Poll: Do you smile in photos?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Attagirl2

#16 Post by Attagirl2 »

Yes, I smile so that my teeth show. I have always had a toothy smile, it is just much bigger now, trying to go around all those brackets. If I try not to smile I look goofy because the brackets push out on my cheeks and lips!
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Leslie022

#17 Post by Leslie022 »

It depends....

If I'm out in bright or natural light, then yes, I do smile for pictures.

If I'm inside where it is dark or need to use the flash, then I usually don't. The metal reflects the light very well. It's not that I'm ashamed of the braces, the extra flash of light in the photo just seems to ruin it.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Braces2.0

#18 Post by Braces2.0 »

I smile bigger with braces than I did before--even my husband commented on how pretty my smile was with braces. :)

It seems like I can either not smile at all, or smile big, because with the brackets in the way I'm not really able to half-smile. It's funny, because I was looking at old pics of myself and I realized I rarely smile big, so I will have to train myself to smile the "new" way once my braces are off.

krooner

no yet..

#19 Post by krooner »

Not yet, I'm still so new to braces. But I've noticed a slight improvement lately so maybe that will change soon! :D

juf_84

#20 Post by juf_84 »

Yep! I've always smiled in photos- although I was always very self-conscious about my teeth. Now I have braces I smile and I'm not self-conscious at all- even after two and a bit months my teeth are looking so much better. I spent last week getting photos from the college Ball organised and now I have some gorgeous photos of me and my bf framed and on display- I'm not worried about my metal mouth at all!

I should add... I'm one of those lucky ones who yes, loves her braces. That's not to say I won't be glad when they're off- but they are a part of me at the moment and they're great!

:tingrin:
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

alexa

#21 Post by alexa »

I don't usually smile in pictures, but I will say that I sure smile a lot more since I got my braces...prior to getting them, I hadn't smiled with my mouth open in 10 years... :roll:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Tin Indian

Smile

#22 Post by Tin Indian »

:D :D :D I thought at first I would not smile as much either but I felt it was harder to try to hide a bracie smile than to smile naturally.I know I have braces and the fact that others see or don't see them does not bother me as much as me trying to hide my smile to start with.I have ceramics on top and it wouldn't matter if I had metal instead-I smile the way I smile and it wouldn't be me if I didn't.I hope this makes the way you feel about your smile a little easier.
Tin Indian-over and out

sportsgrl97

#23 Post by sportsgrl97 »

i dont mind showing my braces... im proud that i took this step to bettering my life and im proud of them... anyways i dont think it looks that bad.. :lol:

bill

#24 Post by bill »

i would never smile in pictures...well not with any part of my mouth opened. when i got braces and things straightened out i started smiling.

last week the top braces came off....i haven't stopped smiling! i really just can't stop!
bill

Braces OFF: 4 October 2006....can't stop SMILING!

lemonlyme

#25 Post by lemonlyme »

I never smile in pictures showing my teeth, i hate them so much :( Sometimes I get so humiliated talking to people because i know they are thinking 'gosh get your teeth fixed' and a few times people really close to me have made fun of me..it hurts more than anything. I cant wait til i have straight teeth so i can smile in pictures and talk with confidence. :|

ghotieyes

#26 Post by ghotieyes »

I've always smiled big w/o braces, so I still smile in pictures with braces. It's only been 1.5 months, so I'm a little self conscious when people are focusing on me (like when I was a bridesmaid), but I never liked my closed mouth smile before, and I think it looks worse now w/ the protruding lips, and the hint of braces peeking out cuz I have to struggle to hide ALL my gear w/ my lips.

pippy

#27 Post by pippy »

'Fraid not...can't seem to get top lip back down over the spring between my front tooth and canine (it just gets stuck on up there :oops: ) so have been kind avoiding smiling...photos or not!!!

jaynage

#28 Post by jaynage »

I have to use an open-mouth smile in photos; for some reason, if I try to smile with my mouth closed, my bottom lip protrudes unusually far fowards. I keep having visions of myself looking like Bubba from Forest Gump, so I brave it and flash my teeth! Helps that I have ceramics though, so I'm not as self-conscious! :D

MS1

#29 Post by MS1 »

I echo sportsgrl97's sentiments exactly!
Smile on! :D

stRaighteR

#30 Post by stRaighteR »

for my first time in braces, i had them on for 3 years, and i have not ONE photo of me showing my teeth...no one would ever tell from photos that i ever wore braces...and my closed mouth smile was not cute...it looked like something was trying to force its way out of my lips...