace in the fact that thus far my teeth seem to have moved quite rapidly. They already look a million times better than they did when I first got the braces in June and I'm hoping that means the gaps will fill in quickly.

On that note, for people who have had their braces removed already, how many of you had them off during the prescribed amount of time? How many early and how many were delayed? I'm really curious about this, because I hear a lot of stories about people who should have only had braces for two years and instead had them for five. :o)

nimo

#2 Post by nimo »

I had my top two premolars taken out (also cute and without problems) to relieve the crowding in my top front teeth.

My suggestion is to take it slowly. I had almost no pain, and had no complications, but I didn't start eating chips or other pointy things right away either. Yogurt, mashed potatoes, really soft things at first, then work your way up. I really haven't had to change my diet at all, and it's been about five months since I had them taken out.

The gaps they left kind of bothered me, as far as appearances go, but it looks better to have gaps with braces than without, as people may see the gaps but they know that it's a work in progress. Some people don't notice (I have to actually point things out to them), and some people do but don't say anything. I can honestly say that people look me in the eyes a lot more now that I have braces. Whether it's because they're avoiding all the metal or because my straighter teeth aren't as distracting as the train wreck they previously were, I can't say. I choose to believe the latter.

So get your teeth pulled, lay around and relax for a few days, enjoy your painkillers, and read a good book. I'm terrified of needles, and a total pain pansy, and the week after my extractions was one of the most relaxing times I've had in over a year. Think positive, it will all be fine!
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Joual

#3 Post by Joual »

I'm having 4 premolars removed. The first premolars on top and the 2nd premolars on the bottom. I can relate to being upset about healthy teeth being removed.

Henna_the_braceface

#4 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I had 4 premolars removed in December 2005.... the needle is what most people are afraid of, but seriously it isn't that bad! Don't be afraid of the needle! Good luck! :D

Dramagyrl

#5 Post by Dramagyrl »

I had four extractions exactly a week before I got the braces on. Everything was healed and ready to go for braces.
Six weeks later, everything is going great. Still have gaps, but it does get easier to eat with the holes after about week and the braces are probably more challenging than the braces.