Life with Braces (was: Tomorrow is Brace Day!)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hippyhippo

#16 Post by hippyhippo »

Thanks again for all your encouragement!

KK, I used the dental wax overnight my first night, but I accidentally had forgotten to bring it with me to work. Needless to say, I haven't made that mistake again!

Also, thanks for the soft food suggestions. I haven't been eating as well as I normally do, but I think I'm eating better than the average joe does. Although I believe this is the first time I have eaten Kraft Dinner since university (the KD Spirals are great since you don't have to chew them, and adding tuna gave it some extra protein). I haven't been getting my share of veggies though, which I'll need to remedy this weekend.

As far as coworkers comments go, yes, everything has been positive. Kind of a "Wow, that's pretty amazing, being able to go through this as an adult. Good for you!". Heh. Most people have a hard time understanding why I'm putting myself through this, though.

Anyways, life is getting easier. No pain killers today, and I was able to chew on something! Okay, it was only cooked apple slices which are pretty soft, but it's better than yesterday! So I think I may eventually adapt to these things, at least pain wise.

Unfortunately, I am still frustrated with my speech, and also with my appearance since my lips still don't know where to go. I'm really hoping this goes away soon, since it's beginning to really impact my confidence at work.

Okay, that's an update after 3.5 days in braces!

texbrace

#17 Post by texbrace »

Congrats on starting your journey to a better smile!!! :tingrin:

Btw: :arrow: You have damon3 mx's on your bottom arch.

:!: The answer to your questions :!:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/search.php

hathetran

#18 Post by hathetran »

hope you're likin your braces!!

hippyhippo

#19 Post by hippyhippo »

Well, life IS getting better with braces. The fact that I'm eating more normally is probably helping leaps and bounds, and my mouth sores are slowly healing (except for one spot... yeouch!).

Meryaten, I'm using lip balm all the time now, and it really does help with the speaking. I still break out into a lisp fairly often, but it's not AS often, so I'll take what I can get :)

Oh, and I'm convinced my teeth are moving pretty darn quickly! I'll take pics on Tuesday for my 1 week anniversary and post them here, so you guys can see the difference. As excited as I am about the teeth moving, one of my lower teeth actually noticeably wiggles when I floss it (and it hurts like a @#$#^ too during flossing). Needless to say, it's a bit concerning. But I think it's the tooth that as moved the most, so I guess it's too be expected... right :?:

Anyways, thanks for your continued support!

hippyhippo

#20 Post by hippyhippo »

Btw: :arrow: You have damon3 mx's on your bottom arch.
Thanks for letting me know that! I didn't know the name of my lower brackets, other than they were Damons.

rdms_girl

#21 Post by rdms_girl »

Hippy - I am glad too hear some of your stories, as they are very similar to mine - I was braced 7 days ago now

I am not eating well either, thanks to the Turbo I have ! :x
An I am also surprised by the amount of movement in me teeth - after only 7 days, the difference is astounding!

My co-workers saw me for the first time today, and didn't notice my ceramics until I got close to them, but I sure am having a hard time speaking without a lisp!

Good luck with your journey!

wiredkitty

#22 Post by wiredkitty »

Hippyhippo You are going through the same stuff as me. My teeth had moved within one week too. My two front teeth are crossed over and they've move enough that there is a little gap at the top now (still crossed the bottom of them though). The annoying thing about that is sometimes when I speak a little bubble of saliva goes through it - its very weird. My speech has also been a bit funny - like I have a lisp.

I'm also going through lots of lip balm. I have 4 of them so I can keep one on my desk, one in my car, one next to the bed and one in my handbag so I'm never without it.

When my husband returns from his ski trip with the camera I can post some pictures (thanks for the picture taking advice).

P.S Last night I didn't sleep with any wax on - my mouth must be toughening up.

32yr old Kiwi
Braces on 10 August 06
1st adjustment 21 Sept 06
2nd adjustment 6 Nov 06
Surgery in a year
Expected treatment time: 24 months

hippyhippo

#23 Post by hippyhippo »

Hello hello!

Just a quick update, since I said I'd post new pics after a week. Well, that was yesterday, and while I took pictures last night I forgot to post them until today.

Brace Day

Not much of a startling change, but after 1 week, not bad eh? (ignore the chapped lips!)

I also thought I'd say that life is MUCH easier now that I've been in braces for a week. No more dental wax because I have no more mouth sores -- yay! I can eat way more things now, and yes, I even tend to forget that I'm wearing them most of the time now. My speech is also improving daily. Two years is looking a heck of a lot easier now!

Thanks again for all your support! :D

wiredkitty

#24 Post by wiredkitty »

Its so exciting to see them move! My two front teeth are heaps straighter and I cant' wait for the day when the cross over one pops back in place! I keep telling my husband that it will go 'pop' into place - and he laughs because of course it will be gradual and not one sudden movement.

I'll try and get some photos up in the next few days too. I've also been wax free for a few days but I must have been moving my mouth in my sleep last night as its a bit sore this morning so I'm back on to the salt water rinses.

32yr old Kiwi
Braces on 10 August 06
1st adjustment 21 Sept 06
2nd adjustment 6 Nov 06
Surgery in a year
Expected treatment time: 24 months