Ok so it's been 3 days...poking wires...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krooner

Ok so it's been 3 days...poking wires...

#1 Post by krooner »

It's been 3 days since I got these things clamped into my mouth! I have mixed feelings....I know, in the long run, it will hopefully give me the smile I've always wanted. But right now, I'm annoyed with the poking wires, dry mouth, weird "big mouth" feeling and the fact that I feel like I have to hide my smile! I know these feelings will die down when I get used to these things but right now it is quite annoying! :cry:

Question about wax: I received some from the orthodontist but it hardly seems like enough. Where can I get some more? Will I need to keep applying it every day for a year?

Thanks in advance

Gracie

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Gracie

If the ends of the wires are poking you in the cheek or gum, then give your ortho a call. They can snip the ends off in a second. Wax doesn't really help with poky wires.

You can help the dry mouth by drinking lots of water to keep your mouth moist and using a lot of vaseline or chapstick on your lips.

KK's salt water rinses are good for toughening up the inside of your mouth and are soothing to any sore spots. Your ortho will probably give you more wax if you need it or depending on where you live I believe some drugstores stock it, or there are places online which sell it.

I only needed wax for about a week and after that found my mouth was tough enough to withstand any chafing.

It does get better honestly. The first week or so is the worst.

reba678

#3 Post by reba678 »

I've had mine on for a week now and I've only needed the wax twice. I haven't had the wire poking at the sides, I agree with the other poster about having them clipped, my problem is my bottom brackets are scraping the inside of my lip (they did this the day after I had the braces put on too) so I'm thinking "gee, maybe my teeth are moving already! ;)

I don't think you'll need the wax every day, you'll get used to it, but just ask your ortho for more when you go for your adjustment.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm thinking "gee, maybe my teeth are moving already!
They probably are! :D I noticed movement within a week of being braced.

Izzy

#5 Post by Izzy »

Gracie:

You can get more wax from your local pharmacy or from DentaKit. Also, some orthos will give you more if you ask.

I have been braced for seven weeks and still find that I need a bit of wax here and there. I will go for a few days, think everything is fine -- no more wax -- then my teeth move a bit and wax is neeed.
braced on July 12, 2006

krooner

Thank you

#6 Post by krooner »

Thanks all! I think the wires are fine, I'm just not used to them! The wax has helped a bit actually...

I'm just wondering if I'll ever get used to this "full mouth" feeling. I wake up in the morning and say "oh yeah..."

It will be worth it right?

Gracie

RainyDay2

#7 Post by RainyDay2 »

Mariaten, great post I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree...brackets you can get used to but poking wires bihind the metal tube is very hard to get used to.

You can find wax at walmart too. I plan on stocking up in a week when I go for my first adjusment. I hadn't had to use it at first but in the past few days I've had to apply some wax to the metal bands on my molars.

Good luck and yes it does get easier with time.