Too much fluoride??? Asthma inhalers??? Bad for teeth???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

babykitten75

Too much fluoride??? Asthma inhalers??? Bad for teeth???

#1 Post by babykitten75 »

:-1 Hi All :-1

I recently went on a trip to Wal-Mart and bought myself
:arrow: a new toothbrush (Oral-B Cross Action - battery operated) for under $7
:arrow: Plax Pre-Brush Mouthwash for around $6
:arrow: Oral-B anti-bacterial with fluoride Mouthwash for around $6
:arrow: Crest Pro-Health toothpaste for $2
:arrow: a portable Waterpik for $42.

I love using all of my oral care items but need advice about some of them.

Question 1: How do you brush with a battery operated/electric toothbrush with braces on your teeth and ensure you are brushing properly without toothpaste flying all over the place?

:biglaf: because I have been flingling toothpaste all over my mirror trying to look into it while brushing my teeth to make sure I get all of them and around the brackets and wires.

Question 2: Is it possible to use too much Fluoride? Is it bad for your teeth?

:huh: because I have been using Crest Pro-Health toothpaste which has stannous fluoride 0.454%, which I use 2-3 times/day.
Then once a day, I use Oral-B anti-bacterial with Fluoride mouthwash sodium fluoride 0.05%, which says not to eat or drink within 30 minutes after using this mouthwash.

Question 3:Is the medicine in asthma inhalers bad for your teeth?

:soremouth: because someone told me once that it can be bad for your teeth. Also, once I got a free sample of an asthma inhaler when I didn't have health benefits and my doctor told me that if I use it, I have to make sure to rinse out my mouth after.

:BigGrin: Thanks for all replies in advance!

------------------------------------------------------
3 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 20, 2006
2 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 27, 2006
5 spacers put in: Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Spacers out, full braces in: Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Brace Treatment Time: 22 - 26 months.

missing_tooth

Re: Too much fluoride??? Asthma inhalers??? Bad for teeth??

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

babykitten75 wrote: Question 2: Is it possible to use too much Fluoride? Is it bad for your teeth?

:huh: because I have been using Crest Pro-Health toothpaste which has stannous fluoride 0.454%, which I use 2-3 times/day.
Then once a day, I use Oral-B anti-bacterial with Fluoride mouthwash sodium fluoride 0.05%, which says not to eat or drink within 30 minutes after using this mouthwash.
My ortho gave me a prescription toothpaste. Neutral Sodium Floride 1.1% The directions say for kids to rinse, and adults to spit and I believe in niether case should one eat or drink for 30 minutes.

I asked my ortho assitant about this, I guess the reason is they do not want the floride getting in the blood stream. How much and what effects it has I don't know.

FWIW

- Missing Tooth -

MS1

#3 Post by MS1 »

Regarding your question about medicine in asthma inhalers being bad for your teeth, my understanding is that you should rinse your mouth not necessarily to remove the medicine from your teeth, but from the tissue in your mouth. The medicine can eventually erode your mouth tissue if you don't rinse properly. This is the explanation my doctor gave me. I've been using my inhalers twice a day for 10 years + and have had no dental problems relating to their use.

Harpua

Asthma inhaler

#4 Post by Harpua »

The most likely reason you were told to rinse after using your inhaler: I'm guessing it contains a steroid. Medicines like Advair, Flovent, etc have steroids that are intended to treat your lungs directly. If you don't rinse, the steroid will be absorbed by the tissues in your mouth and could cause thrush. No big deal, just better to rinse and avoid unnecessary side effects. I have never heard anything about it effecting your dental health.

Pirate Wench

#5 Post by Pirate Wench »

I agree with Harpua. I have been using an asthma inhaler for years and don't have any problems with my teeth (other than ortho work :lol: ). My three year old has been on inhalers since he was 8 months old and doesn't have any issues with his teeth either. He went to the dentist for the first time this summer and we were told that he has beautiful teeth and to keep up the brushing as we have been.

My doctor told me the same thing about the thrush issue. If you don't rinse after using your inhaler you could get thrush and you will need an antibiotic to get rid of it. Thrush looks like a thick substance (which looks like milk) that coats your mouth and goesn't come off with brushing or scraping. It is basicly a yeast infection.

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

1. Use the modified bass technique. Position the brush at a 45 degree angle to your gum and use very gentle pressure and go in circles up to the gum line. Do this all around your arch. Then use the same angle on the incisal portion of the tooth making sure you work around the bracket itself. Finish on the occlusal portion of the tooth. You should be brushing for at least 2 minutes at a time. Music is your friend, listen to half a song or a whole song to keep you there.

2. Yes, too much Fl- can be bad, but not for your teeth. The big concern is ingesting it, but that is not common if you spit out the excess. I would do the mouth rinse 1x per day and brush at least 3x or preferably after meals as well. Stannous Fl- comes in a higher percentage than sodium Fl- due to its chemical state and how it is delivered to the tooth.

3. The reason it is recommended that you rinse is to lessen your risk for a fungal infection of the oral cavity. It is not common, but it does happen. If you forget to rinse or brush after using your inhaler I wouldn't be too concerned. But it is a good habit to get in to.

Good Luck,
Rory

babykitten75

#7 Post by babykitten75 »

:dance: Thanks rsprouse, Pirate Wench, Harpua, MS1, Lucyloop, missing_tooth, and KK!!!

:computer: All your replies were really helpful.

:HugeGrin: I am not making a mess of my mirror now while brushing, not worried about too much fluoride and I'm making sure I rinse after using my astma inhaler. :rawk:

I'm really thankful for all your help!

3 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 20, 2006
2 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 27, 2006
5 spacers put in: Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Spacers out, full braces in: Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Brace Treatment Time: 22 - 26 months.