CERAMIC VS. TRADITIONAL??????????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cablindian

CERAMIC VS. TRADITIONAL??????????

#1 Post by Cablindian »

Hello,

A few days ago, I got traditional braces on the bottom teeth :D , and I go back next week to get the top braces put on. I'm debating whether to get the ceramic braces or the traditional on top. TO CERAMIC BRACES WEARERS: I've heard that the ceramic ligs stain very easily. I don't drink coffee, and I only eat curry on rare occasions. I've also heard that ceramics take longer, although some disagree. What is your take on that?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Keith

#2 Post by Keith »

I got ceramics and in hindsight, while it doesn't matter (braces are braces are braces) my ortho told me metal braces result in quicker treatment times. On the staining, I wish I went to metal because I am a coffee drinker and I eat curry. My ligatures looked so drab at times, it was gross. I constant;y look at lot at people's teeth, and metal braces don't look bad at all. My neighbor has metal on top and her braces look very good.

While it doesn't matter a lot, I would have just done metal.

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have damon self ligating which do not require ligs, however they use clear power chains. I got power chains put on the top and bottom on Wednesday and by Thursday they were already yellow. I ate some tofu that looked really yellow. I have no idea what they put in it but it was not curry, so I wasn't thinking about it.

Other things that can stain clear ligs:

Tomato sauce
Candy with dye, like lollipops
Chocolate
tea
soy sauce
blueberries

Anyone else have a list?

Mine are yellow today but it is not really that noticeable. I don't think my teeth are all that white to begin with although they sure look white when I get fresh power chains put on !

Anyway I am glad I have not had to deal with this all throughout my treatment. Just that last couple of months.

Someday they will figure all this out and find a way to have braces not look as noticable and not need ligations that stain!

Well you could always get the ceramic, try the clear ligs for awhile and then go with silver or even some colors later. I don't think they will delay your treatment unless your front top teeth are extremely crooked. We did have one member on the board that was having trouble aligning her teeth and I think her ortho had her switch. Sorry can't remember the post. But for the most part I doubt that the treatment will take any longer with ceramics.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

eooo

#4 Post by eooo »

roughly how much faster are the metal compare to the CERAMIC???

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

We think there is no treatment difference between ceramic and metal. Your case my vary so if you are still making that decision it is best to ask your ortho. Don't rely on this board for things like that because even different orthos will tell you different things. The best thing is to listen to what your particular ortho is telling you.
Mid Forties!

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

Meryaten -
I second what you said!

It would be very nice if there could be a resolution to the discussion of metal vs. non-metal, self-ligating vs. non-self-ligating, best toothbrush, best toothpaste, best way to brush, ...

But, there isn't going to be just one answer to any of this. It does depend on your specific circumstances and your specific likes/dislikes. I have sapphire uppers, metal (Damon) lowers. I'm very happy with my non-metal uppers and I would rather set my hair on fire than wear colored ligs. But, that's just me.

And, there aren't any silver bullets in orthodontics (just silver bracket and wires).

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

There will never be a resolution to it. The only way I would even listen to anything anyone said is if we had one ortho who has used BOTH self-ligating and non-self ligating and has had success with BOTH systems. We would also need an ortho who has tons of experience with BOTH Ceramic and non Ceramic traditional braces. I doubt that this is going to happen on this board so I am not going to hold my breath for an answer. Although I do think it might be easier to find an ortho on this board who has info on the latter issue rather than the former.

All I care to do is listen to what my OWN ortho tells me who has used BOTH systems. And I have no reason to believe that he is lying to me or smoking dope or something.
Mid Forties!

Samantha08

#8 Post by Samantha08 »

I have metal on bottom and ceramic on top. Yes, the clear ligs stain but the brackets themselves dont, or at least mine havent. If you are worried about the staining, you could get colored ligs on top. Also, baking soda works pretty well to get the stains off your clear ligs, thats what I used when I ate mustard HAHAHA! :)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

Kris721

#9 Post by Kris721 »

I'm still going through all of the pre-braces preparation, so I also value any advice you might have. Although I initially thought I wanted ceramic, the list of foods that stain ligs keeps getting longer and longer and I'm not so sure I'd get colored ligs. I smoke, drink coffee and tea, love curry, mustard and spaghetti sauce. I'll basically have stained ligs during my entire treatment!

