Be careful when eating mustard...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

babykitten75

Be careful when eating mustard...

#1 Post by babykitten75 »

Hi All!

I made a BIG MISTAKE one day when I ate mustard on my sandwich

The bonding (glue) on my teeth around my brackets turned yellow and my white ligatures turned yellow - SO TO ALL of you out there - BE CAREFUL WHEN EATING MUSTARD!

Usually you can't even see the glue around my brackets unless you look super close but after eating the mustard, it was bright yellow and my poor ligs! I brushed my teeth right away with Crest Whitening Toothpaste and it was still a faint yellow!!!

Luckily, I had an appointment a few days later to get a wire snipped since it was digging into my cheek and while I was there, they decided to tighten my braces and change my ligs - YAY! - instead of me coming in 2 weeks later like I was supposed to. Now I have bright/neon pink ligs and never again am I getting white ones!

Has anyone else had a horrible teeth/ligature staining experience?

Thanks for all replies in advance!

:tingrin:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 20, 2006
2 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 27, 2006
5 spacers put in: Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Spacers out, full braces in: Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Brace Treatment Time: 22 - 26 months.

Smiley77

#2 Post by Smiley77 »

LOL I thought you were going to say WHOLEGRAIN mustard...that stuff goes EVERYWHERE, I was picking little balls of it out for hours (and that is after I cleaned my teeth lol)
7 extractions 19 July 2006

8 spacers put in 7th August

I can't wait for that perfect smile

Smiley77

#3 Post by Smiley77 »

Probably cos my teeth are way crookeder than yours! They got stuck in my teeth more than braces.

Another thing to look forward to :) Mmm Mustard and ham sandwiches lol (WITH the crust on :P)
7 extractions 19 July 2006

8 spacers put in 7th August

I can't wait for that perfect smile

juf_84

#4 Post by juf_84 »

I would love a bit of colour on my braces... but it's threads like these that make me thankful for my plain old metal self-ligating brackets. I'd still eat them with gusto if I had ligs though! I just love mustard, curries etc.

Good to hear you're going with the bright ligs!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Now that I come to think of it, the bonding glue on one of my teeth is rather yellow. I thought it might be plaque build up, but now maybe it's mustard, or turmeric, or some other food colouring. Whatever.

juf_84

#6 Post by juf_84 »

I hear you lionfish! It's not worth giving up all those yummy foods so our ligs/glue/teeth/brackets stay bright and shiny!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

TheUnk311

#7 Post by TheUnk311 »

So that is what did it! The bonding around my brackets started turning slightly brown/yellow.. Wasn't sure why (was worried at first, thought my teeth had some bad decay!) but now I realize that the past few weeks I started putting brown mustard on my sandwiches instead of mayo :o

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Meryaten wrote:
I hear you lionfish! It's not worth giving up all those yummy foods so our ligs/glue/teeth/brackets stay bright and shiny!
Word!

Although I am not bold enough to try any liquorice flavour ice cream whilst I am braced - had some once that turned my tongue and lips totally black - wouldn't want to take even the tiniest risk of that happening to my brackets!!
Well, on the subject of licorice, I had a craving a few weeks ago and bought a big bag to scoff in the car on the way home from a site visit. I thought if anything was going to colour my braces bits to kingdom come, this would be it. I was pleasantly surprised. It did nothing to my ligs and elastics, and my ceramics are as pristine as ever. It did get jammed just about everywhere and was a pain to remove!!

I've since had a few more curries and guess what......da powerchains are lime green again......

BTW, I'm working on what stains elastics and have come up with nothing yet, including copious quantities of turmeric. Nothing seems to stain elastics for me. :shock:

babykitten75

#9 Post by babykitten75 »

Hey, thanks for everyone's posts

I still love to eat my mustard but I make sure to brush well after

I haven't given up any foods I like either, well, unless my teeth or gums hurt - then I'd just wait til it stops hurting then I can eat it again - YAY!

Speaking of which, how come we can't eat Doritos but can eat other hard foods as long as they are cut into pieces? I don't know what the difference would be - Doritos aren't that hard! LOL - I love to munch on them for a snack (and I still do!) - has anyone really popped off a bracket eating chips or Doritos or Tacos or anything for that matter?

3 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 20, 2006
2 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 27, 2006
5 spacers put in: Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Spacers out, full braces in: Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Brace Treatment Time: 22 - 26 months.

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

I've not had problems with either Doritos or taco chips. I'm also a big fan of the kettle chip, again no problems here.

I did blow a bracket eating cheese straws and avoided them for a while. I'm eating them again because I like them too much.

Just go carefully with some foods e.g. nuts.

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

Well, I must try some rogan josh then, mustn't I?

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

Will have to put Mr Patak's RG mix on the shopping list.

Tonight is chili con carne night, a sure fire stainer what with all the tomato, paprika, chili, etc. etc.

lionfish

#13 Post by lionfish »

Oh, marinara, what a wonderful thought! Maybe tomorrow night.

MsTiaLia

#14 Post by MsTiaLia »

A couple of weeks after getting my braces (with pink ligs) I went to a street fair and had a sausage dog with onions and peppers and all that good stuff and topped it with some good 'ole mustard. Oh, it was sooooooo good! That is, of course, until the next day when I looked in the mirror to find that my lovely pink ligs were a gross shade of orange!!! Someone suggested that I rinse with some lemon juice and have a few glasses of lemonade (which I didn't mind at all!) Surprisingly, it worked! So now I always keep lemon juice at home:)

new boy james

#15 Post by new boy james »

I had a scary staining experience just today actually. I had a chicken curry for lunch after forgetting my ortho's warnings and got home to discover my tooth-coloured ligs and powerchains had turned yellow!! D'oh!! Only just had them changed the other day so it's not like i can have 'em changed for another 4 weeks now!!

But I brushed immediately and it's faded a bit, so I'm not too bothered. I'm so used to my braces now it's not much of an issue. :D
"You get nothing but nothing if that's what you do" - Guns'n'Roses