What are / were your parents teeth like?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joney

What are / were your parents teeth like?

#1 Post by joney »

My Dad, born in the late 1920s had most of his teeth when he passed away, he had a lovely wide arch and straight teeth, he had a few gold crowns long before the 'bling' generation. He put his good luck down to good dental care when he was in the Air Force in his early twenties.

My Mum also born in the late 1920s, horror of horrors, had all her top teeth and most of her bottom teeth extracted in her mid twenties. She said that she had one or two that needed to be extracted and the dentist said that he might as well take them all out and give her a nice set of dentures. :shock:

By the way I'm Irish. Don't know if these same practices (my Mum's) were going on elsewhere in the world in the late 1940's / early 1950's.

I wondered if I had inherited crooked teeth from her but when I asked her she said that she couldn't remember if her teeth had been straight or crooked.

I am just curious if other people have inherited their parents teeth problems.

Joney

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

My parents had lousy teeth. My mother has/d an underbite (which she very kindly passed on to me) and my old man has been dead that long, I can't really remember, but I do remember that he'd had them all removed by the time he was into his 60's.

They both lived in an era where dentistry encouraged pulling of teeth, rather than conservation. Even as a child, I can remember a culture of pulling teeth. That's why I stayed away from the dentist as much as I could get away with!

jennandtonic

#3 Post by jennandtonic »

My parents have pretty straight teeth, however they also have had to have work on them in the past few years. Mom has had a bridge for several of her front teeth for quite a few years because when she was a teenager she bumped heads with a horse, which deadened 5 of her teeth!

And dad's had to have a bridge put in as well, though that's more recent and because of tooth and nerve decay.

I'm lucky in that I've never had a cavity or any of the problems that they've had, which include several root canals each! They both say that it probably never would have happened had they had dental insurance or even dental appointments as young adults.

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Joney, what a great question! My parents were also born in the late 20's. Dad had a very nice set of teeth. He probably only had a few cavities his entire life. They were straight and well shaped. My Mother had to have a bridge on her upper front four when she was in her late teens - Her Dad died when she was seven and Grandma (who loved candy), went to work in a Candy Factory. They got to bring home broken and mis shapen pieces, so that is where my Mom, who also has a sweet tooth, developed all her dental problems. From what she has told me, her front two laterals over lapped her incisors, but other than that, they were pretty good. I must have inherited my Mother's, from what I have had done. (All that dental work, made a serious impression on her, as she still has all her remaining teeth!)
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

joney

#5 Post by joney »

Hi Karen

Big congratulations to your parents in December for the golden wedding anniversary. That should be a very good party.

Regards
JOney :-)o

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

My mom born in the 1930's has most of her teeth. She has some gaps and her two front teeth overlap.

My dad born in the 1920's had pretty straight upper teeth except his canines were a tad high. His bottom teeth as far as I remember had some crowding. By looking at his smile in pictures it looked like he had a gorgeous smile.

I got a mixture of both parent's teeth! My cousins and other relatives on my dad's side had canines that were really high like dracula! So here I am : high canines,crowding on uppers and lowers and two front teeth were overlapped until 1 month ago! My canines are slowly starting to to move back finally!

Gennel

ladygal

scary isn't it

#7 Post by ladygal »

My mom has a small gap between her teeth between her front teeth

I had a large gap (1/4 of an inch) between my front teeth

and NOW my 2nd son has the exact same gap that I had(before braces)

VERY SCARY :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

stRaighteR

#8 Post by stRaighteR »

my dad has naturally straight teeth and a really good bite...my mom has teeth that are too large for her small mouth and an impacted canine...guess whose teeth i inherited...=\

juf_84

#9 Post by juf_84 »

My Dad, born in the 50s, has crowding, lots of fillings, some teeth re-built and has had at least one tooth pulled. His bite is not that great either. He had awful experiences with dentists as a child and didn't got for 20 years. 10 years ago he finally went to our wonderful dentist and had a lot of work done- he has had a lot of root canal therapy.

Mum, born in the 60s, has all her original teeth with no fillings. Her teeth are pretty good, not perfectly straight but very nice. She was offered braces in the 70s but decided not to go ahead. She's got a little bit of crowding on the bottom arch. She was among the first of the "flouride generation" in Australia- her Mum made sure she took her "f-tab" every day, and while she's now got some spots on her teeth from the flouride, it must have worked- 46 and no fillings!

