Whats the point of wisdom teeth.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Septimus

Whats the point of wisdom teeth.....

#1 Post by Septimus »

....if everyone just gets them ripped out?

swellen

#2 Post by swellen »

Not everyone does. I still have all of mine and there's plenty of room for them... although saying that has probably guaranteed that someone will offer to rip them out at my next dentist visit! :lol:

JoeMama

#3 Post by JoeMama »

I think that wisdom teeth were more important way way way way back in the day, before utensils and farming. Back when humans had a more "natural" diet with more chewing and less cheese. (Umm cheese.) :D They're similar to your appendix, we don't use them much anymore, but they're still around.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

They allow oral surgeons to get those Jaguars. :biglaf:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jetxness

#5 Post by jetxness »

personally i figure that in an earlier time i would have lost some teeth by the time my wisdom teeth came in and so they would have come in handy.

ladygal

#6 Post by ladygal »

I'm glad somebody else wonders the exact same thing. Why don't dentist like them, especially if they're not infected or bothering the patient?

I hope to keep mine as long as possible!

rsprouse

#7 Post by rsprouse »

....if everyone just gets them ripped out?
Talk to God (or whom/whatever you may believe in)
I'm glad somebody else wonders the exact same thing. Why don't dentist like them, especially if they're not infected or bothering the patient?

I hope to keep mine as long as possible!
Many people have a very hard time cleaning them properly due to space or dexterity issues. The teeth often become decayed or trap food. Then they develop periodontal problems. If a perio problem develops it can not only put the 3rd molar at risk, but it can also compromise the health of the 2nd and even the 1st molar. I typically reccomend 3rd molar extraction to patients based on:
1. Not enough space for them to erupt properly
2. inability to clean them properly
3. inability to keep the entire area clean
4. Infection

Hope that helps,
Rory

juf_84

#8 Post by juf_84 »

Wisdom teeth are there because for most of history, there was a good chance that some adult teeth would rot and fall out, so by the time a person reached adulthood, there was room and a need for the wisdoms.

Not everyone has wisdom teeth. Neither of my parents have them. Maybe they are slowly being "evolved" out? My sister's wisdoms have come through and fit perfectly in her mouth and aren't causing any problems. She hasn't had orthodontics btw. My wisdoms attempted to come through, became impacted, and had to be removed. I didn't have the space for them. I'm very anti extractions (not that I have ever had a bad experience) but ultimately I was in pain and my wisdoms were causing too many problems, so it wasn't a difficult decision to get them out!

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Jennifer
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

Wisdom teeth are there because for most of history, there was a good chance that some adult teeth would rot and fall out, so by the time a person reached adulthood, there was room and a need for the wisdoms.
Jennifer
Kind of like a "spare tire". :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

Tell me about it...

juf_84

#11 Post by juf_84 »

:biglaf:
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

texbrace

#12 Post by texbrace »

The wisdom tooth is just the third adult molar. All catarrhine primates
(Old World Monkeys & Apes, including humans) have 3 molars. The third molar is the last one to erupt.

Im not trying to start a debate over evolution, but that is scientific reasoning.

I am lucky and don't have wisdom teeth! :D

:!: The answer to your questions :!:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/search.php