Warning - this is gross - but a serious problem

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ronni

Warning - this is gross - but a serious problem

#1 Post by ronni »

I also posted this in Ask the Doc, but thought I would try here too.

I have an area where the gum is swollen and it is painful. When I push on it, some clear/cloudy/slightly yellow fluid comes out and it has an awful smell (i know - its digusting) and it is causing bad breath.

My gums have swollen before due to irriation from my braces, but I have never had the fluid and it usually goes away in a day or so. Also, this area is behind my very last molar on the bottom (where my wisdom teeth would be) and there isn't a molar band or any brackets on that tooth, so I have a feeling its not because of the braces.

This is the 2nd day of this problem and it is really worrying me. I just went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago, they didn't say anything about gum disease. I have been rinsing with mouth wash and brusing regularly, but it just make the fluid smell mint-flavored and still really gross.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I wonder if this is common? Please help. Thanks

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

Sound like an infection to me......I am definately not an expert, but I wouldn't be suprised if you end up needing an antibiotic for it. I would definately call your dentist office and explain what is happening. I am sure they will want to see you right away.

Good luck and take care!

Ariesinatl

#3 Post by Ariesinatl »

This is most definitely an infection. Swelling, discharge and bad smell, are good signs it's an infection. How's your lymph node feeling on that side of your neck? if it's swollen and tender or painful, you have an infection.

I have had this happen to me before. A potato chip got wedgend between my back molar and gum and became infected.

My advice would be to immediately start gargling with 50% water and 50% hydrogen peroxide. If you have a water pik, use it. Use a toothbrush and try to gently clean the area with the water/hydrogen peroxide solution. gargle 4-5x times a day.

If you dont have hydrogen peroxide, buy yourself some listerine, original seems to work best on this. It may burn but it seriously kills germs.

You should be able to take care of it this way, if it's a mild infection.

If it doesn't get better or you develop more symptoms, like fever and very painful lymph nodes, get your butt to the doctor or dentist asap! You might need antibiotics. Mouth infections, specially gum infections can lead to serious illness.

Also gargle more often with Listerine or Biotene. Even when your mouth feels healthy.
Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I had that problem once years ago and my dentist said it was a "pocket" of gum where my wisdom teeth had been removed, which had got full of gunk and got infected.

You will probably need antibiotics and to have the infected part cleaned out. I wouldn't try and treat it at home, although you can use salt rinses and peroxide in the meantime, call your dentist and get it looked at.

egoh510

#5 Post by egoh510 »

I agree with the all the previous posts -- this is definitely NOT normal and sounds like an infection!! Call your dentist or ortho to have it look at-- u will probably be put on antibiotics asap!
Ceramics Brackets
Braces On: 11/22/04
Braces Off: 09/25/06 :)

ronni

#6 Post by ronni »

Thanks for everyones reply. I made a dentist appt that is in a half hour - I'll post an update of what it ends up being.

ronni

#7 Post by ronni »

Yep - its an infection from food being logged under the gum. No antibiotics though, he just cleaned it out with an antibactieral rinse and put me on a intense cleansing routine.

I hope it starts to heal soon!

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

Glad that you got it sorted out!

egoh510

#9 Post by egoh510 »

ronni wrote:Yep - its an infection from food being logged under the gum. No antibiotics though, he just cleaned it out with an antibactieral rinse and put me on a intense cleansing routine.

I hope it starts to heal soon!
Good thing you noticed it -- infection can become serious if not treated in time :D Wishing you a speedy recovery! :)
Ceramics Brackets
Braces On: 11/22/04
Braces Off: 09/25/06 :)

Pirate Wench

#10 Post by Pirate Wench »

Glad to hear you got in to the doctor right away. I hope you recover quickly.