Anyone snowski? Do you need to wear a tooth protector?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kat

Anyone snowski? Do you need to wear a tooth protector?

#1 Post by Kat »

I'm going skiing this winter three or four times and do have a concern about whacking my mouth. Does anyone use teeth protectors or anything?
It might be helpful I think.

JoeMama

#2 Post by JoeMama »

Hi Kat - I downhill ski (and mountain bike) a lot and don't wear a tooth protector. I've taken some good falls and I've been fine. My ortho told me I shouldn't wear one unless I was doing impact sports (like football?).

The funny thing about skiing, is that if you tend to smile because you're having fun, the brackets cool off. They're not freezing or anything, but you can feel the difference.

Have fun!! :D :D
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Samantha08

#3 Post by Samantha08 »

Well... I dont think I would ever wear one while I was snow skiing, but I dont think I've ever hit my mouth on a fall. If you think that you might need one, go ahead. I guess it depends on how well you ski and if you think you might fall on your face.
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

metalmouth moi

ski

#4 Post by metalmouth moi »

Hi Kat,
Did some skiing last winter sans mouth guard, but I always wear a helmet. Hopefully I'll fall on my noggin instead of my face LOL. As Joe Mama said I found my mouth got cold , but popped on a neck warmer and things were much better. Here's to your having fun on the slopes this season !
Moi
metal braces upper and lower May 12/05

KriegeR

#5 Post by KriegeR »

I went skiing last year to Les Menuires in the French Alps. At the time I was a lower-end amateur, so falling in a heap was a fact of life for the first couple of days, (thanks to ESF for tutoring me and helping me to stay on my feet).

Despite the bumps, tumbles, and wipeouts, I didn't suffer any impacts anywhere near my brace. Legs and arms seemed to be the worst affected.

However my holiday insurance company did question whether I was a liability or not with wearing braces. I had to give my assurance that the brace was in 100% condition, and was not likely to fail resulting in me making a claim on my holiday insurance, for seeking emergency orthodontic treatment abroad.

Sherri

#6 Post by Sherri »

I ski as well and I don't wear any protection for my mouth. Maybe I should though I found with braces my mouth got really cold when I was going down the slopes and it was only mabe -2 !!