Power Chains and Slurring

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

Power Chains and Slurring

#1 Post by Paws917 »

Did any of you notice that slurred occasionally when you got your power chains? I'm noticing that now and it drives me nuts! It can't be my imagination. Sometimes, I swear I hear a slight whistle even!

Erin

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Mmm....I don't think this has happened to me. The only impact on my speech has been as a result of the linguals (and that has just about disappeared).

Paws917

#3 Post by Paws917 »

Well, I THINK it has moved two of my bottom teeth a little further apart, but that could just be my imagination. I mean I've only had these things on for 24 hours so far!

Erin

Bianca

#4 Post by Bianca »

:) I don't think my issue is specific to the powerchain, but the other day my husband told me that ever since I got my braces I have a slurring problem.

I guess it's present all the time, but definitely more noticable when I am tired.

Whatever!

:)

It's a two year process.......

MsTiaLia

#5 Post by MsTiaLia »

Well, I haven't had the slurring, but I was on the telephone with a girlfriend the other day and I kept hearing this whistling sound. So, I'm telling her this story and I'm looking all around my den trying to figure out where the whistling is coming from...then I realized that it went away when I stopped talking :oops: I didn't even have the nerve to tell my friend! Though I'm sure she would've found it quite amusing since she just recently got her braces off!

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

Nope, no slurring for me!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

nita

#7 Post by nita »

I guess you could call it slurring... I have noticed that my speech was affected with my last adjustment. I have really thick square wires on both arches and powerchains across all my uppers and lowers.
In my case, I think it has to do with the profile of the wire with the powerchains - my braces stick out further than ever before! It is definitely giving my lips extra work when I talk, so I think I sound funny, but I'm not sure anyone else notices.
I haven't noticed any whistling yet, that could be funny! :shock:
Top brackets and spacers on 2/17/06
Molar bands on 3/6/06
Extractions and full braces 3/27/06
Update: 22-24 months total time in braces!