Ashamed to ask - any other smokers out there?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rdms_girl

Ashamed to ask - any other smokers out there?

#1 Post by rdms_girl »

I am having a rough time quitting, but getting there slowly.... can anyone out there commiserate with me? :oops:

Dramagyrl

#2 Post by Dramagyrl »

I totally can.
Haven't been able to quit, despite trying several times.
I got clear brackets and in no time my elastics were stained because of smoking. I now have coloured elastics on the top which totally defeats the purpose of the ceramics. Yet another price I pay for my addiction.

braceface75

#3 Post by braceface75 »

I smoked the whole time I was in braces (21 months). I used targon and rinsed my mouth each time with water. Hope things go smoothly and quitting will not be to hard. :)
Michele

Braces and elastics since August 26,2004
Removable expander removed June 16,2005
Braces removed June 2,2006

joney

#4 Post by joney »

Hi rdms girl

I am a smoker. :oops: I heard that smoking slows down the healing process so it is a bit of a worry with braces. I haven't got braces yet but am planning it but reading about the first day pains and inability to eat makes me feel like it would be a really difficult time to give up at the beginning of the process. Maybe later down the line ... But then again I've been saying "later down the line" for years to put it off. Who knows we may manage to quit the evil weed eventually!

Regards
Joney

r4zz0

#5 Post by r4zz0 »

hiya rdms_girl...i can relate...got my braces 3 1/2 days ago and ive been cigarette free for 4 days now. i've quit for a few weeks/months in the past but always ended up smoking again. now im taking it one day at a time and hopefully getting braces will help me quit for good....or at the very least cut it down dramaticly.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Another addict here :D

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Wow, matty-oz, that's some positive attitude you've got there. I reckon you'll get there too.

ThisIsMary

#8 Post by ThisIsMary »

I personally don't smoke but I know someone who did for 20 years or more. He told me he tried over and over again to quit and could never do it. He told me he would smoke a bunch the day before he was going to quit because he knew he would never have any past that point, or so he thought. He said the thing that made him quit was realizing what he was gaining instead dwelling upon what he was going to loose. Apparently once he realized this he never smoked another cigarette. I just thought I'd share his story. I hope that all of you can one day quit in order to live a healthier life.
[/url]

Ceramics on top
Metals on bottom
18 - 24 month duration
Removed September 27, 2006
Hawley top and bottom

KJM

#9 Post by KJM »

rdms_girl I can sympathize with you. I smoked for over 15 years. I quit 4 years ago, and I can tell you it was one of the biggest challenges I have ever had and one of my personal victories that I am most proud of. Since then I was able to get my hubby to quit last summer and we have not looked back since.
Good Luck!!! It is possible ( if my grandfather can quit after 50 years of HEAVY smoking-more than 2 1/2 packs a day- then anyone can!) I cant tell you its easy, but it is very satisfying when you have finally conquered the addiction. Hang in there and just keep trying!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

rdms_girl

#10 Post by rdms_girl »

:D Thanks for all of the encouragement. I am down to 2-3 cigarettes a day, I used to smoke about 6-7. It doesn't help that I have bite turbos in and can't spend my cravings on crunchy foods!!!

Grr, I'm hungry... :x

KJM

#11 Post by KJM »

That is great rdms_girl! You sound like your really on the right track!

Remember even if you "fall off the wagon" dont stop... get right back on and keep trying. My hubby experienced this a few times, he would get stressed and smoke one and just throw in the towel thinking he had blew it. The final time, he just would realize it was a bump in the road, and just move on from there...

How about some hard candies you can suck on to substitute for the crunchy stuff for a while? I know I chewed gum most of the time to help me. Not sure if your ortho will let you have gum though, mine doesnt ( but I chew it anyway) *sshhhhh* :wink:

Good Luck!! Your doing great!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Hallanole

#12 Post by Hallanole »

Sadly I smoke. I plan on quitting, but everytime I start to succeed, I get something extremely stressful (child support non payment, seeing the Judge again, dealing with the Ex)

So far I've cut down a bit, and with the colour ligs I chose, the staining isn't noticeable. I have less then 2 weeks till my first Adjustment! Wooo!!!

rdms_girl

#13 Post by rdms_girl »

KJM - Thanks for the advice and encouragement... unfortunately, I can't chew gum - I can't chew anything with this Turbo in!!!!

Julie08

Ex-smoker

#14 Post by Julie08 »

I smoked a pack or more a day for about 25 years. I quit two years ago. The best advice I can offer is to stop listening to people telling you how hard it is. It can be done -- millions of people have done it - and you can, too, when you decide you really want to. The second piece of advice is to stop feeling guilty about smoking. Just about everyone does something they shouldn't do - maybe it's eating too much, not getting exercise, drinking, not wearing their seatbelt when driving, etc. Smokers get a bad rap these days - it's unfair, in my opinion. Until you decide you really want to quit smoking, you may as well enjoy each cigarette. Don't let other people stop your enjoyment and don't let other people convince you that you can't quit if you want to, because you can. Just my opinion.

Hallanole

#15 Post by Hallanole »

Julie08, That was very nicely stated. I get harrassed a lot for smoking by a bunch of non smokers. The worst is the ones that had quit. I try when I get my mind set and I succeed for most part. I know I could do better, but to smoke is easier then most things when being a single parent.

I know it's bad for me, Heck, I'm a medical assistant, I know what damage I am doing to my body. But it's MY body and I choose how to treat it.

I don't honestly believe it's the quiting that is hard, but the routine. You get so used to doing something and to stop it, it's hard.

For example, you have a coffee every morning before your shower, and a few more times in the day. You crave that coffee, and you feel you can function better with it.

Joe Smoe says OMG coffee is way bad. Don't drink coffee anymore! (and whatever reasons) So you stop your coffee. But for awhile you are gonna be crabby, want one in the worst way, etc. That is until you adjust to the routine of not having to depend on that coffee.

Well at least for me it's the routine. I ramble wayyyy to much. lol