It hurts!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ame_malia

It hurts!

#1 Post by ame_malia »

I got spacers put in my mouth 2 days ago, and it still hurts! Is it going to keep up, or will it get better? In 3 days they are taking them out in order to make molds of my mouth, then they are going to put new ones back in for another week before I get my braces. It feels like someone hit me in the face with a basketball, except worse! It hurts so much that it literaly wakes me up in the middle of the night! Plus, I've been living off of oatmeal, applesauce, Jello, and occasionally noodles. None of these foods seem to be very fillling and I'm always hungry. Also, I've been told by some people that this is the worst part, and the braces aren't as bad (the girl who put my spacers in had braces herself, so I assume she knows what she's talking about) I really hope thats true! Sorry for whining so much, this is just all new to me, and I'm hoping I can put up with it for the required amount of time.

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi there,

Almost everyone on this board who's posted about spacers has said they are the worst part of the treatment. Personally I found the spacers pretty uncomfortable for about 3 or 4 days. After that my teeth must have moved a bit because they didn't feel so bad.

Have you tried taking a mild painkiller such as ibuprofen (Advil) as that can help a little bit with the discomfort.

Hang in there it does get better, and don't worry about "whining", there's always somebody here who's been through what you have and knows how it feels.

Lisa x

ame_malia

Thanks

#3 Post by ame_malia »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm relieved to hear that spacers is the worst part! I've been alternating tylenol and ibuprofen all day, and it takes most of the pain away, leaving me with a sometimes dull ache, which I can deal with.

I found this website when I initially decided to go through with getting braces, and its been pretty helpful. It's nice to talk to and get advice from people who have gone through/are going through the same thing that I am.

WeezieGirl25

#4 Post by WeezieGirl25 »

Hey ame!

I got my spacers in almost two weeks ago and I will have them in until this Wednesday when my braces go on. Anyhow, the first 3 days I was miserable and I lived off Advil. After about the 4th day my teeth finally felt normal and I started eating normal foods. I was starving as well but don't worry you'll be ok in a few days! Right now I am eating anything and everything because I'm getting an RPE and my upper ceramics in a few days so I'm sure I'll be back to my advil popping days shortly!! Goodluck with the spacers, they definitely suck but the pain should start subsiding soon.

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi ame_malia,

I hope you feel better soon.

Luckily I have had no pain or discomfort (haven't had to take any pain reliever yet) from the spacers or braces and hope my luck continues. The only thing I feel sometimes is the pressure (which is not painful) when they are placing the ligs or powerchain, but that only last a few seconds.

Try taking some Advil/Tylenol to give you some relief and keep telling yourself that the spacers will be removed soon. Of what I had read from other posts, most people feel better after a few days of the spacers.

Take care.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Smiley77

#6 Post by Smiley77 »

You have my complete and utter sympathy! I was in spacers about a month ago and I had heaps of pain with them too - I woke in the night and had to take both advil and panadol so I could sleep!

It is BY FAR the worst part of this whole thing, extractions included, so hang in there! Mine stopped being agony after 3 days and only were really, really painful, so you might be over the worst of it soon!

GL.
7 extractions 19 July 2006

8 spacers put in 7th August

I can't wait for that perfect smile

SDFD TSchott

#7 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I guess that means I'm one of the few lucky ones, my orthodontist said that the extractions I had created a slight spaceing between where the bands were going to go that I may not need spacers after all. So I will find out for sure in just TWO Days.

SDFD TSchott
Code 4

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Gennel

#8 Post by Gennel »

All I can tell you is to hang in there girl . It might take up to 4-5 days total to start feeling better. By the 4th day I was not in pain ,I just felt sore if I chewed hard on it. The pain at night was due to the fact that I was clenching my molars really tight and had no idea that I was doing that . This would wake me up in a lot of pain in the middle of the night. I took Tylenol every 4 hrs nonstop for at least 3 -4 days, if I remember correctly. It does get better. I had to wear them for 14 days . After a week ,the shrunk and were lose already and there was more than enough space by my appt date.

ice cream was the best for me!

Gennel

Drama Queen

#9 Post by Drama Queen »

I had spacers for a week before I had my braces put on and I have to say they are deffo the worst thing about this whole journey - so bad in fact I even considered giving up with the braces as i felt that if it was going to be this bad for the next 18 months I didn't think that I was going to cope. I have been in braces for a month and one week and it is nowhere as bad as the spacers at all.

Hang in there - once you get through spacers you can get through anything.

Lau xx