How long to close One Upper Bicuspid Extraction Gap

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

How long to close One Upper Bicuspid Extraction Gap

#1 Post by Chris »

Anybody have this done and how long did it take to close?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

I have two bicuspids on top that were extracted and right before they put braces on I decided to measure them. The gap was about 7.5 MM . It has been about 10 weeks since I got braces and the gap right now is about 3.5MM . It depends on how fast your teeth move. I can't say 100% but my ortho said that adults teeth tend to move slightly slower or much slower than kids. I'm in my 30's . So for me I'm guessing that my extraction gaps will take about 5-6 months to fully close.

Gennel

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that teeth can technically move about 3mm a month but 1-1.5m is more realistic, especially in adults. So I'd guess around 6 months or so too.

sjsarre

#4 Post by sjsarre »

I had two removed on the top. I'm 5 months into my treatment and i'd say the gap that I have now is about 4mm..

momof2grlz

#5 Post by momof2grlz »

I had 2 upper bicuspids extracted in early September 2005 and I'm still waiting for the spaces to close. My right side is closing quicker than the left. My ortho put closing loops in my archwire on Friday and they have helped already, but man are they painful. Not exactly how I wanted to spend a holiday weekend!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

the_bufster84

#6 Post by the_bufster84 »

Hey, I had an upper bicuspid removed on either side. The ortho told me that gaps close about 1 mm per month for an adult and a bicuspid is on average 7 mm wide. Hope that helps

Upper Ceramics