On 1st adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

On 1st adjustment

#1 Post by newmetal »

What happens? Do they change the wire or and the lig? I have mine in quite a while but im just a bit curious...what were your experiences on your 1st adjustment, is it different from the others?

many thanks

Smiley77

#2 Post by Smiley77 »

I had my very first adjustment this morning, and all they did was change the ligs.
7 extractions 19 July 2006

8 spacers put in 7th August

I can't wait for that perfect smile

juf_84

#3 Post by juf_84 »

Hi!

Everyone's adjustments are different. I had my wires changed and my elastics regime was increased. I don't have ligs so no need to change them.

It was a bit painful when my ortho was closing the doors on my brackets but you probably won't experience this! It's a good idea to take some OTC pain meds beforehand though, just in case.

I'm excited about my next adjustment too, even though it is ages away!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

blackcat20

#4 Post by blackcat20 »

I had both my wires changed at my first adjustment, and unfortunately for me my adjustments are always painful; they were when I was a kid, and they are even worse now that im older. For the first adjustment I had really bad lower jaw pain for about three days; this time around (2nd adjustment today) ive just had the bottom wire changed, and the jaw pain isnt quite as bad....

Drama Queen

#5 Post by Drama Queen »

Everyones adjustments are different. I had my first adjustment about 2 weeks ago and the ortho changed my lower arch wire, adjusted my upper archwire and put a wire tie on one of my teeth and changed the clear ligs on all of my brackets. I had pain for the next 3 days but after that it has been fine. Got 2nd adjustment in 2 weeks where I will be getting my elastics.

Lau xx
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008

BeeBee

#6 Post by BeeBee »

On my first adjustment my ortho just changed the ligs. On my second adjustment he put on a much thicker wire. He didn't say why he did this and I didn't realise it was a lot thicker until I'd left the office. Does anyone kinow whether this thicker wire is a good or bad thing? Does it mean my teeth are particularly stubborn or that it is just the next stage of treatment?

BeeBee

#7 Post by BeeBee »

Great :D so glad it is a good thing getting thicker wire. I've had my upper braces on for just under 3 months and my teeth do seem to be better aligned, they just need pushing back a lot (I have an overbite).

My ortho doesn't really explain stuff or say how my teeth are doing - he just does things to my teeth and then gets me out of the office as soon as possible. Thats why I think this website is great for utilising the experience of you guys who have been in braces longer.