Longer deciding to get braces than your treatment will be?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joney

#1 Post by joney »

I thought about it for years but never seriously considered it until I brought my youngest daughter to the orthodontist for her treatment in July and I saw the orthodontist wearing an upper brace. I spoke to her about it and she persuaded me to see her colleague who deals with adults. All in all my decision since seriously considering it in July has been quick but that is mostly thanks to the information and support on this site.

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

I started thinking about it probably about a year ago. I went to the dentist and talked about Invisalign (big NO on that one!), and she told me to have some consults. Life got in the way and I had a consult in I think November 2005. Didn't like that ortho, and put it off again. Life got in the way AGAIN (funny how it does that) and I went for another consult in March 2006. That's the ortho I picked, and I was banded May 19!

Once I really made up my mind I just went with it, I knew if I dwelled on it I would talk myself out of doing anything, and I'm really glad I took the plunge!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

MS1

#3 Post by MS1 »

I had to keep postponing for monetary reasons. I've spent a fortune on root canals, crowns, replacing fillings, etc. over the last five years. I'm finally at the point that I could afford braces since I've fixed everything else. Geez, I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Tin Indian

waitng

#4 Post by Tin Indian »

:( Me To, I've been talking about it for about ten years, the last five seriously. After I had my wisdom teeth pulled and my teeth fixed and my Dentist nagging me on I finally went to se my Ortho. Now I get mine this Friday. Now I just wish I would'nt have been such a wussie chicken and just plain gone ahead and get it done. Now it will take another two years from my life.Oh well The things you learn.
Tin Indian-over and out

Yvonne1

#5 Post by Yvonne1 »

It's the same for me. I thought about it 10 years ago when my dentist sent me to an ortho for a consultation. As I thought it would be more for cosmetic reasons I didn't want to spend so much money and go through all the pain. So I stopped thinking about it.
Now, ten years later, I figured out that my bite really causes me trouble. This time I made the decision in 2 weeks and got braced last Friday. I am so happy that I finally did it, although it is still a strange feeling to have all that metal in my mouth.

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

Hi Meryaten,

I thought about it when I was 16yrs but chickened out. I talked about it and um'd and ah'd for the next 20 something years. Then I seriously gave it more thought about 2 years ago and finally started treatment 2 months ago. How many times have I said to myself since 'Why didn't I do this years ago'? There's only me to blame. I hope my treatment time is a lot, lot quicker than my decison making!!

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gunter8888

#7 Post by gunter8888 »

I knew I wanted to do it for quite some time, but it took 7-8 years for all the stars to align for me. Things just came together. 2 years ago I started at company who's dental insurance has great ortho coverage. Early this year I found an ortho I liked with a treatment plan that worked for me. In the spring I got a promotion and a pay increase that helps offset the cost of braces. Then I got a bonus that covered a nice down payment. At that time my wife said it was time I got moving forward. 3 weeks later I was on my way.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Um, I'd been thinking about it for about 35 years before doing anything about it.

I hope my treatment doesn't take that long. :shock:

juf_84

#9 Post by juf_84 »

I started thinking about getting braces seriously at the end of 2001... and finally took the plunge mid 2006... so five years of thinking about it for 9-12 months treatment time! But I'm a big believer that while we definitely have control over our lives, certain things we do happen at certain times for a reason. I don't regret not taking the plunge back in 2001 and now having braces... I love my ortho and my treatment plan and I just think everything came together now because it's the right time.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

I agree with you, juf_84 - there is a time for everything. It took me 35 years to get over the advice of first ortho who pretty much condemned my teeth and bite to perdition. That's more years than you've been on the planet! But I got there in the end.

wiredkitty

#11 Post by wiredkitty »

I didn't need braces when I was a teeenager as my teeth were straighter then. It wasn't until my 20s that my dentist suggested it might be good to straighten them to help me clean them (I also had bad gums at the time).

I didn't want to get them when I was single - so it wasn't until I was in a stable relationship and my partner encouraged to see an orthodontist, which was made easier because he was a friend of ours. Then I put it off again when we got engaged.

So they are finally on at age 32 so yes the time thinking about it was definitely longer than the time I'll be in then (well I certainly hope so!)

32yr old Kiwi
Braces on 10 August 06
1st adjustment 21 Sept 06
2nd adjustment 6 Nov 06
Surgery in a year
Expected treatment time: 24 months

pippy

#12 Post by pippy »

Hmm always wanted straight teeth (so say 20 yrs or so based on when I really noticed they were somewhat diferent to everyone elses :oops: - hey I was a little slow off the mark in those areas!) but never wanted braces so never gave it any thought.

Discovered wisdom teeth this january, had ortho appointment in consultation with dental surgery for wisdoms in March, teeth pulled June and braced in July...nothing like jumping on in there lol

Whats that my old mom used to say..'act in haste and repent at leisure'...but hey, shes the one who didn't straighten them when I was a kid so lets not listen to that theory :lol:

cbushnaq

#13 Post by cbushnaq »

I've been thinking about it for 28 years. My treatment time is estimated at 24-30 months. Previous consults said that surgery was a must or no braces so I put it off until I got brave enough to risk jaw surgery. New ortho says he can get a good result without surgery. My braces and RPE go on Sept. 6th.

Cindy

florencegal

#14 Post by florencegal »

I've been thinking about it seriously for about the last 5 years now - and obsessively for the last year or so! It's a bit upsetting when I realise that my teeth have got noticeably worse and worse in this time so if I'd got started with the braces sooner, it probably would have been less of a complicated case and certainly shorter treatment. Plus I'd have been enjoying great teeth for quite a while by now!

Buuuut..... everything happens for a reason and if life wanted me to wait until now then so be it. I'll appreciate the results even more!

(going for my second consultation tomorrow to discuss my treatment plan - so excited!!!) :D

Braces2.0

#15 Post by Braces2.0 »

My dentist first suggested braces to me several years ago--probably 5 or so. At the time I thought "no way" because he said I'd need my wisdom teeth pulled first.

Then I ended up getting my wisdom teeth out due to some pain I was having, that was about 3 years ago. I've been considering it since then, but was afraid it would cost too much. My daughter started seeing an orthodontist in May, at that time I thought I would go in and have mine fixed when she was done with hers. I said something to the doc at her last appointment, they suggested I come in for a consultation that day. Four hours later I had full braces. :lol:

My treatment is estimated to take 18 months.