Metallic taste in mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blondie111

Metallic taste in mouth

#1 Post by blondie111 »

Does anyone have this problem?? Every once in awhile I get a taste of metal in my mouth.... not sure if it's my braces or something else (more serious?) It's not constant, mabye just a few hours or so...

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Metal taste, yes. And I think I always smell "smoke" like a fire. Go figure.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

For the first time in 7 months, I woke up in the middle of the night with a metallic taste. I did have a big night last night (drank a fair bit of wine), so that may have had something to do with it.

Lyn

#4 Post by Lyn »

YES, YES, YES!!!

I've had this happen several times.....I thought that it was something that I ate - and was giving me bad breath. I would go brush, waterpik, floss, etc. etc. to get rid of the taste.

Go figure??? What is it..........???
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

blondie111

#5 Post by blondie111 »

OK, anyone know what this is?? Or what causes it???

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

starryadora

#6 Post by starryadora »

yea, i have had that a few times too...weird..

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

susieq182

#7 Post by susieq182 »

I was on a type of medication for a few weeks that gave me a metalic taste off and on (lunesta). It may be a medication or vitamin you are taking causing the taste. Just a thought not sure if it will help anyone though.
http://www.atlantadentist.com/metallic_ ... mouth.html
I found this site that has a breif explanation of different causes of metal taste in the mouth.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

principessa

#8 Post by principessa »

Just checked out your link susieq182 - it's v. interesting cos it mentions thyroid medicine which is something I have been taking. Maybe that's what it is??? I might mention it to my ortho on my next visit though.
x

principessa

#9 Post by principessa »

But I suppose having a mouth full of metal - it's only natural we have a metally taste??