Power Chains Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

Power Chains Question

#1 Post by Paws917 »

I just got chains today and am wondering if and when my teeth are going to start to hurt. They ache a bit, but nowhere near enough to even take an ibuprofen. I've heard a lot of people on the board say how painful chains were at first, but they really did the job quickly.

I'm certainly glad they aren't hurting much, but OTOH, I'm worried that they aren't doing much.

I would love to hear anyone's experience with chains! Thanks!

Erin

ladygal

#2 Post by ladygal »

Each person has a different experience, but hey if you're in no pain you might be passed the worst of it.

When I had my powerchain applied, I had a VERY sore tooth...so applying the chain was excruciating; but after the chain was on I was fine. Biting into foods took a while, but I wasn't needing any pain killers. I just took it slow. And I haven't had much discomfort either. Occasionally I feel my teeth pulling if I chew something that requires some work, but all in all I've loved my powerchain. It does some quick work.

Now the only bad thing for me is I have an adjustment coming and the same tooth is sore AGAIN, so it's going to be an 'interesting' day when they replace the chain :( :(

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I've had powerchains across my bottom teeth (to close gaps) and apart from a bit of sensitivity in the first couple of days, they have been bearable.

I suspect I'm not finished with them, somehow.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I had a little chain put on last Wednesday. It's only the "weakest" kind but I haven't had any pain from it.

bckydgardnr

#5 Post by bckydgardnr »

I think it depends on the strength of the chain. At first when my ortho put chains on I thought , geesh what's all the fuss about. Now when new chains go on my top teeth along with zinc string I am sore for about two days after each adjustment. If you are just starting your ortho may have started you off with a weaker chain. :D

Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

stargirl

#6 Post by stargirl »

Hmm, I've never had any more pain with powerchains than regular ligs... I really think it depends on what they're trying to accomplish. If you had gaps to close, the chains would probably cause more pain than for someone with no gaps? That's just my guess...

A plus side to powerchains is that they seem to cover more of the bracket and therefore there are less sharp edges! After months and months of powerchains I just recently got single ligatures on my lowers and I've got cuts and canker sores for the first time in forever! :(

Paws917

#7 Post by Paws917 »

I too did not know there were different strengths to chains. Mine must be of the weaker variety because this morning, I don't really feel any pain -- only pressure.

I have to agree that the chains do make the braces more comfortable although the assistant told me that as the archwire brings my overall teeth inward, it may push it (the archwire) out a bit in the back and start poking me. She did tell me to just come in and have it trimmed if that happens, but my ortho's office is an hour away, so I hope I don't need to do this.

Erin

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

I have had a powerchain on my 12 teeth in the upper arch for about 6 weeks and I only felt pressure when my ortho's office was placing it on my teeth, but after that no discomfort at all.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Gennel

#9 Post by Gennel »

So far I've had 2 different powerchains put on. I had no pain at all with the first powerchain. My second adjustment were much,much tighter but there was very little soreness ,nothing to complain about.

I just got my bottom braces on this wednesday and they put powerchains on one side and it's a very weak powerchain. I did not get any pain at all from this one. There are much stronger powerchains and you will slowly get used to them. So later on when you get other powerchains you might feel a little sore for 1-2 days at most.

Gennel

Eleni

#10 Post by Eleni »

I have had a powerchain on my 12 teeth in the upper arch for about 6 weeks and I only felt pressure when my ortho's office was placing it on my teeth, but after that no discomfort at all.

ssfw
I agree with ssfw. I've found that for me power chains hurt going on and then don't bother me at all after, while ligatures are the opposite. Ligs go on quickly and painlessly but hurt more after the adjustment. Could also depend on your pain threshold.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Dramagyrl

#11 Post by Dramagyrl »

So what about wires?
I'm not sure what they are called, but I had two put on at my first adjustment last week. They are a thin wire that runs along behind the archwire and wrap around the teeth on each side of my extractions. The ortho said they are to help pull the extraction gaps closed faster. I asked if they acted like powerchains (I wouldn't have known the term if it hadn't been for the website) and they said yes. But I haven't heard of these and don't know if they are effective or if there's anything else I should know.
All I've learned is to be careful where I put my tongue (catch them the wrong way and they'll cut your tongue because they are sharp) and the ends can jump out a bit and cut the lip. They are soft and flexible enough though, I could just push the end back into place with a toothpick :)

Anyone else have these before?

Dramagyrl

#12 Post by Dramagyrl »

Sorry to bring this topic back to the top, bt it's been a few days since I was on and I was surprised to see no response to this. Am I the only one that has these or should I post pics so it makes more sense?

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

I haven't heard of those I must admit. I'd be interested to see a pic as I'm finding it hard to visualise. :D