gums

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tamsteve

gums

#1 Post by tamsteve »

HELLO everyone, I was wondering if anyone noticed their gums over lapping a tooth? One of my back teeth seems like the gum above it is covering my tooth. anyone have any ideas why this happens or is it normal? thanks :)

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Hi,

It could be normal or it could be inflammation due to plaque. Any swelling, redness, pain, tenderness? Any bleeding if you floss really well in the area? Spend a little extra time brushing and flossing the area and keep an eye on it. If it doesn't improve then you will want to have somebody check it out for you (not a big deal, but preventative treatment is the way to go).

Good Luck,
Rory

tamsteve

gums

#3 Post by tamsteve »

No blood when flossing, and no tenderness. I will keep an eye on it though. If i do get it checked should i go to my ortho or my regular dentist?

turrrtlelove22

#4 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

Mine did that whn my wisdome teeth were coming in. It felt really weird. Is it you wisdom tooth that it was doing it with?

juf_84

#5 Post by juf_84 »

I would speak to both your ortho and dentist about it if you are worried. Remember that your ortho is looking at the position of your teeth and bite, and your dentist is concerned with the health of your teeth and gums.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

florencegal

#6 Post by florencegal »

Hi tamsteve

If this is over one of your wisdom teeth right at the back, then I have that too. Like a little flap of gum that hangs over the tooth from the back? My ortho noticed it (obviously) when I had my first consultation and commented on it - it's just a little bit left when the wisdom tooth is pretty much completely errupted to all intents and purposes but not 100%. He said if it doesn't cause me any trouble e.g. with cleaning then it's fine, especially as all four of my wisdom teeth are pretty nicely errupted and sitting pretty. And well they might be - it's those four pesky dudes at the back that have thrown all the rest of my teeth completely out of synch! :evil:

Hope that helps - if it's not causing you any trouble or pain, to put your mind at rest just bring it up at your next consultation with your ortho or regular dentist - they'll be able to ease your worries. And in the meantime just make sure you manage to clean the tooth underneath it properly.

x

tamsteve

gums

#7 Post by tamsteve »

It is not my wisdom teeth, i had all four removed years ago. It is one of my back molars...i will be going to the ortho in 2 wks for my bottom braces so, if it doesn't give me any problems i will wait till then...:)

~CanadianChick~

#8 Post by ~CanadianChick~ »

Well i dont know if this is related to what your 2nd molers are doing but with mine the 1st and 2nd molers were tipped a bit so now that I have braces I can see more of the tooth and less of the gums.. Its like its coming up from the gum line-straightening out. I could hardly see my back teeth because the teeth were tipped back and it was a lot of gum showing.
~Braces Added Valentines Day 2006~

susieq182

#9 Post by susieq182 »

I am not sure if this is the same thing as what you have tamsteve, but my gums used to have more or less a flap that came over my lower back tooth. it never hurt and i could floss under it. I had it on both sides. When i finally had to get a splint for my TMJD I had it surgically removed in a procedure they called a "distall wedge" so the splint would fit properly. The surgery was not painful, but i had a really bad flare up of my TMJD because I had to have my mouth open so far for so long. LIke I said I am not sure if this is what you have but you should ask your dentist and ortho to look at it. If it is the same thing it isnt a big deal to have it removed, and it will make keeping those teeth clean so much easier.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07