Molar Bands and Tooth Coloring

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thisismethen

Molar Bands and Tooth Coloring

#1 Post by thisismethen »

I have had my braces on for about a week now, the soreness is finally going away. My pain problem is one molar band, when I bite down it is really sensitive (not sore) will this go away over time or is it something with a wrong size of it?

Also, on my molar bans, my teeth are still blue! My ortho said that it was food coloring and it would go away within the hour but its been a week and they are still blue! Should I give that more time as well?

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I don't know about the blue colouring, but I had the same problem with one of my molar bands feeling sensitive on biting down, and in the end went back to my ortho for him to have a look.

He said it was where the band was slightly above the edge of the tooth so when I bit down the band was touching the band on the upper tooth and making metal to metal contact. He filed the band down a bit and it was fine after that.

If it feels like a jolting electric shock kind of sensation then maybe it's that, and getting it filed down should help.

thisismethen

#3 Post by thisismethen »

yea thats exactly the way it feels :( hopefully he can file mine as well...thanks!

Orth-ohno!

#4 Post by Orth-ohno! »

I had the same problem with sensitivity. (I too posted about it) My molars were so sensitive it felt like the nerve was exposed. Just about the time I had experienced enough pain and was ready to call the doc, it went away and has never been back. (It lasted about three days.) As for the blue coloring, one of my molars has been blue since the bands went on (In Feb.). I just decided not to worry about it until after the braces come off. Until then, that's the least of my worries!

rsprouse

#5 Post by rsprouse »

The likely causes of sensitivity on molar bands are either the band is resting on cementum (root surface) or it is impinging on the tissue. If it is on the cementum then it should go away within a couple of weeks. If it continues to bother you or gets worse then you should seek treatment. The blue is cement runoff, it will naturally fleck away eventually or you can work on it with floss or even a tooth pick.

Good Luck,
Rory