Powerchain Pain!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dcw

POWER CHAINS

#16 Post by dcw »

I love the way they move teeth and bring teeth together! So far they're my favourite part of this journey!
Braced Since 4/2005 been wearing double power chains on top for about 6 months. - A little sensitive when they go on, but used to them.

My biggest complaint, Less colors available

51 YO Male Califonia

OneBluCrayon

#17 Post by OneBluCrayon »

:ouch: Wow, so this chain is kinda old... I havent been on as much as i used to be. Its kind of sad too because i used to keep a very accurate account and pictorial of my brace adventure, but then... i got a new phone and it takes sucky pics so i slacked off...

Anyways, in relation to this post... It seems that these last 6 months has been the worst pain wise than my entire treatment.

Powerchains definatly s :soremouth: ck! Since about March of 05 i have been wearing powerchains... Since about may i have been in "super powerchains" They are killer on my teeth. Basically whats been happening is every 3 weeks i have a sore mouth for about a week. They have been moving this gap from one side of my mouth to the other, one space at a time. I finally got my last (hopeful) closing appointment for gaps. Its really hurting (I just had my appt today) and its was the same as always. They put on a metal tie to join the two teeth where the gap is, put a lig on it, and then put a powerchain connecting the start of the gap tooth all the way to my last molar. :GapToothed:

Another sucky thing is that i have only been able to get silver for all these months because this "superchain" only comes in clear or silver. Today i finally was able to get some color put in on the bottom which is nice to have again. :BigGrin:

So far i am about 3 months past my expected removal date. They are telling me that they should be off soon. I calculate this into being about 9-12 weeks. PLEEEEEZE Let them be off before christmas!!!! (MY two year mark) I am really good about wearing my rubber bands and taking care of my teeth.... its just taking sooo long. I have lost the thrill of having my braces and just cant wait to get them off now. :?
If you're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!
Banded: Dec 24, 2004

KriegeR

#18 Post by KriegeR »

I can fully sympathise with you over the power chains. I've had small chains on in the past over 2 or 3 teeth, but at my last appointment I was fitted with a 12 link chain which goes across the whole of my bottom teeth. 2 of the teeth have 2 powerchains fitted, (presumably for extra POWER), to close a gap.

Although I don't notice the pain too much because I can't bite properly anyway, if I gently push my tongue against my bottom front teeth, I certainly know the chain is there! :shock:

Cablindian

POWERCHAINS IN MY FUTURE....

#19 Post by Cablindian »

My ortho told me that powerchains are definitely in my future. :cry: :cry: Right now, it's all about getting used to the forces on the teeth. From what I hear, powerchains move the teeth faster. Is this true in most (or all) cases? If so, I'm ready to get them on NOW! I have to keep telling myself: NO PAIN, NO GAIN!!!!

Teigyr

#20 Post by Teigyr »

I just learned about the powerchain! I was released back to go to the orthodontist after my surgery which was 5/09. My ortho had delayed on doing some of my back teeth due to the lack of space in my mouth but now he banded a 12 year molar which is facing the wrong way. The bracket is on the inner/back of the tooth and it is chained with wire and a powerchain to try to rotate it. This all happened yesterday.

I'm not a wuss and have tolerated braces and the surgery with no problems but this is OUCH! It isn't the tooth pain especially but it makes my head hurt and my stomach feels constantly not right.

I can empathize.

Unfortunately I can eat (gingerly) so I don't foresee any weight loss but the constant pounding on my jawbone/head has got to stop!!

Oh well, powerchains mean we're almost done. Right?!!!

:D

Chris

#21 Post by Chris »

I'm not a wuss and have tolerated braces and the surgery with no problems but this is OUCH! It isn't the tooth pain especially but it makes my head hurt and my stomach feels constantly not right. Oh well, powerchains mean we're almost done. Right?!!!:D
I'm been feeling "qwieesy" stomach wise for months now.
Personally, because of teeth pain, I just don't WANT to eat anymore!
Either that or its the nausea.

As for your question about powerchains meaning you're almost done...well, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I'm not holding my breathe any more. :x
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

lionfish

#22 Post by lionfish »

Teigyr wrote:
Oh well, powerchains mean we're almost done. Right?!!!

:D
Regrettably, not in my case. I started powerchains at 4 months and at 7 months I'm still in them (lower arch only). I know there are at least another 5 adjustments to come.

But in defence of powerchains, they do work well at closing gaps. I'm with KK, they're great.

Chris

#23 Post by Chris »

[/quote]But in defence of powerchains, they do work well at closing gaps. I'm with KK, they're great.[/quote]

Well, so far the gaps haven't closed with them; they just cause me PAIN!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Teigyr

#24 Post by Teigyr »

oh.

What is with the nausea anyway, is it just the constant pain that does it? I got the powerchain (and band) on yesterday and it hit about 5 hours later. It isn't like I have the stomach flu or anything, it's more like I don't want to eat or drink anything but water. If I take ibuprofen, my stomach burns and if I don't, my head pounds! Actually it still pounds even if I take drugs but it isn't as bad.

I was kind of hoping I'd build tolerance to it all but if Chris is still feeling it after months, yikes. I will hope the tooth turns quickly!!!

I know I'm within 8 mos or so of my braces being off. I had most of my work done pre-surgery and now it's the details that have to be taken care of. Dang those details hurt though!!!

MsTiaLia

#25 Post by MsTiaLia »

Ugh, I have had this powerchain for about 2 hours and I dislike it already!

Oh, to the person who replied before me, I wish I could explain what it is exactly, but I can't and I'm really in no position to figure it out:( If no one answers by the time this pain subsides, I'll try to figure out what this new item is and let you know!

Teigyr

#26 Post by Teigyr »

Thank you :D

It's getting better and today I have not taken drugs. I think part of it was keeping my mouth open for hours (ortho to remove wire then dentist for cleaning then ortho then x-rays then new bands in the back) which is the most I've done since I've had the surgery. Having the bracket face the inside/back of my mouth is abrasive when I eat/talk but I'm sure it will get better.

Meryaten, was an excellent idea regarding the milk. I actually did that yesterday, straight out of the carton no less!!!

Thanks KK. I hope you feel better soon! Tenderness = progress I think.

MsTiaLia (my cat's name is Tiamat!), I hope you feel better soon also!