I think I inherited Dad's bite but Mum's good teeth :-)
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

jcdamon3

#10 Post by jcdamon3 »

My parents were both born in late 20's/early 30's and both are still alive and still have all of their teeth. They may both have a few crowns but that is it - no bridges no missing teeth, etc. My mom has gappy front teeth and my dad has crowded front teeth. I got the crowded ones.

My Grandmothers on both sides who were born in early 1900's or so also died with all of most of their teeth. Just some crowns and/or a few missing teeth.

The only person that I can think of that had false teeth was my great grandmother who was born in the late 1800's.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Kris721

#11 Post by Kris721 »

My parents were born in the 1940s and neither took very good care of their teeth. My mother's were small, even with a pretty decent bite - until they started falling out! All my life I never saw her go to the dentist. My father's teeth are falling out due to neglect and his fear of the dentist. At this point, he'll need just about all of them removed because I don't think a bridge will cut it. He has an overbite but beyond that, it's hard to tell. I definitely inherited his jacked-up teeth! Because of my parent's neglect of their teeth and what their mouths look like now, I am a bit obsessive about mine.

hannah164

#12 Post by hannah164 »

My parents both had braces as kids! My Mom had a pretty nice smile as a child and a beautiful smile now! White and straight with a nice bite! She does still continue to wear her retainers occasionally!

My dad, I got his teeth, his jaw, and his chin. My teeth are much more complicated than his were but I inherited a lot of his problems! I'm assuming he didn't wear his retainers becuase his teeth have shifted and they aren't so straight anymore!
I hope I don't pass on my complicated crooked teeth to my children! :lol:

~hAnnah

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

ame_malia

#13 Post by ame_malia »

My dad had braces when he was a kid, and he's always taken very good care of them ever since, so he has nice teeth. My mom's teeth are ok, not horribly crooked or anything, I suppose braces might make them perfectly straight, but her teeth are so stained from the vast amounts of coffee that she drinks that she doesn't think it would improve the overall apperance. She also has a partial, although I'm not exactly sure what happened to make her need that, but I don't think she got the best dental care as a child, being the youngest of 10 in a family with not much money, whereas my dad's parents had enough money to get his teeth fixed when he was a kid. I suppose he could have passed down his crooked teeth, considering both my brother and I both need(ed) braces.

jcdamon3

#14 Post by jcdamon3 »

I hope I don't pass on my complicated crooked teeth to my children! Laughing
It doesn't matter what genes you pass down to your children as long as you pass down the most important thing: Good hygiene habits and every 6 months visits to the dentist. Also the dentist visit should be very matter of fact - not fraught with fear. If the kids see you nervous they will be nervous. I always loved going to the dentist so I could feel that nice clean feeling on my teeth! Okay I know I am weird.

Anyway even if you can't afford braces for your kids at least pass down the other important stuff.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Jillianleab

#15 Post by Jillianleab »

My dad had good teeth, never really had a lot of cavities, and they were straight for the most part. His bottoms were a little crowded, but that's about it. Both my brothers got his teeth. My mom has bad teeth. Prone to decay, lots of staining, but overall, not too crooked. She has a bit of an overjet as well. She has a fear of the dentist, which she passed on to the three kids. As a kid I always had a lot of cavities (so did one of my older brothers), and she never pushed braces on me. Since I got braces, I thought she was getting better about her teeth as she mentioned getting a whitening treatment done. I have a friend who had extreme sensitivity issues after having that done (she said she couldn't touch paper, it felt like nails on a chalkboard) and I told her about it. She immediatly said "No way, not a chance, I won't do it". She also refused to have x-rays done at her last cleaning (not too sure why). My oldest brother has fairly straight teeth, but has an overjet, and my other brother has straight teeth except for one tooth that overlaps a little onto his front teeth. I know he hasn't been to the dentist in a long time, and he's also bad about brushing, so I'm sure after all this time his teeth are full of holes. I was hoping since I got braces it would encourage him, but I guess not! No one in my family has ever had braces (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc), so I'm thrilled to be the first and be the one to have the best teeth of everyone!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806