Do They Remove Your Braces for Impressions for Retainers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

victory1

Do They Remove Your Braces for Impressions for Retainers?

#1 Post by victory1 »

My next appointment is impressions and that's on 10/23, but then I have another one 2 weeks later on 11/7? Will they remove my braces on 10/23 or 11/7?

KriegeR

#2 Post by KriegeR »

Hi Victory1,

I was in hospital on Monday for pre-assessment impressions, and here in the UK anyway, impressions are done with the brackets, molar bands, and wires in place. The only thing they will remove are the ligs so that they don't get stuck in the forming clay.

It is certainly a bit difficult getting the impressions off again once they have set, as they get stuck on all the metalwork. However with some gentle coaxing and manipulation, they come away leaving a perfect cast of your teeth and braces! :)

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I think they do it both ways. Also, some orthos can make temporary retainers right there in their office, so it just depends. I have heard people say that they take the impressions with the braces on and I have heard people say they take the braces off, make the impressions and wait two weeks for the retainers.

I would be dieing to know! Why don't you call and ask?
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Rebraced

#4 Post by Rebraced »

I got my wires removed last week for my impressions. After that they put the wires back on with new powerchains and next week the braces come off and I'll have my new retainers. I guess some orthos make your retainers the same day. By the way they showed me a box full of colors that I could choose from for my retainers. As far as the impressions go, they had an unlimited number of flavors to choose from. So many colors so many decisions lol.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties