How often do you change elastics??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

How often do you change elastics??

#1 Post by Gennel »

My ortho told me to change my elastics and showed me how but did not mention how many times a day I should change them...

I did a search here but I did not really find a thread about elastics alone.
I've been changing them once a day. I keep them on 24/7 even when I eat and brush since they are not really in the way . At night I take them off ,use my waterpik,brush & floss and put new elastics on.
I've googled this and some sites say change them one a day and other sites say to change them at elast 2-3 times a day since they lose their elasticity.

I just got 1/4" medium elastics for the first time yesterday morning. Within 2-3 hrs I was in the worst pain since getting braces. It was a worse pain then an infection due to extractions that I got, much,much worse than spacers,worse than the first day/s inbraces. The only way to describe it is a severe and horrible toothache on 4 teeth at the same time!
I am taking pain pillers and it has gotten a whole lot better since lastnight when I slept for 2 hrs even after taking Vicadin!

Oh yeah ,back to my question.... How many times a day on average do you folks change your elastics? Iwill call my ortho tomorrow and ask anyway.

Gennel

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I change them every time I clean my teeth, which is 3 times a day after main meals. This was on the advice of the techie, who had first hand knowledge.

They do lose elasticity with prolonged wear and I've had a few snap on me. I don't brush with them in place.

I've currently got 3/16", medium (or "Bill" as it says on the packet) strung across my premolars in a box formation. The first 24 hours were a tad painful (I got two new wires simultaneously), and I did take something for relief the morning after. It was more like a dull headache than anything else. I haven't had a problem since (4 weeks later).

I didn't go the spacers route so can't compare.

juf_84

#3 Post by juf_84 »

Hi! I change mine 2-3 times a day.

The pain will go away pretty quickly... soon your mouth will feel strange if you leave the elastics off for too long. It's amazing how quickly we adjust!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Originally when I had a lot of needed movement, I was told to change the elastics 3 times a day. As my teeth have gotten closer and I need little change, I was told on one side to box my molars at night only.

It depends on your orthodontist and what needs to be done, I would say.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Leslie022

#5 Post by Leslie022 »

I change them when I brush or when they break....
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

ziggyziggy

#6 Post by ziggyziggy »

i change mine at least 5 times a day. one new one after i brush which includes morning, nighttime, and after 3 meals.

mmadigan

elastics

#7 Post by mmadigan »

I change mine everytime I brush my teeth after eating. The super heavy 1/8 were a challenge to get on and I found it easier to use the hook and put them in from top to bottom. The sad part is that the older you get, the harder it is to see the little buggers!

Henna_the_braceface

Re: How often do you change elastics??

#8 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

Gennel wrote:My ortho told me to change my elastics and showed me how but did not mention how many times a day I should change them...

I did a search here but I did not really find a thread about elastics alone.
I've been changing them once a day. I keep them on 24/7 even when I eat and brush since they are not really in the way . At night I take them off ,use my waterpik,brush & floss and put new elastics on.
I've googled this and some sites say change them one a day and other sites say to change them at elast 2-3 times a day since they lose their elasticity.

I just got 1/4" medium elastics for the first time yesterday morning. Within 2-3 hrs I was in the worst pain since getting braces. It was a worse pain then an infection due to extractions that I got, much,much worse than spacers,worse than the first day/s inbraces. The only way to describe it is a severe and horrible toothache on 4 teeth at the same time!
I am taking pain pillers and it has gotten a whole lot better since lastnight when I slept for 2 hrs even after taking Vicadin!

Oh yeah ,back to my question.... How many times a day on average do you folks change your elastics? Iwill call my ortho tomorrow and ask anyway.

Gennel

u have the same problem as me! i just phoned up and it turned out to be every 24 hours. :)

aznfayeth

#9 Post by aznfayeth »

after every meal and after I wake up in the morning and before I go to bed at night so like 5x. Doesnt the elastics get really stretched out and ineffective if you leave it in for 24hrs?
clarity top braces 12/5/04, debanded 1/3/07
bottom braces 4/17/05, debanded 11/26/06
hawley retainer for uppers,
bonded lower retainer

Betty Bat

#10 Post by Betty Bat »

I change mine 4 times a day - once after each meal/brushing and once at bedtime/brushing.

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

I've been changing the elastics 2-3 times a day. I really need that little plastic hook tool so I can put the elastics on easier. I use the tip of my nail to put them on and they usually snap on OUCH!!!

Ive been taking 2 tylenol now every 5-6 hrs today and I'm feeling a little better. The problem I think I'm having is that I must be grinding my teeth or clenching them at night. I often hear my mouth snap shut hard and all I hear of is "clack!" sound from my molar hooks crashing my top molars. That is why Iwake up in so much freaking pain. I can't even open my mouth in the morning. The pain soon goes away by 11 am.

I know this will pass and it will be totally worth it :)

Gennel

LP

#12 Post by LP »

I just got my elastics on Tuesday. I have one on each side, from top front premolar to bottom front molars that I wear all the time, and at night I put one on each side over the bottom extraction gaps (none over the top gaps though).

I've been changing them about 3 times a day, but I think I should do it more often. They are REALLY stretched and I'm sure they are losing elasticity pretty quickly. I have M4's [4mm (3/16"]. I find that within a few hours I can ope my jaw a lot farther then when I first put them in - so I'm thinking I will change them whenever they feel 'loose'.

I take mine out for brushing and eating - couldn't possibly eat with these things in. :?