NO-NO Foods :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cmm1280

NO-NO Foods :(

#1 Post by cmm1280 »

So I will be getting my braces in October... Prior to this, I want to mentally prepare myself for what foods are ABSOLUTELY off limits while in orthodontic treatment. (I want to make sure I get plenty of them before the time comes) 8)

Note: I'm not a pig or anything, going out to eat is one of my hobbies. :wink:

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

You will be able to eat most foods (maybe not at first) when you have your braces. Things like apples will probably need to be cut into pieces, and things like caramel will be a pain to clean out of your brackets, but you CAN still eat them. Mostly you have to be careful and chew on your back molars. Don't worry, you'll adjust!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

There is virtually nothing off limits for me, other perhaps than wasabi peas which are so darn hard (and blow your sinuses apart) that I've temporarily given them away.

I do with corn and ribs what Meryaten does: simply shave it off the cob/bone.

Like everyone else has said, just go easy and find the best way of eating the harder/stickier stuff that accommodates your needs.

cmm1280

#4 Post by cmm1280 »

Thank you everyone for the tips. I really appreciate it! I'm looking forward to easing myself into the routine.

Carla

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

Braces2.0

#5 Post by Braces2.0 »

I've only had braces for 2 weeks, but my husband (who wore them for a couple years in his teens) says that the only thing that gave him trouble was caramels--he broke an arch wire more than once eating caramels.

jaswi

#6 Post by jaswi »

avoid milk duds. Lesson learned.

PaulKariya

#7 Post by PaulKariya »

It's different for each Doctor but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

butterfly

#8 Post by butterfly »

Depends on the stage of your treatment. During the first month I couldn't eat anything chewy at all because all my mouth hurt. I had a lot of soups, rice, pasta and other soft stuff. I had no meat at all, just fish. Now after 9 months or so I am able to eat almost anything (besides a steak maybe) but I am careful about hard things like pizza rims and nuts beacuse they can damage the braces. I avoid sticky things as well although I am able to chew them in regard of pain management. The cleaning routine is a bit of a PITA. Especially when eating out in restaurants you have to go to the bathroom and pick on your teeth in front of people... But I got used to this as well.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

sjsarre

#9 Post by sjsarre »

I guess things that should be avoided aswell are that lovely crispy french bread which I have seen snaps off brackets pretty easily!!! although I do admit to eating it still myself I have to tear it into little bits.. Not such a good idea if you have a filling in it!!

I am a real lover of nuts and foods like banana chips which I find can be rather tricky to eat aswell!

36nBraced

#10 Post by 36nBraced »

stay away from sticky things and super hard foods. and...don't ever bite anything with your front teeth, i learned that lesson the hard way. i tried biting into a bagel and almost burst into tears, it hurt that bad. i don't even know why i tried to eat the bagel...momentary lapse in judgement i guess.

because food always gets stuck and it's a pain to clean, i find my self eating more soups, yogurts, smoothies, etc. flossing is a bear too. all in all, eat what you want but be prepared to do lots of cleaning afterwards.
Length of treatment: 18 - 24 months
06/13/06: Ceramic Uppers
06/29/06: Gum Grafts on 2 teeth
08/10/06: Metal Lowers

10/03/06: First Adjustment, 16 weeks after getting top braced; 8 weeks after lower...whoa !!!

Blonde_Metal04

#11 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

I have been in braces for a little over two weeks now, and I am able to eat just about anything, except for really sticky or sugary things...
Spacers: 08/09/2006

Betty Bat

#12 Post by Betty Bat »

You can check some of the things that folks listed as their "last meal" before braces for ideas on what might be difficult (but not impossible!) to eat after the braces go on. Mine was a Chicago-style deep dish pizza and a Snickers bar.

I've had a lot more trouble "biting" than "chewing". I think a few other folks have said the same. It's true that can eat most things post-braces - you can cut up some of the things that you used to bite into, like apples, and you can chew most things once you get it into your mouth! I haven't had any problems with brackets coming off (knock wood!) because of something I ate or otherwise, so I can't comment on that.

Having said all that, the thing I miss the most and the thing that I would have eated pre-braces if I had known is a big juicy hamburger. I KNOW I CAN CUT IT UP IF I REALLY WANT A HAMBURGER, BUT IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME. I want that experience of biting into it.

Joual

#13 Post by Joual »

I made the mistake of eating Sun Chips and I broke a molar band. It made an awful, loud crunch sound. I thought I could eat Sun Chips because I can eat those 100 calorie packs of Chips Ahoy and Oreo crisps, but Sun Chips are harder. At this point I only have my molar bands on.