Lower incisors --movement & retention

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kodius Champion

Lower incisors --movement & retention

#1 Post by Kodius Champion »

Just a couple of questions...

1) What kind of experiences have you all had with movement of your lower incisors (ie, bottom front teeth)? Have you found that movement tends to come more easily when compared to your upper teeth, or that they took longer to move in comparison?

2) Is it common practice to have a wire cemented onto the inside of your incisors once braces are removed (sort of a permanent retainer)?

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

My bottom teeth tended to move a little slower but I have heard people say that their bottom teeth moved faster. :-)

Your retention will depend on your ortho and your case
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

My lowers moved quite a bit slower than my uppers. I even remember the assistant asking me why they were so slow (she was being silly of course).

My ortho cements the wire on the lingual side of the lower incisors as a permanent retainer.

I don't know why he does this instead of a removable Hawley on the bottom, maybe better compliance by the patient?

Good luck to you!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Kodius Champion

#4 Post by Kodius Champion »

Interesting ...

I'm curious because I just had my lower teeth braced a couple of weeks ago, and have yet to notice a sliver of movement. Of course, I've got some pretty serious crowding happening down there, but still. :(

ame_malia

#5 Post by ame_malia »

My brother has a permanent retainer behind his bottom front teeth, so I guess its something that they do for some people.

MS1

#6 Post by MS1 »

My ortho told me that I'll have a permanent retainer behind my bottom teeth, but not the top. When I asked why, he said because I have crowding on the bottom (not so on top) and if he doesn't put one in after my braces are removed, my teeth will eventually shift back to being crowded again.

OneTime

#7 Post by OneTime »

My lower incisor are moving along so well in the last twelve weeks. It must be the spring that I have in the front and a very thick wire.
Next appointment, I hope they work on turning my front incisor.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

~CanadianChick~

#8 Post by ~CanadianChick~ »

Same with me, My lowers moved so fast it was insane... I'm still waiting for my tops to follow!
~Braces Added Valentines Day 2006~

CLAmom

#9 Post by CLAmom »

My lowers moved a lot slower but maybe because they were closing lots of gaps. Anyway, I will be getting a bonded retainer on the bottom just as you have described.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Kodius Champion

#10 Post by Kodius Champion »

Hmm, so my chances of my bottom teeth moving faster then the uppers seems about 50/50 -- maybe they will, and maybe they won't! :P