For those of you with ceramics and partake of all the staining foods, if you had to choose again, would you go with metal instead? I don't particularly care about the duration of the treatment and which type may or may not shorten the timetable.

missing_tooth

#10 Post by missing_tooth »

This is always a big debate topic. My feeling is, unless you want to sport the extra cash ( in most cases ) for ceramic braces to help hide that you have braces. ( and they are bulkier ) then go for it. Personally, I saved a bit of cash and don't try to hide braces and enjoy changing out color on adjustments.
I've seen posts here where people relate that their ortho wanted them to have metal, because their particular case needed the stronger brackets - I've never been able to wrap my head around that, since I thought that modern ortho was all and always about consistent mild forces being applied to the teeth.
In some cases yes, like mine below. Even if I chose ceramic I would still need metal on the surrounding tooth of the missing one like below.

- Missing Tooth -

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

My ortho has offered me ceramic on the top 6 teeth for no extra fee. He seems to find it hard to believe that somebody of 41 wants coloured ligs and metal brackets :lol: I haven't got the top braces yet but I think I'm going to go for metal.
I don't care who knows I have braces so why should I try to hide them?

Drama Queen

#12 Post by Drama Queen »

I have ceramic on top and bottom, as for purely cosmetic reasons I didn't want the metal ones. Being the person I am taking the plunge to be braced at 25 was a hard enough decision and I wanted them to be less noticable as possible. Most people i interact with on a daily basis have said that they didn't notice them until I mentioned it and at most people have thought that I had collagen injections to plump up my lips as they are fuller with the braces on.

I wasn't told anything about the fact that the treatment would take any longer in ceramic than they would in metal, in my opinion length of treatment depends on individual circumstances and what needs to be done. As far as I can be I am happy with my choice, and I have my bad and down days but I know that it isn't forever.

I have clear ligs and I don't find staining that bad, I just avoid the main culprits (which of course is hard) but there are ways around it. For example I love pizzas but of course i can't have tomato sauce but Pizza express do a pizza using a creamy white sauce instead and that works as an alternative. I used to be a big tea drinker but I find that if I have a really milky tea staining isn't a problem. and I then eat staning things the day before my adjustments so that the ligs are changed the next day.

In my opinion it is a completely personal choice and I would say go with what ever you are happiest with!

Lau xx
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008

bckydgardnr

#13 Post by bckydgardnr »

I have ceramics on top and metal on the bottom. I got the ceramics for the same reason many others...because I was already self concious and I am in a very public profession. About 6 - 8 months into my treatment I would have said that if I could have done it over I would have gotten all metal. However now at 19+ months I love my ceramics again. I think when I finally began with wire ties and colored powerchains that I just became happier than always worrying when I drink my beloved coffee.

Anyone that is getting braces is already self concious about their teeth and have "tricks" to cover their mouth when they smile, laugh, talk, etc. Once you get into braces and your teeth start to improve, and your smile and profile you become a lot less self concious.

If I had to do it again, I would do exactly the same. :D
Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

Iccle_Peanut

#14 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

I've noticed a few people on here that have ceramic braces STILL eat things that'll stain them????? If you don't want them to stain then avoid the foods which stain them. I love tea and i can't go a day without a coffee in the morning but when i get braced i ain't having anymore tea or coffee....i don't want stained ligs.

It's pretty obvious that if you've got ceramics if your going to eat a tikka massala your ligs are going to go a horrible colour....my curry stirring spoon used to be navy and now it's dark green!!!!!!!

What ever you go for metal/ceramic people are obviously going to notice them anyway......just go for what YOU want....you can't really listen to others advice, if you listen to others then hate the decision you make then you could blame others for it and thats not fair.....i liken it to childbirth (although i wouldn't know) some people love it and say it's painless and some people hate it!!!!! Everyone differs. :roll:
Last edited by Iccle_Peanut on Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
23rd June - First Consultation at ortho
24 July - Second Consultation - Decide on top braces
29 August - Decide on top and bottom braces.
Tops go on 26th Sept and bottoms 2-3 months after

MrKadash

#15 Post by MrKadash »

I got ceramic uppers and lowers 10 days ago because I'm being charged the same price as metal and for aesthetic value. I don't think my predicted 12 month treatment time would really matter if I had metal, give or take a few weeks.

No staining so far, and I've got clear ligs. They are so small I only notice them with my face to the mirror...