Orthodontics Expense

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

#16 Post by Lisa65 »

In the UK it takes a total of 13 years to become a fully trained consultant orthodontist, so that's where your money goes. You're paying for his skills.

rsprouse

#17 Post by rsprouse »

I dont think dentist is an eight year degree, almost certain.
Do get a DDS or DMD you need a 4 year college degree followed by 4 years of Dental School. Then any additional training that you may have (AEGD, GPR, etc). Then to become an Orthodontist you will spend another 2-3 years in school to specialize. And of course there are some people that get a masters or other training in there. So to be a Dr. you need a minimum of 8 years of schooling.

Regards,
Rory

hippyhippo

#18 Post by hippyhippo »

I can second the "you're paying for their schooling" comments. Next fall is my 10 year high school reunion, and I know a bunch of my classmates are still in school because of their professional goals. My one friend just became a dentist last year, which would have been, yup, 8 years of full time school. If he was going to be an orthodontist he'd still be in school now.

Also, dentistry isn't exactly a glamourous field. You really couldn't pay me enough to have to go look into other people's mouths all day. Especially since many many many people out there completely neglect their teeth and have rotting gums, extreme decay, bad halitosis... Ugh! :yuck:

Paws917

#19 Post by Paws917 »

But those people don't go to the dentist! :lol:

Actually, I think there are lots worse fields in medicine -- gynecologist, podiatrist and proctologist to name a few. When I used to ride the subway to work, I'd look around at some of the people and think, "Boy, I'd sure hate to be YOUR doctor and have to poke around all YOUR nooks and crannies!" I can only hope that most people shower and brush their teeth before heading off for an appointment.

Erin

Lisa65

#20 Post by Lisa65 »

They do go to the dentist though! When the pain of rotting teeth gets so bad that even THEY can't stand it. So the poor dentist gets the worst of it.

But I agree with you about gynaecologists and procologists having a worse deal. :? You wouldn't catch me poking about in somebody's nooks and crannies. If I'd had the brains to go to medical school I wouldn't have chosen any of those disciplines! :lol:

Jillianleab

#21 Post by Jillianleab »

I think part of it is paying for school, skill, office space, assistants, insurnce, etc. But also, as with many professions, you charge what people will pay and take as much profit as you can get. Think about when you read in the tabloids that Paris Hilton get something like $800,000 for making a 15 minute appearance at a party. Did it cost her $800,000 for her time? No, but people will pay it, so that's what she charges. I recently had a tattoo removed, and let me tell you, orthodontics is a BARGAIN compared to that! Each session was $400 (it took four) and the doctor was done in, I'm not kidding, three minutes each session.

At least there hasn't seemed to be a lot of inflation with orthodontic prices, most people I know who had them as kids paid a similar amount to what I am, or similar to what others on this board are paying.
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

sjsarre

#22 Post by sjsarre »

Looking at it is perspective I had a knee operation for severe plica syndrome. It had to be done at a knee clinic in the UK. The bill for the operation was £9,500.. Extortionate really. But I tell you what, to me it was worth every penny.

Mind you, I didn't have to pay!! :D

My Ortho work is costing me £4,100 thats including everything..

lemonlyme

#23 Post by lemonlyme »

im so glad i have insurance to cover a portion of it!

Dramagyrl

#24 Post by Dramagyrl »

You're also paying for your ortho's time, even if he sees you for a few minutes at your appointments. My ortho does not take clients on Friday's and the rest of the office is closed because he does his treatment plans those days. A lot of expertise and mathamatics go into the planning and implementation of moving your teeth and he needs to go through formulas and blah blah blah.... I'm already bored just thinking about it. I've gotta' give cudos to the orthos who go through school to learn it because I know that's something I would never want to do. I'm sure glad there are people out there that do find it interesting and can treat cases like me, no matter the length of education or cost of treatment.

Paws917

#25 Post by Paws917 »

Well, if orthodontics costs about the same as it did 20 or so years ago, it's probably because more people are having it done. When I was a kid, slightly gapped teeth and an overbite were no reason to get braces. You had to have really twisted teeth to get them and nobody's insurance covered any portion of them. Heck, nobody's insurance even covered fillings back then!

Also, back then, there was more work involved in putting on braces as they used tooth bands to hold the brackets onto the tooth instead of just gluing them right onto the tooth. So that involved more time and material which equates to money.

Erin

Gennel

#26 Post by Gennel »

IT sometimes depends on the area you live in. I know an orthodontist that charged $3,500 for a girl who had severe crowding on top and bottom, pluse she has impacted canines also. Her estimated treatment time is 3 yrs. My ortho charges about $4,000-$6,000 for any type of braces. Clear,metal or gold braces.

The ortho that charges cheap has like 20 yrs of experience . My ortho is in his mid -to late 30's and charges more for treatment.

Gennel

Paws917

#27 Post by Paws917 »

One way in which the orthodontic practice differs from the medical is in their relationships with insurance companies. I know that when I go to my doctor and the insurance pays for it, they often pay a lesser (negotiated I presume) amount and then tell me I'm not responsible for the rest as the doctor has agreed to accept that amount. I currently have a PPO through Cigna, but I've had other insurances in the past 10-15 years that do the same thing. Apparently (or I should say "obviously"), orthos don't have that kind of agreement with insurance companies. Not sure if it will ever get to that point though.

I know several doctors who have said that because of this and the rising cost of malpractice insurance, medicine is not the hugely lucrative profession it once was.

I'm not sure if the cost of malpractice insurance for orthos is the same as it is for medical doctors though.

Erin