Question about expanders

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lemonlyme

Question about expanders

#1 Post by lemonlyme »

I'm getting my bands fitted tuesday so they can send off to have mine made, i was just wondering....I noticed some of you have the removable kind, but at my ortho's office he only had the fixed type. Did you people with the removable kind ask for this kind? Or is that just what your ortho gave you? I'm going to ask at my appointment on Tuesday.

gunter8888

#2 Post by gunter8888 »

I got the removable type, but no options were ever presented to me (nor am I complaining). I can see why they prefer not to let kids have removeable appliances, but as adults, I think we are all self-motivated enough to keep them in our mouths.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

lemonlyme

#3 Post by lemonlyme »

I really hope he will let me have the removable kind, but at my last appointment he just had the fixed ones :(

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

I wish you luck on getting the removable type. While the removables are great for cleaning and brushing I think you will find that all expanders take time to get used to and are rather painful at times. Keep the ibuprofen close at hand!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

jaswi

#5 Post by jaswi »

If it were me, I'd prefer a fixed type. I wouldn't want to have to take it out to eat and such, not to mention I beleive the fixed type would feel like you had less in your mouth than a removable one.

SDFD TSchott

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

My cousin had a removable one and it just kept gettin in her way apperently so she went back and they fitted her with a fixed one which isn't causing any problems!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Kris721

#7 Post by Kris721 »

I am wearing a "pendulum" which is designed to create space between my molars to allow correction of my overbite with braces. My appliance is very similar to an expander and mine is cemented in place. It was extremely uncomfortable for the first few months and still a pain in the you-know-what to this day. If it were removable, I would take this thing out and chuck it, so I'm grateful that it stays in place.

Having said that, I would recommend getting a fixed appliance.

gunter8888

#8 Post by gunter8888 »

I haven't had any problems keeping my expander in place. After years of waiting to begin this journey and shelling out thousands of dollars I am VERY motivated to keep it in my mouth, turn the key regularly and hopefully see great results soon.

Guess its just one of those "to each his/her own" things.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

4tobrace

#9 Post by 4tobrace »

My son had a removable expander only it's not like what most people have had.

My son's expander was plastic. It was made out of the matieral they use for the plastic retainers. It went on the back teeth with clear snaps that were put on the teeth. It went across the top of his mouth just like a retainer does. They had taken impressions so that it fit perfectly. Each night he would pop it out, brush his teeth, maybe have a snack and of course brush again and then we put a new one in. He had a total of 24 of these and each night we put a new one in. Each one was a little bigger then the previous night. It was neat because we could hold #1 up to #24 and really see the size difference. My 6 year old actually put the new ones in himself...I had to take them out. He had no pain, no issues, nothing hanging down. He didn't mind it at all and each night he would remind me it was time to change.

He was expanded 6 mm with 24 expanders and not a moment of pain or discomfort.

So for us the removable type was wonderful. He had no issues and no complaints. He now has his braces on and it's amazing how much his teeth have moved and changed.

JJ55

#10 Post by JJ55 »

I just have a quick question, the "gap" between two of the front teeth how long does it take to close in or atleast get smaller. I have my expander on for 10 days and 2 turns a day and coming up on my last day.

ShinySmile

#11 Post by ShinySmile »

JJ55 wrote:I just have a quick question, the "gap" between two of the front teeth how long does it take to close in or atleast get smaller. I have my expander on for 10 days and 2 turns a day and coming up on my last day.
I stopped expanding after about 3.5 weeks, and my gap started closing immediately...it was about halfway closed by the time I got braces which was after about a 2 week wait.

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

4tobrace

#12 Post by 4tobrace »

Meryaten wrote:I'd suspect it made him feel better about the whole process having some measure of control over it himself. :thumbsup:

That's exactly what happened. He took it very seriously since he had a part in it. When it's time for my baby to go through the same thing (she's almost 3 but we know she will be in the same boat in a few years)...we are going back with the same type of expander.

lemonlyme

#13 Post by lemonlyme »

I'm getting the fixed kind for sure, my orthodontist said no to the removable kind..oh well. :roll: