what is banding/bracketing???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ilovetosmile232

what is banding/bracketing???

#1 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

well I just has my spacer put it, and is going to stay there for 2 week.

On Sep,19,06 I'll go back for banding.... ?? what is banding??

then on Oct,3,06 I'll go back for Bracketing..? what is bracketing?? is it when the DR put the actually brace on???

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Banding is when they put metal bands round your back teeth (molars), they will go into the spaces made by the spacers. They are cemented onto the teeth.

Bracketing is when they actually put the brackets and wire on (the brace itself).

ziggyziggy

#3 Post by ziggyziggy »

just curios, but why does it take so much time in between each step? thats a lot of waiting time when the time could be used to shift your teeth already. I had spacers put on and then 3 days later came the banding and bracketing.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I don't know why. I think in my case its because my ortho is very busy. In the UK they seem to do all the work themselves and don't leave it to assistants.

So it was actually quite hard to find a 45 minute appointment for the bracketing at a time I could do without having to take leave from work.

Although having said that I did find the molar bands a bit hard to get used to at first and in a way I was kind of relieved that I had a week to get used to living with them before the brackets and wire went on. If he'd done it all at once I think it would have been more difficult to adjust to.

Ilovetosmile232

#5 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

Ya i think the waiting time is too long, I just called my orth and reshedule it both banding/bracketing to be done at the same time on Sep,21,06.

Ilovetosmile232

#6 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

the other thing is, my orth never really asked me what kind of brace I want. Don't he needs time to prepare his tools. Since he only have about 1.5 years for my banding/brackleting.

Or is this a simple procedure, as long as he has the tools in stock, is just of a matter of choosing it and putting it on??

rsprouse

#7 Post by rsprouse »

the other thing is, my orth never really asked me what kind of brace I want. Don't he needs time to prepare his tools. Since he only have about 1.5 years for my banding/brackleting.

Or is this a simple procedure, as long as he has the tools in stock, is just of a matter of choosing it and putting it on??
Clinically you only need a few days to let the spacers create enough room to slide the molar bands on. But if you leave them longer it will only make sure there is sufficient space to get the band on and it makes the ortho's life much easier.

Regarding bracketing, it can be done whenever. Most offices are hopefully run like a well oiled machine. Each procedure takes a certain amount of assistant and doctor time. You have to make sure that the right personnel is available when the patient is there to keep everyone happy and sane. Every office handles it differently, but each office has a scheduling policy which is why you see some people getting banded and bracketed quickly and others taking a few weeks.

Regards,
Rory

Ilovetosmile232

#8 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

thanks for your replies. But how about choosing the brace, as I mention b4 , my orth never asked what brace he wants and I'm putting my brace on on my next appointment. Dont he needs to ask me now so he can prepare the brace, or I just choose which brace I want and he'll put it on at the same appointment??

ziggyziggy

#9 Post by ziggyziggy »

the type of braces u get will determine price. has he not given u a price yet?